Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2016, 09:12 AM

4 posts, read 3,042 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I've been following these forums for a while but this is my first post, so let me introduce myself:

I'm a 29-year old former engineer who's looking to make a career change to teaching. I have both a BS and MS in mechanical engineering with about 2 years of industry experience.

I'd like to teach high school math, and I'm open to teaching in almost any state in the US. Only problem is, I've looked at some certification programs that require either a BA in math or 30 or so units of undergraduate -level math work. Unfortunately, I don't have either of those. I would probably have to go back to school for a couple semesters to get those 30 units (not ideal).

My questions is this: for those of you who have certification in your state - did the state require you to have a bachelor's degree in the subject area you got certification for? I realize some programs may have this requirement, but I'm hoping to find a program that doesn't require it if the state doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 09:17 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,647,244 times
Yes, in the case of secondary ed.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:32 PM

11,654 posts, read 12,733,935 times
It is not required in mine. You just need the appropriate number of credits and meet the specific requirements for the courses. It doesn't have to be part of a degree and it can be undergraduate or graduate or a combination.

However, in my state you would still need a master's in secondary ed and take education classes. But that's o.k., almost everyone has 2-3 master's degrees because in public school that gives a significant salary increase.

You might want to consider getting a second certification in physics, as well.

Old 02-20-2016, 08:05 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,743,585 times
You have seen the teeny tiny tip of the education bureaucracy. It is just the beginning. Education administrators simply want to cove their butt so they stick to requirements that have no meaning. I don't think you are going to get around it.

If you have to go back to school, get a MEd. Probably less credits and a lot more flexibility.

Good Luck.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:51 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,727,797 times
Is there something else you could teach besides math?

That's the unfortunate thing about getting into teaching from another career. Even if you have two degrees, unless you have the credit hours in the content area, some states won't budge.

Old 02-22-2016, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 3,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Is there something else you could teach besides math?

That's the unfortunate thing about getting into teaching from another career. Even if you have two degrees, unless you have the credit hours in the content area, some states won't budge.
When I look back at the courses I took as both an undergrad and grad student, the only secondary school subject that I might have enough credits for is math. I suppose I could also be certified for something like middle school science, which might not require a BS in physics or chemistry.

Old 02-23-2016, 05:23 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,245,241 times
Our state grants Expert Citizen Licenses to people with a bachelor's degree and some experience. The licensee has one year to complete a series of requirements and coursework. Alternate routes also include the National Board certification that I've seen on a number of websites. That certification is acceptable in 15 states, including Mississippi.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:05 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Texas here. I am a retired software engineer. I got certified to teach Math 4-8 in an Alt Cert program.
They required a BS degree and 36 credit hours in the subject which I had.
My BS degree was CS (Engineering, not Business).

I did my certification through a community college.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:12 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pythonidler View Post
Hi all,

I've been following these forums for a while but this is my first post, so let me introduce myself:

I'm a 29-year old former engineer who's looking to make a career change to teaching. I have both a BS and MS in mechanical engineering with about 2 years of industry experience.

I'd like to teach high school math, and I'm open to teaching in almost any state in the US. Only problem is, I've looked at some certification programs that require either a BA in math or 30 or so units of undergraduate -level math work. Unfortunately, I don't have either of those. I would probably have to go back to school for a couple semesters to get those 30 units (not ideal).

My questions is this: for those of you who have certification in your state - did the state require you to have a bachelor's degree in the subject area you got certification for? I realize some programs may have this requirement, but I'm hoping to find a program that doesn't require it if the state doesn't.
Your degrees (BS/MS) may qualify you to teach Computer Science classes at the HS level without needing to take additional classes.

My BS (Computer Science) makes me highly qualified to teach any Computer Science classes in HS.

This is Texas.

Old 02-25-2016, 04:54 AM

20,130 posts, read 16,195,599 times
You might be able to in Virginia. VDOE :: Career Switcher Program
Quote:
An individual seeking a provisional license through the career switcher program must meet the following prerequisite requirements:
  • Complete the application process by making application to one of the career switcher certified program providers listed above;
  • A bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
  • The completion of requirements for an endorsement in a teaching area or the equivalent through verifiable experience or academic study;
  • At least five years of full-time work experience or its equivalent;
  • Virginia qualifying scores on the professional teacher’s assessments prescribed by the Board of Education. See Professional Teacher’s Assessment Requirements (PDF).
There are also links on that site to programs that will help facilitate that for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching