Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 09:05 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,498,616 times

Advertisements

Are there any currently employed LAUSD teachers here? We are looking for any information on the application process timeline and the availability of elementary school positions for the 2016-2017 school year.

We have found the CA certification site and the LAUSD site but would greatly appreciate an insider's viewpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 07:39 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,516,697 times
LAUSD apparently hires straight from CSUDH, everyone suggested I transfer there because of this arrangement. I have no interest in working for LAUSD, so I transferred instead to CSULB. Can you enroll for your master's at DH and maybe network that way?

Old 05-24-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
LAUSD apparently hires straight from CSUDH, everyone suggested I transfer there because of this arrangement. I have no interest in working for LAUSD, so I transferred instead to CSULB. Can you enroll for your master's at DH and maybe network that way?
Thanks for the response!

I have my Master's and an additional 30 credits, and 16 years of experience in the NYC system. I am actually trying to get into a private school, but thought getting CA certification and having LAUSD as a backup would be a good idea.

Someone suggested looking at surrounding public school districts, also. Just have no idea how open any of them would be to hiring a transplant with experience (higher salary point).

Old 05-25-2016, 01:38 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,101,856 times
Edjoin.org is where most of the California districts list their openings. Why in the world would you want to work for LAUSD? That place is a complete mess.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Edjoin.org is where most of the California districts list their openings. Why in the world would you want to work for LAUSD? That place is a complete mess.
Not my primary goal. Prefer a private school job but want a back up plan. Primary goal is to move to LA.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
Not my primary goal. Prefer a private school job but want a back up plan. Primary goal is to move to LA.
LAUSD should NEVER be a back up plan. The schools are very tough, and the kids need a committed teacher who doesn't see them as back up. If you aren't committed to LAUSD, don't even entertain the idea.

About previous year credit for hiring, last I knew most districts would only give credit for around 5-7 years. Seriously, if you want to know who's hiring, check out edjoin. Most of the districts use it, and some private schools use it, as well.

Old 06-02-2016, 02:57 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,093,568 times
Quote:
So you wouldn't teach in an award-winning public school district?

Old 06-02-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
LAUSD should NEVER be a back up plan. The schools are very tough, and the kids need a committed teacher who doesn't see them as back up. If you aren't committed to LAUSD, don't even entertain the idea.

About previous year credit for hiring, last I knew most districts would only give credit for around 5-7 years. Seriously, if you want to know who's hiring, check out edjoin. Most of the districts use it, and some private schools use it, as well.
I have 16 years teaching experience in some of the lowest income districts in NYC. You don't make it that far without commitment. I assure you there is little difference between what I deal with on a daily basis and anything LAUSD can conjure up.

Teaching is a job. Yes, if I have the opportunity I would like to experience the private school world. If that is not happening, I am perfectly qualified, willing and capable to do my job in a competent manner as part of LAUSD. I am actually quite good at what I do.

Wherever I am able to get employment my students will receive the best I have to offer.

Thanks for the edjoin tip. I checked it out and it is helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
So you wouldn't teach in an award-winning public school district?
Don't know, never tried it!!!

Old 06-02-2016, 08:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,285,299 times
Quote:

I am actually quite good at what I do.

So were a lot of teachers who were chewed up and spit out by LAUSD.

Buy a helmet.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So were a lot of teachers who were chewed up and spit out by LAUSD.

Buy a helmet.
Yep. OP, if you're so sure that it can't be that bad, make sure to let them know you want to work in the toughest school they have. Just because it isn't NYC doesn't mean it's any easier. Honestly, from the attitude I'm getting from you, you would not be a fit. The kids would be able to tell that you really want a "cushy" private school job. If you just want a job teaching here but want an "easier" job than what you're used to, apply to other districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching