Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 03:20 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Isn't that a dress code violation? Why not just write him up every day? My intention isn't to upset you, but to help you. What if he steps on a piece of glass or a rusty nail? If the administration finds out that you've been aware of him walking around barefoot, Isn't there a possibility that you can get in trouble?
Ironic post, well-timed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2015, 04:07 AM

7,184 posts, read 9,317,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
They aren't putting up with it. Teacher lifespan is about 5 years in the profession. I made it 7. I work with three or four other people who are former teachers. All of us say we'd never go back.
This ^^^

Almost all the teachers I've met put up with it for about 5 years.

Successful professionals thrive in an environment where they have autonomy and receive rewards and recognition for a job well done.

Unfortunately, teachers have neither.

No Autonomy: They are told what and how to teach; mostly just to prepare students for the tests.

No rewards: Their compensation starts low and grows slowly based on a table; no reward for exceptional performance.

So if you see yourself in this situation, go find a better deal.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:01 PM

150 posts, read 97,136 times
Interesting comments. I left the electrical contracting field a few years ago and have been driving a school bus for the past 7 years. I also substitute teach. So a couple of years ago I decided to start college (age 52 then) this past summer I decided I should just become a teacher and stay in the Teachers Retirement System. I am about to graduate from my Junior College and move on to a four year institute. By the way I was a high school drop out. I chose secondary math education because I thought it would be easy. So far I was right. I never took Algebra or Geometer or Trig or Calculus and it is so much fun. If I do well this semester I will graduate from the two year school with a 4.0. I am considering applying for the TEACH grant since all of our local schools qualify. Any suggestions?

Old 12-29-2015, 02:37 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,703,351 times
HamFan, where are you located?

Old 12-29-2015, 05:02 PM

150 posts, read 97,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
HamFan, where are you located?
Alabama

Old 01-01-2016, 08:59 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
This is my third career. I often say I was "called." I then say I wish I had not answered!

Coming from government and big business (Fortune 100) the harsh reality is that teaching is valued less in business than by the general populace.

I would opine, that in fact, in trying to get a job with a major company, teaching is a detractor. Well, I know it is.

Too many teachers want security, structure, and seek a relatively risk free environment. This is exactly what leading, cutting edge and hugely profitable companies do not want in employees.

I came to teaching with about 6 years left in my working life. Again, I felt called to share my math and science skills with young people. This is my last year and OBTW, what an illusion.

If more teachers worked in successful companies, and saw how things should go, and then came to teaching, there would be no teachers. They would all leave quickly.

The education segment is that messed up.

Like the ol' NASCAR driver once said, "It was a good life if you did not know any better."

Teaching is terrible, but teachers, seldom know how terrible because they only have the wretched experience of teaching to use as comparison.

And it is not the children that make it this way, either!

Teaching is my second career, and I agree with what you said 100%. I left industry to try to have a positive influence on kids and motivate them to enjoy science.

What I didn't realize is that teaching is less like teaching and more like babysitting. Most kids do not want to learn anything and are happy just googling answers. There is zero work ethic in teenagers and if my classroom were a business, I would fire 90% of the kids. They just don't give a crap about learning or their future.

When I compare working in a school with working in industry, I realize why our schools are terrible today.

First, schools are run by people with degrees in education, which is likely the easiest degree you can obtain. Which is also the reason so many teachers stay in teaching, they don't know better because that's all they've done, plus there are no jobs for people with degrees in history/education, or English/education, or phys ed/education. Look at many principals, they have degrees in phys ed. How does that equate to being a leader and managing 2000 people?

Second is that parents have too much say in education. Why does some housewife sitting on the board of ed have a say in pedagogical policy? Why do schools bend to parents that just want to push their kids through.

I see that graduation rates have increased in the US last year. This is laughable. There is no doubt that schools are just pushing kids through, kids that do no work and have learned nothing. Which explains why college graduation rates are between 20% and 60%. Kids think that they can do nothing, like in high school, and someone will just give them college diploma.

The whole system is messed up. We have to hold kids accountable for learning and stop just pushing them through. The kids that are discipline problems should be removed from regular school and sent to military type schools to learn what their parents failed to teach them. And if you want to really put an end to the problems with inner-city schools, ship those kids out of the ghetto away from their drug addicted parents and gang members. Ship them to boarding schools where they can be cared for and taught how to live a normal life and obtain an education. Yes, this would cost a fortune, but so does housing criminals in prisons or funding wars that are not our business.

Old 01-01-2016, 09:25 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
I see that graduation rates have increased in the US last year. This is laughable. There is no doubt that schools are just pushing kids through, kids that do no work and have learned nothing. Which explains why college graduation rates are between 20% and 60%. Kids think that they can do nothing, like in high school, and someone will just give them college diploma.
Actually college completion rates have not changed since the 1970s when the government first began gathering statistics on this. Note that kids who start at 4 year colleges do better than those who start at community colleges and that students may take longer than 4 years, but are still completing degrees.

*-*The Future of Children -

Quote:
Viewed historically, rates of completion at four-year institutions have been unchanged since the federal government began collecting data during the 1970s. A recent study suggests that there has been a slight uptick in the persistence rate at public four-year colleges. Although that increase may seem contradictory, it likely reflects the longer time it now takes students in four-year colleges, particularly at less selective public institutions, to earn degrees. Historical data on students attending community college go back only to 1990, but show no significant change in persistence or completion.
Quote:
From a public policy standpoint, it makes little sense to promote greater college access if students are failing once they get there. Figuring out how to boost college completion is the challenge. The United States has seen no progress on this measure since the advent of statistics on it and is losing ground to other nations in the share of the adult population with college degrees.

Old 01-02-2016, 06:43 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Actually college completion rates have not changed since the 1970s when the government first began gathering statistics on this. Note that kids who start at 4 year colleges do better than those who start at community colleges and that students may take longer than 4 years, but are still completing degrees.
Quote:
From a public policy standpoint, it makes little sense to promote greater college access if students are failing once they get there. Figuring out how to boost college completion is the challenge. The United States has seen no progress on this measure since the advent of statistics on it and is losing ground to other nations in the share of the adult population with college degrees.
*-*The Future of Children -
Can we please, please, please not achieve this the same way we increased high graduation rates? I suspect we are already marching that direction, but I sincerly hope we are not going to dummy content the down so fewer fail classes, reduce the requirements to graduate to make it easier, or shift the responsibility of completing college from the student to the institution. We will destroy the credibility of our institutes of higher learning and cheapen the value of a college education/diploma as surely as we did to high school education when we did those things in the quest to making sure more people got a high school diploma. We have a tendency to lower standards because it is easier than increasing competency. It also doesn't require us to address the real causes of lower performance of individuals, which generally starts in the womb and research has shown us is pretty much ingrained in a person by the time they first walk through a classroom door.

Old 01-03-2016, 03:12 PM

4,861 posts, read 6,926,010 times

Old 01-07-2016, 11:50 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,259 times
A lot of teachers hate their job and it's obvious to the kids in class. Many of them don't even like teaching, it's just that education was the only major they could pass in college
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching