Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 08:33 AM

123 posts, read 233,411 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a certified teacher in CT. Last year, I did two long-term sub positions in Spanish (my area of cert.) from November-March and then all of May for the 2nd coverage. I was looking for a permanent job for this fall but the summer is almost over, and there have been very few opportunities. So, looking to sub again of course.

Question: if I start a long-term gig in Spanish again (I have seen several advertised and applied)...well what if the permanent teacher decides, for whatever reason, not to come back? For instance, if it's a new Mom and she decides to stay home? Can I demand a retroactive year-long contract? They can't expect me to work full time for a year with no benefits and such a low salary, can they, if I am doing everything a permanent teacher does? What are my options if this ever happens?

Thanks for any insight,

Heather
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 10:27 AM

3,951 posts, read 5,077,888 times
Are you fully certified?
After 11 days the school is required to put in place a fully certified teacher and not a 'sub'.

Even as a leave replacement gig then you should be earning regular salary. Though I'm unsure if they have any benefit responsibilities.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:32 AM

123 posts, read 233,411 times
Yes i do have my license, in Spanish. I earned $100/day, no benefits last year over the approx 90 day leave I covered last year.

Old 08-04-2016, 11:38 AM

45,403 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I think this would be more of a Connecticut question than a general teaching one. Each state, maybe even down to the district level, is going to be different and have different requirements.

For example, in Maryland all you have to have is a high school diploma to sub, even long term.

I was a long term sub many years ago for a teacher who died. When I inquired about the permanent slot the Principal's response was very simple, "The football team went 1 and 9 this year".

Old 08-04-2016, 11:50 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
In some districts "Yes" and others "No". Check the contract.

Old 08-04-2016, 12:20 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
I would begin by not "demanding" anything. You should politely inquire if a contract is possible and even imply that you will be looking for a position that best meets you needs otherwise.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:55 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
As others have stated, it depends on the district. Even in my area, some districts will continue you as a per diem at a higher rate of pay after a few days and others will offer an annual salary, but not necessarily the same as a tenure tract teacher.

Hopefully, CT is more fair than my area. Don't be surprised that someone else will come in as a permanent replacement. Many years ago, when I was a sub, a teacher in the school where I subbed was in a bad car accident. I took over for him, rehearsing the 150 students in the band and getting them ready for their concert. About one month into the job, just before I was eligible for a higher per diem pay (paid more if you were in the same classroom after a certain number of days), the injured teacher had his friend, who was not in the district sub pool, take over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching