Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 08:15 AM

83 posts, read 129,746 times

Advertisements

I'm starting teaching this coming school year (2016-2017), and while I can very easily live off of the salary I'll be earning, I'm looking to beef it up if at all possible and assume additional responsibilities. What other duties do you guys take on during the school year or in the summer to add to your paycheck? Club advisers, team leaders, curriculum-planning, directing plays, coaching sports, etc. Do you feel like you're compensated fairly for the amount of work you put in? Do you find your schools are interested in bringing in first-year teachers to a lot of these positions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 01:55 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,374,544 times
At our elementary school level there are some of those extra responsibilities and a few others but they are not paid.

I have taught summer school before. It wasn't bad. It was four weeks, four hours a day (three hours with students) at the teacher's hourly rate.

Old 01-05-2016, 03:51 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,581,745 times
Summer school (2 1/2 weeks, for third round retest of state STAAR tests), web master, grade level chair.

Very few stipended positions in elementary school.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:13 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,019,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fearlessly View Post
I'm starting teaching this coming school year (2016-2017), and while I can very easily live off of the salary I'll be earning, I'm looking to beef it up if at all possible and assume additional responsibilities. What other duties do you guys take on during the school year or in the summer to add to your paycheck? Club advisers, team leaders, curriculum-planning, directing plays, coaching sports, etc. Do you feel like you're compensated fairly for the amount of work you put in? Do you find your schools are interested in bringing in first-year teachers to a lot of these positions?
Most of that stuff was not paid in my school. I taught summer school and taught classes in an after school program, which paid a lot. I also sometimes taught adult ed at night, which didn't pay so well. First year teachers had as much chance as anyone else - actually they were more likely to do those things, because the others didn't need the money enough.

Old 01-05-2016, 06:53 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,293,460 times
At the elementary level they do have clubs, extra tutoring programs, evening parent meetings, after school sports teams, etc. etc. but, at least in my district, none of those things were paid.

Teaching summer school was paid.

Funny and sad story. Our district used to have a district wide music festival, with practices and performances in the evenings. This was an annual event that had been going on for at least 20 years. Purely by accident the elementary music teachers found out that all that time the MS & HS music teachers were being paid extra to do the festival & had "mini-contracts" for the extra contact time & work and the elementary music teachers were not paid extra even though they had more after school practices and the same amount of group rehearsals & shows. To add insult to injury once this was discovered instead of paying the elementary level teachers extra, like their MS & HS counterparts, the district stopped having the music festival because the elementary teachers refused to continue to "volunteer their time".

Old 01-05-2016, 08:12 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,612,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Funny and sad story. Our district used to have a district wide music festival, with practices and performances in the evenings. This was an annual event that had been going on for at least 20 years. Purely by accident the elementary music teachers found out that all that time the MS & HS music teachers were being paid extra to do the festival & had "mini-contracts" for the extra contact time & work and the elementary music teachers were not paid extra even though they had more after school practices and the same amount of group rehearsals & shows. To add insult to injury once this was discovered instead of paying the elementary level teachers extra, like their MS & HS counterparts, the district stopped having the music festival because the elementary teachers refused to continue to "volunteer their time".
Yep. The middle school music teachers receive many times what I do for school concerts though they have the same number of concerts per year. I get a whopping $495, MS teachers get $2500.

I do run several extra-curricular activities. Choir- I usually make $1500 a year, about $20 per hour. Band- before school, I make about the same as choir. My stipend is comes from the amount that students pay for the activity, so the more students I recruit, the more I make. I have 50 students in band and 70 in choir. I also run All-State Choir rehearsals for a very select group of students for free.

At my school, we have had, or currently have: cheerleading (very popular! 80 students signed up), cup stacking, student council, playground pals, and sports.

Last edited by captain_hug99; 01-05-2016 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: forgot some things

Old 01-06-2016, 04:06 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,581,745 times
Our district did something similar for the campus web page coordinators. Elementary receive $500/year, MS $750/yr, and HS/$1000 per year.

The "assumption" is that MS and HS are posting more info to be updated more frequently. The reality is that they don't even have teachers listed by department. Just one long campus listing.

Old 01-09-2016, 02:10 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,967,119 times
Taught at the high school level and took on Class Adviser positions, National Honor Society, New Teacher Orientation, School Activity Fund Treasurer ~ although not all at the same time or during the same school year. Spent way more hours and time with little compensation, but did it more to have a relationship outside of the classroom with more students. In the beginning years I also HAD to work every summer at camps, swim clubs or teaching summer school, as we were only paid 20x during the school year, the checks stopped in June. In later years I did Department Head duties, mentored new teachers, wrote curriculum and supervised a placement program where I had to work a certain number of hours during the summer in preparation for the Fall start. So yes, I always did something extra to "boost" the salary.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:55 AM

393 posts, read 412,085 times
An hour morning supervision prior to start of actual school day, 16$ and hour. I will usually fill in for another "sick" teacher about twice a month, earning 30$, so roughly and extra 300 plus a month.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 AM

16,824 posts, read 17,810,840 times
Most stipend psoitions are around $3K here, the exception being senior year Class advisor which is about $3500.

No they are not really worth it, unless you are just phoning it in. You will put in many, many hours in most districts doing these.

As a science teacher I also work two weeks of a science camp, and the pay is $2k a week for 5 hours of contact time. It is very nice money. Also, I am in charge of our research lab during the summer, and that is part-time at the teacher hourly rate which is about $30 an hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching