Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 05:35 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,236,654 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I assigned back-row seats to students who could see well enough to see the board, hear well enough not to miss anything, were attentive, and participated willingly in class. When those in the back participate, those in the middle and front are part of the group. If the most willing participants are in the front (as they might be if they chose the seats themselves), then those behind them are less likely to remain part of the group. They will be less attentive and participate less.

Yes, sometimes students who need closer watching end up in front - though the "closer watching" may or may not be due to attention or discipline. A student who sought his classmate's attention might end up in the back.
Back when I was a baby teacher 30-some-odd years ago I was taught a technique to assign seats the first day as the students come in. The following year, and for every year since, I assign the back seats to the students who get there first and fill in from back to front. When new students come in, they are automatically assigned to the front.

I love the look on the kids faces the second week of school when the late-comers arrive for the first time and learn that the only empty seats are right in front of me. It makes it easier to deal with transfer students when they are up front with me. I've had three new students since right before Thanksgiving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 05:39 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by education explorer View Post
Had a French teacher who would arrange the poorer performing students to sit up closer to him in the classroom while the better performing students sat farther away from him.
EdX

I think it would depend on why and whether the extra attention on them came at the expense of the better students. If it brought everyone up, then good. If it pushed the better students down, then bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I can go you one just as bad or worse. I had a high school chemistry teacher who -- when handing back tests -- would start with the highest grades and read each name with the grade (e.g., Johnny Jones, 98%, Mary Wells, 97%, Bill Jacobs, 95%...etc."). Then when he got to 75%, which at my school was passing, he would pause for approximately a minute, and then read the next grade while staring at the student ("Bill Mathers 74%). Then when he got to the lowest grade, he would again pause for a full minute, stare at the last student, and read the lowest grade ("Millie Price, 48%). I remember him with such fondness, than even today -- a half century later -- I think of him as a worthless, old, fat fart.
I grew up in a era when every teacher did this. It let you know where you stood in the class and who the competition was. Too bad so much education today is about feeling good rather than being good.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:45 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Being closer to the teacher is supposed to help students focus... Of course there is no need to move the students because good teachers are mobile anyway.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:46 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
Being closer to the teacher is supposed to help students focus... Of course there is no need to move the students because good teachers are mobile anyway.
Gross generalization.

There are dozens of things that could prevent teachers from being able to move all over the classroom without saying anything about their quality as a teacher. The classroom itself is the biggest one. My current classroom is the size of a postage stamp, four rows of two seater tables, with barely enough room for the kids to squeeze into the desks, plus emergency seating on the sides of the room. If I tried to move around to the back of the room to stand near every kid, someone would have to get up every time I tried to move between the tables. Not conducive to learning. I have taught classes in lecture halls, not possible to get up and move to each student there either. Neither says anything about the quality of the teacher. One of the teachers I used to teach with had a prosthetic leg. He moved around fine in open spaces, but navigating back backs, sports bags, etc, meant he mostly stayed in the front of the room, he was still a good teacher.

Ultimately there are many ways to be a good teacher, mobile is not necessarily one of them.

Old 12-17-2016, 08:48 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,084,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Gross generalization.

There are dozens of things that could prevent teachers from being able to move all over the classroom without saying anything about their quality as a teacher. The classroom itself is the biggest one. My current classroom is the size of a postage stamp, four rows of two seater tables, with barely enough room for the kids to squeeze into the desks, plus emergency seating on the sides of the room. If I tried to move around to the back of the room to stand near every kid, someone would have to get up every time I tried to move between the tables. Not conducive to learning. I have taught classes in lecture halls, not possible to get up and move to each student there either. Neither says anything about the quality of the teacher. One of the teachers I used to teach with had a prosthetic leg. He moved around fine in open spaces, but navigating back backs, sports bags, etc, meant he mostly stayed in the front of the room, he was still a good teacher.

Ultimately there are many ways to be a good teacher, mobile is not necessarily one of them.
Clearly you just suck at teaching.

(Kidding, obviously)

When commenting on a forum such as this I figure generalizations are alright... I'm not interested in taking the time to address every possible situation. Obviously if there is a reason one can't move around the room you won't be able to. That is common sense, I don't have to post rhat disclaimer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching