Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 11:31 AM

13 posts, read 7,964 times

Advertisements

I’m a first year male teacher looking for input on tactfully handling female student dress code violations. All homeroom teachers at my private school are expected to resolve dress code problems before students are sent to first period. I’ve had two recent incidents where I was cited for failing to enforce dress code standards in my homeroom.

Both incidents are similar in that I failed to address female students coming to homeroom, then going to first period, still wearing sweatpants under their uniform skirts. While technically our student handbook forbids students arriving to school with sweatpants under skirts, our principal permits it as long as the sweatpants are removed before homeroom – generally when students first go to their lockers, because our winter climate has been bone chilling.

My reluctance to enforce the policy stems primarily from embarrassment, as a male authoritative figure, in having to instruct any high school aged female to “remove her sweatpants” before she can leave my homeroom. But on the other hand, I cannot allow myself to get anymore administrative citations. My inexperience makes me dread having to enforce dress code rules under these circumstances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2018, 12:59 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,522,810 times
Follow the policy. You're a first year teacher and have already been tagged twice.

Just say, "Muffy, you know the policy about sweatpants, please come into compliance".

Old 01-25-2018, 07:46 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Follow the policy. You're a first year teacher and have already been tagged twice.

Just say, "Muffy, you know the policy about sweatpants, please come into compliance".
Exactly.

You don't have to actually tell her to take off her pants.

Do it a couple of times, and you won't have to remind them anymore. If you can't bring yourself to make them follow the minor rules, how do you expect them to respect other rules like cheating etc?

Old 01-25-2018, 08:10 PM

426 posts, read 362,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Exactly.

You don't have to actually tell her to take off her pants.

Do it a couple of times, and you won't have to remind them anymore. If you can't bring yourself to make them follow the minor rules, how do you expect them to respect other rules like cheating etc?

I'm guessing he's worrying about if the girl pretends she doesn't know what she did wrong.

Or if she's dumb enough to sincerely not know the rule.

I don't think making them follow minor rules automatically assumes they won't follow major rules though. Most people know cheating is wrong. A dress code isn't even really accurate in the first place, unless they've had problems with kids taking advantage before.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:40 PM

3,403 posts, read 3,574,130 times
I think he is worry about being accuse by girl for sexual harassment. I seen some nice guy like that. These day, you never know.

Old 01-25-2018, 09:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Keep printed copies of the dress code on hand. If a student is out of compliance, hand them one and instruct them to make the necessary adjustments.

You don't need to get into a situation where somebody tries to make a case for calling you a creep.

Old 01-26-2018, 01:38 AM

426 posts, read 362,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Keep printed copies of the dress code on hand. If a student is out of compliance, hand them one and instruct them to make the necessary adjustments.

You don't need to get into a situation where somebody tries to make a case for calling you a creep.

Couldn't the student just tear the copy up if they know the teacher won't actually say anything?

Old 01-26-2018, 04:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
Couldn't the student just tear the copy up if they know the teacher won't actually say anything?
That would then be defiance, worthy of a variety of less pleasant repercussions than just being told to go to the restroom and remove their sweatpants.

Old 01-26-2018, 04:50 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopatriots18 View Post
I’m a first year male teacher looking for input on tactfully handling female student dress code violations. All homeroom teachers at my private school are expected to resolve dress code problems before students are sent to first period. I’ve had two recent incidents where I was cited for failing to enforce dress code standards in my homeroom.

Both incidents are similar in that I failed to address female students coming to homeroom, then going to first period, still wearing sweatpants under their uniform skirts. While technically our student handbook forbids students arriving to school with sweatpants under skirts, our principal permits it as long as the sweatpants are removed before homeroom – generally when students first go to their lockers, because our winter climate has been bone chilling.

My reluctance to enforce the policy stems primarily from embarrassment, as a male authoritative figure, in having to instruct any high school aged female to “remove her sweatpants” before she can leave my homeroom. But on the other hand, I cannot allow myself to get anymore administrative citations. My inexperience makes me dread having to enforce dress code rules under these circumstances.
I absolutely get why this makes you uncomfortable. I'm a little troubled that they apparently don't have the option to wear pants.

Make copies of the dress code and keep them handy. Anytime you see any student in violation of any part of the dress code highlight the section in neon yellow, hand the page to them telling them to sign and date it, put the sheet in a special "dress code violations" folder, then tell them they have 4-5 minutes to go to the locker room or restroom to become in compliance.

The reason you are saving the sheets is to 1) keep a running record in case someone has a pattern of violations, and 2) proof that you do the same thing to all dress code violators - not just telling girls to take off sweat pants.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:52 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty2 View Post
That's not how rules and laws work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching