Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 10:32 AM

525 posts, read 406,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There is no longer Elementary certification in Georgia. They have Early Childhood (P-5) and Middle Grades (4-8).

Okay, please tell me about your student teaching: what did you have to do prior to it, how long was it, what kind of testing did you have to take before and after it, who did the supervising, who evaluated you......

Wow really. My student teaching was for 2 semesters and I had take the Early Childhood 40 hours and a subject area test in early childhood. I am VPK endorsed. I also have credentials to run my own facility in Florida.

I was supervised by an older pre k teacher.

The fact that you all try to undermine my intelligence is beyond me. I am not even going to bother about posting educational topics in this form ever again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollegeCurious View Post
It is not academic learning. It is learning through play. Although GELDs may look complicated that really aren't. All they are is just normal child development skills given a few names.

How is counting and holding a pencil to write alphabets complicate for 4 and 5 year olds?

For instance, a good counting skill can be done with legos or bear counters. I've taught many of my students how to create an AB pattern using legos. I've also taught early addition and subtraction with legos.

Name practicing in PreK is creating a name card with child's picture and name. Place the card in the writing center and have the children to write name and draw a picture of themselves in journal.

Today during centers I documenting a child using fine motor and math concepts because he pieced together a puzzle by himself at 4.

All of this is play learning!

Academics is far more different than this.

Everything is surrounded by hands on and play.
Instead of approaching this by trying to teach everything (direct instruction is generally inappropriate at this age). For example showing them how to make patterns does not actually help them figure out how to do it on their own.

Try:
https://www.naeyc.org/dap/10-effecti...ing-strategies

Old 12-03-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Instead of approaching this by trying to teach everything (direct instruction is generally inappropriate at this age). For example showing them how to make patterns does not actually help them figure out how to do it on their own.

Try:
https://www.naeyc.org/dap/10-effecti...ing-strategies
They need to first be presented to the skill in order to have an idea. As a Prek teacher, we use these hands on activities first in teacher instruction and then again in independent groups. In non instructed centers is when they explore

Old 12-03-2016, 12:04 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Wow really. My student teaching was for 2 semesters and I had take the Early Childhood 40 hours and a subject area test in early childhood. I am VPK endorsed. I also have credentials to run my own facility in Florida.

I was supervised by an older pre k teacher.

The fact that you all try to undermine my intelligence is beyond me. I am not even going to bother about posting educational topics in this form ever again
You don't know enough to know what you don't know. That is not the way it works. On top of that, there is no way in 5-6 years that you have gotten Bachelors in Sociology and Anthropology, with a minor in African American Studies, along with two associate degrees, plus 40 hours of early childhood education and student teaching (2 semesters of it, nonetheless). You know anyone on this forum can pull up your past posts, don't you? I'm not even going to go there.

I am not trying to undermine your intellegence, I am just not sure why you keep insisting you are something you are not. There is nothing wrong with having some type of ECE certificate (not certification) and being in the process of getting certification. That not is not an indication you are unintelligent. You also have as much right to discuss your ideas as anyone else. The reason I have a problem with you claiming to be certified when you are not is because you have tossed up misinformation as fact and your written communication skills, which don't have to be perfect, are a bit alarming. I realize you are doing this in part to lend credibility to your viewpoints but because it is so transparent it does just the opposite.

Old 12-03-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
You don't know enough to know what you don't know. That is not the way it works. On top of that, there is no way in 5-6 years that you have gotten Bachelors in Sociology and Anthropology, with a minor in African American Studies, along with two associate degrees, plus 40 hours of early childhood education and student teaching (2 semesters of it, nonetheless). You know anyone on this forum can pull up your past posts, don't you? I'm not even going to go there.

I am not trying to undermine your intellegence, I am just not sure why you keep insisting you are something you are not. There is nothing wrong with having some type of ECE certificate (not certification) and being in the process of getting certification. That not is not an indication you are unintelligent. You also have as much right to discuss your ideas as anyone else. The reason I have a problem with you claiming to be certified when you are not is because you have tossed up misinformation as fact and your written communication skills, which don't have to be perfect, are a bit alarming. I realize you are doing this in part to lend credibility to your viewpoints but because it is so transparent it does just the opposite.
Omg! I started a 2 year college at 16!
I graduated with a BA in Sociology last year! I worked in ECE since college. No need to lie to ppl I do not know.

Pull it up! I never discussed my other degrees and certifications. Wow! I'm never posting on here again

Old 12-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Omg! I started a 2 year college at 16!
I graduated with a BA in Sociology last year! I worked in ECE since college. No need to lie to ppl I do not know.

Pull it up! I never discussed my other degrees and certifications. Wow! I'm never posting on here again
Oh, fine. These are from April of this year.

Quote:
I graduated with a BA degree in Sociology 5 months ago. I have been on a total of 6 job interviews into the career I wanted after college, but no offers. I always wanted to work as a Children and Families Social worker. I thought that once I get out of college, I can walk right into that field, but it is so hard to find a job as a social worker just coming out of college. I had an internship in college at a state agency, but did so bad during the interview that they did not hire me.

While in college, I worked as a preschool teacher and still do. Because of my long years of teaching in early childhood those are the jobs that only give me a for sure offer. I have a job interview with this company that I originally applied for as an Family Advocate, however they gave me call asking to interview me as an infant/toddler teacher. At first, I was hesitant to take the interview, but I desperately need a job. The pay is good there and the company also offers great work hours along with spring break and summer months off. I also heard that the company gives tons of promotions so I am hoping I can move my way up from a teacher to a Family advocate.

I am now studying for a Master of Social Work and feeling somewhat on the edge about it because the offers I keep getting as a teacher. Teaching, nursing, and criminal justice careers are what's moving in the economy where I am at.

Should I switch degrees or stay in social work? also taking a teacher job even though it is not in my field a smart thing to do??
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I'd take the teaching job and see if I could later work it into another position. You may like the job and go on a different career path. Have you critically examined why you did so poorly in your internship?
I did not do to the best of my ability because I had a total of 6 classes. I was trying to finish up college. The class load and then Internship while working full time as a teacher was a bit much.
Quote:
Hey you all thanks for the advice. I am thinking about switching to a career in elementary education being that I can not find any work as a social worker. I may even just get certification in teaching and work as a kindergarten teacher until a position open up in social services.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Oh, fine. These are from April of this year.

Those discussed how hard it was to find a job in the social service field. I graduated in December 2015. I was still searching then. I couldn't find a job in social services so I decided to stick with ECE. So...

Old 12-03-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Those discussed how hard it was to find a job in the social service field. I graduated in December 2015. I was still searching then. I couldn't find a job in social services so I decided to stick with ECE. So...
I gathered that. It is also clear that you were not certified at that time, did an internship in some type of social work, didn't really want to go back to the preschool teacher route but decided to switch gears when you couldn't find a job in your chosen field. You also mentioned in a later post that you wished you had listened to your parents and gone the elementary education route. There is nothing wrong with any of that. Nothing. The problem is that you have decided you have miraculously become a certified teacher so you can tell certified teachers they are wrong.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
I gathered that. It is also clear that you were not certified at that time, did an internship in some type of social work, didn't really want to go back to the preschool teacher route but decided to switch gears when you couldn't find a job in your chosen field. You also mentioned in a later post that you wished you had listened to your parents and gone the elementary education route. There is nothing wrong with any of that. Nothing. The problem is that you have decided you have miraculously become a certified teacher so you can tell certified teachers they are wrong.

I wished I would had listenend to my parents about going to undergrad as an education major. Because of my parents I am certified to teach Prek in the state of Florida. I earned these certifications at 20 years old maybe 19? My student teaching took place then

When I wrote those posts I was speaking of elementary education not early childhood. I am still seeking elementary ed certification.

I interned for a good bit as a caseworker and also worked as one temporarily. When I wrote thos, I was searching for a steady social steady career.

Old 12-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I wished I would had listenend to my parents about going to undergrad as an education major. Because of my parents I am certified to teach Prek in the state of Florida. I earned these certifications at 20 years old maybe 19? My student teaching took place then

When I wrote those posts I was speaking of elementary education not early childhood. I am still seeking elementary ed certification.

I interned for a good bit as a caseworker and also worked as one temporarily. When I wrote thos, I was searching for a steady social steady career.
I understand all of that. You simply can not become a certified teacher at 19/20 years old just because you wouldn't have had time to do it. It really is that simple, state certification laws are too onerous for it. Any student teaching you did to get an ECE certificate (which is not the same as certification) would not be exchangeable for the student teaching done through a certification program. The certificates you earned by working for your parents do not make you a certified teacher. If you were actually a certified preK or Early Childhood teacher you would not be enrolled in a teacher certification program, you would be seeking an endorsement.

Look, I wish you luck. If this is what you want I hope it works out, but I am telling you as one of the people whose job includes deciding whether or not student teachers pass, you need to learn how to say "Oops, I was wrong."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching