Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 05:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

I've worked with a staggering number of educators who pop Xanax like it's a multivitamin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 06:48 PM

23 posts, read 36,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric351982 View Post
I'm sorry you are having a rough year. May I ask if this is a charter school?

My first job was in a charter school and half the teachers quit each year, every year. I got out of the charter school world as quickly as I could.
Not a charter school, thankfully. I heard too many horror stories to go down that road. I'm at a school in an extremely low income area where money just isn't there. I hate to know that my kids are missing out on things like field trips that other kids at different schools get to go on.

Everyone, thank you for your responses. I know I am not alone, in the sense that there are so many other teachers out there in the same situation as I am, which sucks.

For the last few weeks I keep writing notes to myself to keep my head down, do my job, and go home. Some days can be challenging for me when I feel like I'm the only person advocating for my kids.

Ugh, another Sunday night.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodathedog2016 View Post
Does anyone constantly cry because of their school? I find myself crying a few times a week either in the car on the way home, in the shower, or sometimes even during my prep time. Admin doesn't do anything to support new teachers and I am one of them. Half the staff was new this year and I've been told from other teachers that turn over is VERY high in our school. I've had many questions and emails throughout the year that go unanswered, PD turned down, and just an overall lack of support. We have no money. I started a SPED process months ago for a child and it has been continuously put on the back burner because "evals are expensive" per admin. I'm losing my focus and my cool. Thankfully, my kids are phenomenal. They are the only reason I'm still getting up in the morning to go there. I will not be returning next year, but I don't know how much of this I can handle. It's to the point where it is greatly affecting my job performance and that makes me even more sad and anxious. Any advice from veteran teachers or anyone who has worked in a similar situation would be appreciated.
I had one teaching job so bad that not only was I hiding in my office or the bathroom crying all the time, but I ended up having to take anti-anxiety medicine and go to therapy just to be able to go in every day. Thank god, I've been perfectly normal since I left there. Just hang on.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I've worked with a staggering number of educators who pop Xanax like it's a multivitamin.
Better living through chemistry!

Sad but true. I've been on anti anxiety meds pretty consistently since I became a teacher. This job is not good for your health.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:16 PM

3,167 posts, read 4,002,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
OMG, that's way too true of my former school, too. And I believe we live in the same area....this place has issues, clearly.

Old 03-19-2017, 10:31 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
A friend of a friend who is a psychiatrist told me that he has seen a dramatic increase in teachers coming to him for prescriptions over the past 5 years. He told me that 85 percent of his patients in his practice (4 psychiatrists) are teachers.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:08 AM

4,863 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodathedog2016 View Post
Not a charter school, thankfully. I heard too many horror stories to go down that road. I'm at a school in an extremely low income area where money just isn't there. I hate to know that my kids are missing out on things like field trips that other kids at different schools get to go on.

Everyone, thank you for your responses. I know I am not alone, in the sense that there are so many other teachers out there in the same situation as I am, which sucks.

For the last few weeks I keep writing notes to myself to keep my head down, do my job, and go home. Some days can be challenging for me when I feel like I'm the only person advocating for my kids.

Ugh, another Sunday night.

Get through this year without any major strikes on your record and apply for teaching jobs in better parts of the country, even if this means relocating. They're out there and in certain geographic areas, the jobs are fairly plentiful.

My son went through hell much like you're talking about at one time. His first student teaching assignment had him commuting 30 miles to work with a teacher who saw him as her opportunity to do NOTHING. He had to do nearly all of the classroom teaching with 5 preps, grade ALL the papers from every class as well still take a couple classes at the university. There wasn't enough time in his day to work sleep in. He went to his advisor who switched him to a different school and mentor teacher who was simply amazing. She spent time working with him and was invaluable.

His first 2 years of teaching was in a packing house town filled with immigrant kids coming and going. Many wannabe gangstas that he was basically powerless to teach or discipline. The principal was more warden than administrator. (This "warden" was decent and did encourage him in getting through each year). Throw in the leader of the Math dept. at the school doing nothing to help him, but she sure could criticize/backstab and he was seriously wanting to change careers.

It took going back to school and getting his masters while teaching part time at a well run school to get his head on straight again. He took a job at a small school with marginal pay, but a GREAT administration to get him to realize that he really could be a quality teacher. He now has a very good job in a bigger school district. It just took perseverance and a willingness to relocate.

Last edited by jmgg; 03-20-2017 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-12-2018, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 598 times
Default Teacher Rehire to Former Disrrict after they quit

I wanted to know if anyone has heard of a teacher being rehired to a School District after they quit the district because they were placed on a Growth plan and given a low PDAS? FYI: The Principal however renewed the Teacher’s contract but the stupid Teacher quit ��. B

Last edited by jd2004; 01-12-2018 at 12:04 PM.. Reason: Wanted to post

Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
These kinds of experiences are what no one wants to talk about in the current environment of constantly bashing teachers for poor student performance. No one wants to talk about the parents, or about the school administrators who refuse to enforce discipline, or the administration downtown who can't come up with any way to improve school performance other than to add more reams of paperwork to the teacher's load.

Then something like half of all new teachers quit within 5 years.

Then the districts go whining around about how they have a teacher shortage.

I think the teachers' unions have had the wrong end of the stick for decades; while they have focused on increasing pay and opposing any tightening of standards, they have missed that BAD WORKING CONDITIONS are what drives teachers out of the field.

Old 01-12-2018, 02:34 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2004 View Post
I wanted to know if anyone has heard of a teacher being rehired to a School District after they quit the district because they were placed on a Growth plan and given a low PDAS? FYI: The Principal however renewed the Teacher’s contract but the stupid Teacher quit ��. B
No, and I would be absolutely shocked if anyone does know of one. I'm kind of surprised the principal was willing to renew their contract if they had an easy out to get rid of them like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching