Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this teacher have the right to do this? Professor Smashes Student's Cell Phone.
Yes 37 32.46%
No 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:11 PM

560 posts, read 2,189,191 times

Advertisements

This is college and students are supposed to "know better" by then. Would this same student have answered his cell phone if he was in a board meeting with his boss? His actions were incredibly rude and the professor was absolutely 100% justified in his actions. The professor did not do anything until the dumba** actually answered the phone and had a conversation on it. I think we have all been in a situation where we have forgotten to silence our phones so we quickly reject the call if it is an inappropriate time.... not answer the call and continue to talk.

Everyone else in that class paid his/her tuition to attend that class and this student is infringing on their rights to recieve the education they paid for by creating a distraction with first the ringing phone and then the answering of it and the ensuing conversation. HOW RUDE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2008, 09:17 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,784,250 times
You try going to a military training class and see what the instructor does if a cell phone goes off. Not only will it be smashed but he will tell you to get down on all 4s and scoop the pieces up! I say the professor was right!

Old 02-16-2008, 09:20 AM

Some people just think they have a God given right to be RUDE to others. I would not only have smashed the phone but I would have kicked his ass out of my class and told him not to come back! It is really annoying when asholes use their phones anywhere they want. You go out to eat a nice dinner at Ruth Chris Steakhouse with your wife for Valentino Day and some dickweed is sitting next to you on a damn phone the whole time you are there.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,797,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

Could be that the call was an emergency to the student.
How did the world function, just a few years ago, when students did not have cell phones, for incoming emergencies?

Old 02-16-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How did the world function, just a few years ago, when students did not have cell phones, for incoming emergencies?
Not only that but text messages can work just as well if it an emergency. You text something like "your sister has been in a car wreck, please call home" and he will read it, quietly gather his things and walk out into the hallway to call you back.

Old 02-16-2008, 11:49 PM

135 posts, read 526,144 times
He could have simply told the student to leave class for the day or to step outside, that is within his right. I have seen it happen several times when I was still in school. Obviously, the student has more pressing concerns, they should have stepped out or left for the day. I attended Howard University in DC, and trust me it would have never happened like that, a professor smashing a student's phone?! Lmao, never!

Old 02-17-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charleston Class View Post
He could have simply told the student to leave class for the day or to step outside, that is within his right. I have seen it happen several times when I was still in school. Obviously, the student has more pressing concerns, they should have stepped out or left for the day. I attended Howard University in DC, and trust me it would have never happened like that, a professor smashing a student's phone?! Lmao, never!
At Howard they wpould probably just smash your face and then use the phone to call 9-1-1!!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:17 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,208,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Video, student's cell phone rings in middle of class so he answers it. professor then takes away the phone and slams it on the floor.

LiveLeak.com - Professor Smashes Student's Cell Phone

Totally unprofessional on both sides. If phone call was important or emergency, the call should have been answered outside in the hallway. The professor should not have smashed the phone. An educated, rational person would first make the cell phone policy very clear and would enforce the policy by reminding to students to either turn off cell phone or put on vibrate. If a problem persisted, a simple going over to the desk and signaling to step outside into the hallway would have been appropriate. Personally, that type of aggression would cause me to think twice about the teacher's mental stability. I would be uncomfortable the rest of the semester wondering what the next thing will be that would set off the professor's anger.

Last edited by Donna7; 02-18-2008 at 07:36 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 07:36 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,208,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
What confuses me is that everybody is saying how "angry" this professor got. Personally, I didn't see a whole heck of a lot of anger in him. What I saw was a teacher who probably already had rules in place for cell phone usage and the student defied those rules. I suspect that the teacher had already warned the students that if they were caught using a cell phone in the middle of a lecture they would have their cell phones confiscated and possibly even thrown out, thrown on the floor or whatever...

From the LACK of reaction from the other students, I highly doubt that this teacher taking the students cell phone away and throwing it to the floor came as a surprise. It appears to me that it was expected. When you think about it, why in the world was someone else taping that exact student at that exact time? Possibly this was all for show?

The professor, in my opinion, is one of the scariest type of aggressors; one who can be violent and aggressive one minute and then compose oneself and return to "normal" almost immediately. A true psycho in my opinion, someone I would be very leary in having as a professor. I wonder how he treats his wife and kids. I wonder if they walk on eggshells all the time wondering when he's going to blow his stack next. These types are scary.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:34 PM

135 posts, read 526,144 times
Default At HU..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
At Howard they wpould probably just smash your face and then use the phone to call 9-1-1!!
LOL, true man. Class is over for the day if someone's phone is smashed,lol. On a serious note, I thought the student was disrespectful to the professor by talking on his phone during lecture. Though this may sound cliche, it does disrupt other people's learning because it's distracting to hear someone murmur on their cell phone while trying to take notes and process what's being said.

Last edited by Charleston Class; 02-21-2008 at 12:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching