Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this teacher have the right to do this? Professor Smashes Student's Cell Phone.
Yes 37 32.46%
No 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:19 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

Video, student's cell phone rings in middle of class so he answers it. professor then takes away the phone and slams it on the floor.

LiveLeak.com - Professor Smashes Student's Cell Phone
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2008, 02:30 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,917 times
I guess he didn't see the other student two or three rows up recording the video. I'm assuming this is a college lecture.

I'd say he didn't have the right. What the student wasn't right either though, or at least he could've left the room.

I think people too often think they have a ability to talk to wherever they want but there's still something to be said for courtesy and minding your place, depending on where one is at the time when the phone rings. Think about the last time you were at a presentation and someone's phone went off...it's rude. People need to keep that mind.

Still the professor didn't handle it in the best of ways.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:34 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,506,208 times
I voted no.

But WAY TO GO PROF!

That student is an absolute retard, and if I was sitting near him, i would've told him to get off the damn phone if not taken it from him.

The professor is lecturing. I don't care if its your father. You do NOT answer your phone in class. If you think its important, you get up (quietly), and you leave the room and call them back.

Oh, and freaking put your phone on silent or vibrate before you enter class. I do so every single time.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:34 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,937,047 times
He sure does considering it disrupted his class. Now, he only has to WRITE A CHECK to replace it ASAP if not sooner. Could be that the call was an emergency to the student. If not an Emergency then an APOLIGY is due the teacher and fellow students. The profesor may have been PO but does not give him the right to destroy another persons property. Stefhen

Old 02-09-2008, 02:36 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,506,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
He sure does considering it disrupted his class. Now, he only has to WRITE A CHECK to replace it ASAP if not sooner. Could be that the call was an emergency to the student. If not an Emergency then an APOLIGY is due the teacher and fellow students. The profesor may have been PO but does not give him the right to destroy another persons property. Stefhen
If it was an emergency, the student would have been leaving the room already.

Professor did nothing when it rang.
Did nothing when the student answered it
when the student continued to talk, the professor dealt with it.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:04 PM

1,655 posts, read 3,399,202 times
Oh pleez...what gives the Professor any right to destroy someone's property. I would have kicked him in the head had he grabbed my phone and smashed it. Obviously, the student didn't have respect for the class, but still, that seems a bit excessive on the professor's part.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:19 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,062,865 times
I think the OP worded the question in a difficult way.

I voted 'yes' but I don't think the prof had the RIGHT to destroy the phone, but I think he was right to do something drastic to the ignoramus talking in the middle of a lecture.

The phone-answering fool deserved a major shock and/or punishment.

Rather than smashing the phone, I would start the lecture by bringing in a large jug of water, then warn the students that any phones which are not IMMEDIATELY silenced will be given a long cold bath.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:27 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,986,315 times
What if it were the person's boss, and they were at work? Would the boss have the right to smash a cellphone?

Of course, because an employee is considered a person who has rights. Why would a student not be considered the same? The professor should have asked the student to leave the room, and reprimanded him later. Just like a boss would do later.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:36 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,127,849 times
Another out of context question with no simple answer. Perhaps this student has repeatedly done this and been asked to refrain from bringing in his cell phone? Perhaps there is a strict rule about the use of a cell phone in classrooms? Perhaps any number of scenarios?

If I had been the teacher, I might have taken the phone away--probably wouldn't be angry enough to break it.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:45 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Did the professor have the right to break the cell phone? No.

Is this something I'd like to do on a daily basis in my own classroom? Ohhhhhh, yeah .....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching