Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:06 AM

152 posts, read 99,274 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by saying this will be my second time student teaching, my first practicum was terminated but I have been granted a second chance. To clarify, I was terminated because of a few complaints that learning needs were not being met. While this is certainly a concern, I believe I was unfairly expected to handle all the 504s/IEPs at an expert level (and with little guidance). Seasoned teachers have problems in this area, never mind a student teacher...on top of that I had up to 30 students per class wi9th at least half on 504s or IEPs.

Nevertheless I am looking forward to doing it again and would just like some advice to help make this round a successful one. It can go beyond the problems I mentioned. If it helps, I will be teaching high school history, though I've yet to receive my school placement.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2017, 10:30 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
What do you plan on doing differently this time?

The reason IEPs and 504s must be handled expertly is because is federal law that they'll be followed. What will you do if, this time around, you feel again overwhelmed by the accommodations for students with special needs?

Old 11-13-2017, 05:39 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
What do you plan on doing differently this time?

The reason IEPs and 504s must be handled expertly is because is federal law that they'll be followed. What will you do if, this time around, you feel again overwhelmed by the accommodations for students with special needs?
I don’t know why this burden would be placed on a student teacher. The case manager and employed teaching staff alone should be meeting the requirements and servicing the hours. A student teacher shouldn’t be saddled with this to the point it becomes overwhelming.

Old 11-13-2017, 08:28 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I don’t know why this burden would be placed on a student teacher. The case manager and employed teaching staff alone should be meeting the requirements and servicing the hours. A student teacher shouldn’t be saddled with this to the point it becomes overwhelming.
Agreed. 1 or 2 students but to be in charge of everyone by yourself? Insane.

Old 11-14-2017, 05:29 AM

412 posts, read 275,722 times
Just make sure you have a new placement, new school, and if at all possible, a new intern supervisor.

Old 11-14-2017, 07:18 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
I'm really shocked that a student teacher would be given complete authority over a class of 30 where half have an IEP or are receiving 504 services.

I don't think teacher of the year could do that, and have the class meet mainstream academic expectations.

Reading through the school district on GreatSchools website, it sounds like you may have been caught in their push to improve the district from average to above average?

Can you intern in a neighboring school district?

Old 11-15-2017, 11:00 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
To the OP: Forget about thinking about what you want to do or think you should do. Think about what you are expected to do. That's the basis of how you will be evaluated.

Old 11-15-2017, 03:26 PM

412 posts, read 275,722 times
I suppose also ask if what teaching is what you really want to do. Many people like me lost the heart and passion in the last year, and I ended up student teaching because I wanted to hang out with the kids and get summers off, which I didn't make it with that mentality. I do better as a sub, because I only need to make it through that one day.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Because when you student teach, you must make the legally required acommodations and modifications in every lesson you plan and execute.

Old 01-20-2018, 04:04 PM

558 posts, read 434,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
Let me start off by saying this will be my second time student teaching, my first practicum was terminated but I have been granted a second chance. To clarify, I was terminated because of a few complaints that learning needs were not being met. While this is certainly a concern, I believe I was unfairly expected to handle all the 504s/IEPs at an expert level (and with little guidance). Seasoned teachers have problems in this area, never mind a student teacher...on top of that I had up to 30 students per class wi9th at least half on 504s or IEPs.

Nevertheless I am looking forward to doing it again and would just like some advice to help make this round a successful one. It can go beyond the problems I mentioned. If it helps, I will be teaching high school history, though I've yet to receive my school placement.

Thanks!
Did you have a cooperating/supervising teacher? She should never have let this happen because he/she is actually the one who could be sued for failing to meet the legal requirements of IEPs and 504s.

On occasion, student teachers are actually the teachers in classrooms where the school or district can't find qualified teachers. Is this what happened to you?

My advice goes like this:
  • Set up a spread sheet of accommodations. Use initials to indicate students and check off which ones each gets.
  • Over-accommodate when it doesn't harm anyone. For example, I give ALL of my IEP/504 students copies of my notes. I also post them online for the other kids. I set up my tests without huge word banks but rather with five choices printed directly under the items. (Hunting through a word bank of 20 items really isn't one of the teaching standards.)
  • Sometimes I give everyone fill-in-the-blank notes. Some students, though, get a word bank for the blanks. Again, keep the word banks small.
  • EVERY time a student with a 504/IEP fails to complete an assignment, I notify the case manager. Often, they will work with the student to get the work in.
  • When working with groups, design a specific role that the IEP/504 student can fulfill. Sometimes it is doing the illustration. Sometimes it is procuring the group's supplies. Sometimes it is completing the final check list with their classmates input.

As a veteran teacher, I have taught what is known as a "co-taught" class, meaning half the kids need extra services, without a co-teacher. It isn't easy. It takes planning because you have to create two sets of assignments. But that's doable actually.

Get used to the idea that teaching really is hard work. But as a student teacher, you should be getting support from somewhere. Even if you don't have a cooperating/supervising teacher, there should be someone at your university or college that is in charge of student teachers who can support you.

Ask for help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching