Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 06:13 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,072,790 times

Advertisements

Yes, apply to some of the districts on the periphery of LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 09:27 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,095,633 times
I checked edjoin last night, and the only teaching jobs listed in LAUSD were two science jobs and a few bilingual positions.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:25 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,503,092 times
I worked in LAUSD for 17 years. I left 10 years ago, but not because I was chewed up and spit out, quite the opposite. I wanted to stay. I loved it.

But DH was offered a job in NC and we opted to move. We also had a son with some special needs who really needed me home for a while.

If you have any specific questions, PM me.

I can tell you that LAUSD is huge and it isn't as easy as sending in a resume and you wait to hear from them. There is a lot of persistence and follow through that needs to happen on your end.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:15 AM

By the way, LAUSD is one of the few area districts that doesn't use Edjoin for teaching jobs. You can find the vacancy list link here. Certificated Assignments and Support Services / Teacher Vacancies

Old 08-04-2016, 10:31 AM

3,955 posts, read 5,090,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
I have 16 years teaching experience in some of the lowest income districts in NYC. You don't make it that far without commitment. I assure you there is little difference between what I deal with on a daily basis and anything LAUSD can conjure up.
Except the ugly paycut.
LAUnified cries and cries about educational inequality and retaining teachers but they pay pure garbage for the area.

NYCDOE at least ponies up money if you've lasted a while in the system.

Old 08-09-2016, 12:50 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,494,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
So were a lot of teachers who were chewed up and spit out by LAUSD.

Buy a helmet.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Yep. OP, if you're so sure that it can't be that bad, make sure to let them know you want to work in the toughest school they have. Just because it isn't NYC doesn't mean it's any easier. Honestly, from the attitude I'm getting from you, you would not be a fit. The kids would be able to tell that you really want a "cushy" private school job. If you just want a job teaching here but want an "easier" job than what you're used to, apply to other districts.
Spare me your uninformed opinions please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I worked in LAUSD for 17 years. I left 10 years ago, but not because I was chewed up and spit out, quite the opposite. I wanted to stay. I loved it.

But DH was offered a job in NC and we opted to move. We also had a son with some special needs who really needed me home for a while.

If you have any specific questions, PM me.

I can tell you that LAUSD is huge and it isn't as easy as sending in a resume and you wait to hear from them. There is a lot of persistence and follow through that needs to happen on your end.
I'm beginning to see that. Thank you for the offer, I might just take you up on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
By the way, LAUSD is one of the few area districts that doesn't use Edjoin for teaching jobs. You can find the vacancy list link here. Certificated Assignments and Support Services / Teacher Vacancies
Thanks, I found that out, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Except the ugly paycut.
LAUnified cries and cries about educational inequality and retaining teachers but they pay pure garbage for the area.

NYCDOE at least ponies up money if you've lasted a while in the system.
Money isn't everything. As a teacher you learn that pretty quickly.

Old 08-21-2016, 04:59 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,312,986 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip!

I'm beginning to see that. Thank you for the offer, I might just take you up on it!

I taught in a bad school in NYC and what LAUSD would consider awful, a school in S. Central. For the uninformed, as bad as the S. Central school was, it just was not on par with the madness and out of control-ness of an NYC public school. LAUSD ain't the greatest, but the not worst either. Great benefit package compared to other LA county districts, plenty of parking as compared to NYC schools, and you have the opportunity to work in many areas which can help your commute times. also, LAUSD will take up to 10 years of previous experience. Most LA county districts will max you out at about 6 or 7.

As mentioned, they don't mess with edjoin much. They rather u go right to the district website.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:22 PM

762 posts, read 612,540 times
I was one. I think I am "blacklisted" for any job with LAUSD. It was the only job in my life I ever resigned from. Had problems with the principal. I applied, took writing "tests" that they gave me at HR, and had 2 interviews passing everything. When I had the audit where the lady checked off everything (and I had everything checked off) I was later emailed that I wasn't found eligible for the job despite being qualified. I asked why I wasn't found eligible and I was told LAUSD will not say why. I'm convinced my old boss somehow has me on a do not hire list.

I'm not a teacher anymore but still work in education. I now live and work in San Diego but I'd like to return to LA once I could get a full time job again, but know LAUSD won't take me. It's especially frustrating that my job is ALWAYS on the job opportunities list and regularly listed on Edjoin (hell they even placed their ad on Edjoin right after I was told I wasn't found eligible!). Jobs in my profession in education are scarce unfortunately in smaller districts (Simi Valley, Burbank, Glendale, Ventura, Moorpark, Las Virgines, Conejo Valley, etc).

Old 08-21-2016, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the tip!

Enjoy. You obviously have a great attitude.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:59 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,494,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
I taught in a bad school in NYC and what LAUSD would consider awful, a school in S. Central. For the uninformed, as bad as the S. Central school was, it just was not on par with the madness and out of control-ness of an NYC public school. LAUSD ain't the greatest, but the not worst either. Great benefit package compared to other LA county districts, plenty of parking as compared to NYC schools, and you have the opportunity to work in many areas which can help your commute times. also, LAUSD will take up to 10 years of previous experience. Most LA county districts will max you out at about 6 or 7.

As mentioned, they don't mess with edjoin much. They rather u go right to the district website.
Thanks, very helpful.

Actually visited LAUSD headquarters and met with a consultant. She was pretty informative and clearly laid out the process. Did discourage directly contacting principals but that's because they want total control over placement. Also was able to meet with a couple of current LAUSD teachers and they said feel free to speak to principals directly, most will answer honestly whether they think they can use you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching