Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this teacher have the right to do this? Professor Smashes Student's Cell Phone.
Yes 37 32.46%
No 77 67.54%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 10:08 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoveDiva View Post
I don't think he should have destroyed the phone...but the student was DEAD WRONG.

I'm a middle school teacher and I tell my students to keep their phones on vibrate and out of sight. There's always one knucklehead who thinks I'm playing--I end up taking his/her phone battery and returning it at the end of the day.

I know a middle school teacher who has a bucket beside the door. When her students come through the door 1st thing in the morning, they shut their cells off and place them in the bucket (unless there is a note from a parent stating that something particular is going on that day and the student must have the phone - she's reasonable anyway). The room is locked when she isn't present in the room, and the phones in the bucket are also placed in a locked drawer if she steps out, so theft has not been an issue. The students check their messages at the end of the day when they leave. Meanwhile, the parents are given the office number to call should an emergency situation arise during the day.

I don't think that cell phone situations need to be this complicated. There are rules in life and teachers should be able to implement reasonable rules in their classroom - to include not using a cell phone. People who break employer rules (for example, stealing, or drinking on the job) get fired. What a missed "real-life" educational opportunity.

That said, I think I mourn the loss of common courtesy the most.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:31 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
IMHO, the sole purpose of a student, be it in public, private, or secondary school is to learn - not to yack, not to do anything that is disruptive to others or to the teacher/professor [granted, this coming from a guy that in middle school was accused of "making barn yard animal sounds" during class I was framed I tell ya, framed!!! ]. Anyhow, can also recall a college prof that if he caught anyone chewing gum they'd receive extra assignment. To me, specifically to the subject matter of this thread, cell phones are way too prevalent in schools. They can perform great emergency benefits - but honestly, how often does such happen, compared to the vast numbers of phones out there? - but way too often they are nothing more than a social device, and as soon as a student comes on to the property for learning, these devices should be muted, and not used unless a true emergency arises.

Old 09-08-2009, 02:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I see absolutely no reason for a student to have a phone in school. None, whatsoever.

Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,169,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I see absolutely no reason for a student to have a phone in school. None, whatsoever.
Yep. I have to agree with that. Unfortunately, IMHO, cell phone addiction is becoming worse than crack addiction.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:54 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Well they do, so you need to join 2009..... Just maybe one of them will call 911 if the teach has a heart attack..

Old 09-09-2009, 02:20 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Yep. I have to agree with that. Unfortunately, IMHO, cell phone addiction is becoming worse than crack addiction.

I got my kids the Kajeet cell phone, we can control when its active, when it can make and receive calls, whom they can call and who can call them. Its set so no calls can occur during class time. But I do want them to have one active going to and from school, also, for after school activities, for security purposes. My daughter, however, is obsessed with the thing, she's constantly texting, the school rules are that any phone that's displayed during school will be confiscated, it can be redeemed for $15. Well, she had to be the big shot, displayed it during lunch, could not have been using it because its not active during school hours. But she knew the rules NOT to even display it. It was confiscated. so now I have to pay $15 to get it back. I think not. I will just be paying $15 every time I turn around. The school has it, it can stay there. Also,I turned off the service, why pay for service when you don't have a phone?

Despite all the safeguards we put in place, she still managed to violate the rules, so, she loses the cell phone. For emergencies, they can always borrow someone else's and call me, or, they're always under someone's supervision, a teacher, etc, they can call me. Other than a true emergency, they don't need to be yakking on that thing, anyways.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Well they do, so you need to join 2009..... Just maybe one of them will call 911 if the teach has a heart attack..
Hi, I work in a school. In 2009, even.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Another out of context question with no simple answer. Perhaps this student has repeatedly done this and been asked to refrain from bringing in his cell phone? Perhaps there is a strict rule about the use of a cell phone in classrooms? Perhaps any number of scenarios?

If I had been the teacher, I might have taken the phone away--probably wouldn't be angry enough to break it.
Ban the student from the class.

Someday this scrawny tyrant will try this little stunt with a student who will kick his a$$ right then and there.

Old 09-09-2009, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Ban the student from the class.

Someday this scrawny tyrant will try this little stunt with a student who will kick his a$$ right then and there.
If a student thinks having a phone confiscated for inappropriate usage is a huge indignity, imagine the "indignity" of being prosecuted for assault.

Old 09-10-2009, 01:41 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
The professor sounds like a psycho. People put way too much adoration onto professors. It is sick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching