Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2017, 09:09 PM

35 posts, read 36,069 times

Advertisements

What is the best way to do this? It is about two weeks before the semester and I have not signed anything other than a letter of intent. I have not decided either just wanted to know the respectable way to bow out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 12:58 PM

11,652 posts, read 12,727,120 times
Are you thinking of resigning? Check with your district or private school about protocol for not returning for the next school year. Be careful about that letter of intent. Every district or private school has different rules for notification about not returning the following school year. Teachers have lost their license because they did not notify their district with the proper protocol and within the specified time frame.

Old 06-25-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Charter School

This is for a school I have not started yet. They just sent something by email but asked me to go to the school for hiring paperwork.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:06 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,682,219 times
Did you accept verbally and now are declining?

If it were me I wouldn't accept and then decline later on. I think that's an ethics issue, even though it's technically legal. I would personally call the principal you accepted the position from or I would send an e-mail to that principal stating why you are backing out.

I've seen people do this before and never thought highly of those teachers. The worst is the ones who accept and just don't show up to sign the contract, leaving you in limbo and scrambling for a teacher right before the school year begins.

Me personally, if I accepted a position, that is my word and I would never back out on my word. In the past, I accepted an offer before because I was somewhat desperate. Shortly after, I was given an offer in a better location and for $10,000 more, but declined because my word is my word. If I said I accepted the position I would never back out of that. Your reputation follows you.

Old 06-26-2017, 08:43 PM

Default Experience

I did feel the same way as you before I was taken advantage of by a school.

Old 06-26-2017, 10:19 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,251,349 times
This reply is about federal jobs which, of course, has little relation to you job offer, but my son-in-law, an architect, worked for a federal prison after graduation. On a whim he applied for a job in D.C. designing new prisons. He didn't hear anything back, and after nearly a year went by they built a new home and my daughter got pg as they decided they were going to settle in their new community. Then came the reply that he'd been accepted for the D.C. job.

He told his boss that he no longer wanted it, given the changes in their life over the past year, but his boss said if he refused it at that point that he'd NEVER get another federal job/promotion. So they moved to D.C. for a couple years, then moved back when the timing was right.

Just saying... if you indicated you wanted the job and then turn it down, you might have a hard time getting hired there later. Or maybe not.

The best job I've ever had came 6 months after I turned it down the first time it was offered, but that was private industry. (They doubled the offer, then doubled it again and offered me a huge bonus to stay after I gave notice two years later.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching