Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 05:27 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,690 times

Advertisements

What about working for the Department of Education for your state?

My experience has been that many former teachers don't find it difficult to find jobs in a new career--teachers are highly employable for many jobs unrelated to teaching. In your cover letter or letter of introduction, make sure to indicate that you are making a career change, and point out several ways in which the skills and experiences you have gained from teaching translate or connect to the new job.

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 08:45 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,690,487 times
I understand completely. I am in my first year and I think it will be my last. Teaching is not what I expected. I don't enjoy planning, I am terrible at teaching reading and writing, and I hate dealing with administration. Fortunately, I have a bachelor's in something completely different from education (Forestry). I think I will go back to that. I wouldn't know what to if I didn't have a background in something other than education. However, with your skills you should be able to find something else. Good luck!

Old 02-26-2008, 09:57 AM

151 posts, read 703,349 times
I know I understand. I resigned in November and am not looking back. There are great tips, and advice on this thread, so thanks Wild for starting it. Unfortunately, I left because of many administrative decisions that I could not in good concious contribute to or implement. I'm job hunting though, and I hope before long I'll be happily employed, hopefully as Dyslexia Therapist, or something in between.

Old 03-01-2008, 04:10 AM

450 posts, read 2,322,128 times
Well, it seems to me that former teachers could be anything.

In general you could work at a library, become a tutor, or go into almost any office job/administrative type work. I know someone who retired from teaching K and 1st grade and went on to be the director of a church preschool for 3 and 4 year olds, it was laid back and refreshing and very enjoyable, teaching the kids in a fun way with NO required curriculum or stodgy rules.

Or you could enter the job market into any field where entry level just requires or prefers a 4 year degree. Get an administrative job at a telecommunications (phone or cable) company..work in a lawyer's office as a admin assistant (you can possibly train on the job to handle routine things such as real estate closings)..work in a hospital in the billing department...work in the admin offices for the school system, admissions office at a college, desk job at a utility company...look around you and apply with any place you think you'd like to work, that will train you and appreciate your degree and background.

If you're good at sales, look into that..

Old 03-09-2008, 10:00 AM

117 posts, read 445,079 times
Is there anyone out with a success story that maybe they could share to encourage the rest of us?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:06 PM

198 posts, read 802,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinginasuit View Post
Is there anyone out with a success story that maybe they could share to encourage the rest of us?
I taught for 11 years and then went into real estate. I doubled my salary the first year...but felt like I needed to make a difference. So, this year I am back to teaching...but in a different area (I was general elementary, now I am doing special education) and LOVING IT! After the real estate experience, I know I can do something else. However, maybe I just needed a new challenge.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:02 PM

117 posts, read 445,079 times
Congrats, but I was looking for a success story about getting out of teaching permanently.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:14 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willdufauve View Post
B.A, M.A, M.Ed., certifications in three states...after the end of this school year, no more.

What are high school teachers qualified to do for a living when they leave teaching?
All kinds of things. Technical training is one thing I can think of right off the bat. Large corporations are always looking for people with pedagogical skills who can teach procedures, software, etc. etc. etc.

Old 04-08-2008, 12:32 AM

4 posts, read 84,131 times
I'm bumping another stale thread b/c it really helped me tonight! If anyone else has anything to add here, I'm a new and probably soon a former teacher.... Luckily I have a strong business background but I'm still probably going to have to relocate.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:53 AM

34 posts, read 253,192 times
Default Unless you are a Math or Science Teacher.. there are slim pickings for professional jobs after teaching

Lets say someone was an Elementary School Teacher for 20 years and decide at age 45 they want to do something else. They will be hard pressed to get into a new professional job. The key to any professional job is the ability to show an employer that you know something about the field of work that the average next guy does not. Ex teachers are not really skilled in any of the traditional fields of work. They do not know Accounting, Human Resources, Finance, Engineering, High Mathematics, Computers, IT, Software Development, etc. Most professional jobs require advanced specific training and certifications and the average teacher does not have this. Anyone disagree?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching