Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2017, 02:00 AM

1,891 posts, read 1,685,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Traveling View Post
As a college instructor, I try to make the course materials interesting. I don't want to read out of the textbook. I want to have interesting discussions and case studies and role playing. I want to have a wide range of opinions intermixed with the facts.

This is getting harder and harder as America, especially college students becomes more politically correct. My fellow instructors are reporting that the students get upset with some of the most innocent comments and if the instructor or another student has an opinion or makes a statement that is just a bit controversial someone will get upset. And complain to the administration.

I understand that everyone has to watch what they say but being on needles and pins is just exhausting.

Anyone else agree that the trend towards political correctness is making teaching and classes boring and frustrating?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKcWu0tsiZM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 05:25 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,003,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
In my opinion, NEVER in my lifetime has it been so important for teachers not to discuss politics with their students. A simple "it isn't appropriate for me to discuss my personal political beliefs and I am too professional to cross that line" in a matter of fact tone generally ends the discussion.
I'm not sure it's not professional or appropriate in this context. I work with immigrants. My organization has issued a number of statements in direct opposition to the new regime's policies. I'm not sure I can be effective if students doubt where I stand on whether they are human or skittle and other pressing questions.

Old 06-13-2017, 06:44 AM

65 posts, read 59,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
I agree! It does make it interesting. That's the serious problem with certain classes, is the fact is that student's think all things should be "interesting and fun". Unfortunately it makes us look bad at times if we stick straight to the facts but I say "so what" if they don't think things are interesting. I tell them in the real world things aren't always fun. They sign up for my class to learn. If you have students who aren't on your side politically all kinds of things can happen. When I was in college, a political science professor used to spend half the class discussing his political viewpoints and why so many people at the time in office were screwed up. None of this material was on the exam and I showed up to class everyday at 8:00am on time to hear political rants for the first half of the class. I respect peoples viewpoints but I've learned it can cause division and lack of respect. Me and another student finally reported him to the Dean because half his class was spent ranting on why our government is messed up and the other half was basically material that we had to learn that was blown through very quickly because there wasn't enough time. We found questions on the exam that this professor never covered because he basically brushed through the material so quick. This professor made his exams quite challenging. If a professor is going to go free rain and talk about his/her political beliefs then at least make the exams easy. He changed after we reported him. When students pay for a class (I teach both high school and college) they are here to learn facts, not hear us bash about the left or right party or what I think would be best for the country. I tell my student's they can visit me after class in office hours if they want to know more about my opinions.
My students in management and business communication classes don't just want to be taught boring facts, they want to learn ideas and theories and talk about real life issues.

Old 06-13-2017, 08:18 AM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokitobounto View Post

EXCEPTIONAL and very scary in it's truth.

What has happened to this country over the years.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:06 AM

50,829 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
I'm not sure it's not professional or appropriate in this context. I work with immigrants. My organization has issued a number of statements in direct opposition to the new regime's policies. I'm not sure I can be effective if students doubt where I stand on whether they are human or skittle and other pressing questions.
I understand what you're saying. When I was teaching at Edison High School in northern Virginia, I sponsored an "International Club", which was designed to help ESL students better adjust to American life. One day one of the kids said to me, "Mr. V----, you're the only teacher who likes us who doesn't have to."

The question is how much teachers should express about their own viewpoints and opinions. Here's an example of a difference. On rare occasions I would have a student come up and ask me (I was the principal), "Is it true you're a Buddhist?" I think that a few teachers may have mentioned it, for example in social studies class. I would usually say something like, "Well, I'm not going to get into a discussion about religion, but to answer your question, part of my moral code is based on Buddhism." And that was as far as I would go, and I never got any blowback on it.

On the other hand, we once had to dismiss a teacher who sometimes literally preached his religion to his classes and would go so far as to tell students that for certain things (such as their clothing choices) that they were going to hell.

I don't think students need to know much about the personal lives and opinions of a teacher/professor/administrator, nor do I think that -- assuming we conduct our lives appropriately -- that who we are as people needs to be a deep, dark secret. The question is, where is the line.

There's another question, too: what do the people who pay our salaries expect of us? We're not being paid to do what we want. We're being paid to do what our employer wants.

I think back to getting my grad degree in admin. One required course was "School Finance". I happened to be taking it during the Reagan presidency, and the professor spent the entire semester preaching Reaganomics...but nothing about school finance. That professor was not doing his job.

Old 06-13-2017, 02:58 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnseca View Post
You are in a different position than a public school K-12 teacher. I am sure your organization is supportive of you saying things that provide assurances to your students.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:27 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You are in a different position than a public school K-12 teacher. I am sure your organization is supportive of you saying things that provide assurances to your students.
I was an ESL teacher this year, K-12, and I cried in front of my high schoolers one day. I had my THIRD student leave the US in fear of dealing with ICE. I didn't talk politics per say, but I said, "I want you here. I don't want you to live in fear and I don't want you to have to leave."

Old 06-14-2017, 02:11 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
I was an ESL teacher this year, K-12, and I cried in front of my high schoolers one day. I had my THIRD student leave the US in fear of dealing with ICE. I didn't talk politics per say, but I said, "I want you here. I don't want you to live in fear and I don't want you to have to leave."
That is not political, that is showong compassion, which is very different than saying an evil man is now president and he is going to try to kick your family out of the country, which one of our mentor teachers was written up for saying.

Old 06-17-2017, 04:23 AM

65 posts, read 59,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Your concern about illegal aliens not being deported would not be politically correct to a law and order conservative.

Old 06-17-2017, 10:27 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Traveling View Post
Your concern about illegal aliens not being deported would not be politically correct to a law and order conservative.
Yes, and I truly think the Native Americans should have had a more stringent policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching