Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 07:34 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,710,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Yes.

There's more to it than just not being able to leave the room, but yes. Nobody in. Nobody out. Silent. Door locked, lights off, etc.
Your school district doesn't do soft lockdowns aka the police are looking for someone?

What if you have an upset parent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2018, 07:19 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
I work for a non profit. We had training over the weekend on active shooters. I thought it would be a good idea to have my students know what to do in our program in the case of an active shooter. Where to run, etc...One of the public school teachers was around after school and told my boss what happened. My boss told me that's not allowed. I was shocked. My boss said it's not up to us to educate, but the parents and to keep on good terms with the district if the district doesn't teach it then we can't either. The district thinks it will "scare the children" to teach what to do in an emergency. I am thinking well people should be scared! The site we work at is in a not so great area and our gates tend to be left open. Me taking the time to explain what to do when a emergency happens is time it takes away from getting students to safety quicker. Needless, rather what I did is morally right, in my non profit boss's eyes and the district since there is no law requiring it then don't do it.

Anyone else frusterated at this? How has your non profit or district dealt with educating students?
I would be shocked if the school has no active shooter plan in place. That being said, those plans are almost never public knowledge as they then would be compromised endangering the safety of the students. Therefore the issue is really one of if there ever was an emergency, students should be listening to the directions of the teachers, admins and staff, and not someone unfamiliar with the plan in place.

So while I suspect the reasons given were not the actual ones, I agree with the sentiment that you should not be telling students what to do in an emergency.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:24 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Your school district doesn't do soft lockdowns aka the police are looking for someone?

I dont understand this scenario. You mean the parent is the danger? Or that the parents is upset because they don't know where their child is?

Old 10-18-2018, 09:27 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
I dont understand this scenario. You mean the parent is the danger? Or that the parents is upset because they don't know where their child is?
This is generally more of a problem in elementary schools than the other levels - but it’s generally a parent with restricted legal access to the child, whether because the other parent/relative has custody or CPS has placed the child in foster care. Another scenario is a parent who has decided they are going to talk to a teacher who they are angry at, and talk to them right now. Lastly, seeing any adult who has not correctly checked in with the front office.

Old 10-18-2018, 10:59 AM

50,822 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This is generally more of a problem in elementary schools than the other levels - but it’s generally a parent with restricted legal access to the child, whether because the other parent/relative has custody or CPS has placed the child in foster care. Another scenario is a parent who has decided they are going to talk to a teacher who they are angry at, and talk to them right now. Lastly, seeing any adult who has not correctly checked in with the front office.
Exactly.

And I'll give a real life example of that.

We school administrators were in a meeting one day when the secretary ran in and said, "Someone is kidnapping one of our students". A man had come into a classroom and grabbed a 7th grade girl by the arm and forced her out of the classroom and then out of the building. Lucky me...I was the one that caught up with the man. Wisely I didn't put my hands on him, but I walked along with him and found out that he was the girl's father...but as you suggest in your post...he was not allowed to have contact with his daughter due to previous child abuse. He did abduct her, but due to our quick action was apprehended by the police before he had gotten even a half mile from the school. When I came back in the building, one of the secretaries said to me, "You were so brave!" I said I didn't do anything that was that courageous. The secretary said, "You mean you didn't see the gun stuck under his belt?"

Old 10-18-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Ding ding. We have a winner. Many parents skip the office and right down the hall or lie and say they are going to the cafe.

A few parents have been trespassed for acting a fool on campus.

Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM

45,396 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Quote:
Ding ding. We have a winner. Many parents skip the office and right down the hall or lie and say they are going to the cafe.

A few parents have been trespassed for acting a fool on campus.
We had more than one who our SRO had to handcuff. There was one I remember. We caught her son with about a 1/2 pound of weed in his locker (student reported it). Since he was 18 he was going to go to big people jail but we called his mother to let her know.

She came rolling into the building like her hair was on fire and her ass was catching. Went past the front desk and down Administrator Row. There was a line of chairs there so kids could sit down. Well she started throwing those chairs down the corridor and at anyone who came to see what was going on. Yeah, she got cuffed and charged. Didn't ride in the same car as her kid to the jail.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:35 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:

No. It’s one specific drill. No variation. The parent would have to be pretty upset (i.e. violent) I guess for us to go into lockdown. We’ve never had to do it outside of a drill.

My wife and I teach in the same district.

Old 10-18-2018, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
No. It’s one specific drill. No variation. The parent would have to be pretty upset (i.e. violent) I guess for us to go into lockdown. We’ve never had to do it outside of a drill.

My wife and I teach in the same district.
I'm always learning something new from talking on here with this group.

We had a Level 3 Lockdown last year or so when the police were looking for a suspect and they had the helicopter up and they were checking the backyards adjacent to our school.

Old 12-10-2018, 04:55 AM

412 posts, read 275,722 times
The problem I think could be that you weren't trained and this isn't your area of expertise. You were trained for what you should do, not trained for how to educate the students on this topic. For example, it's good for kids to know what to do in the event of physical, sexual, or emotional abuse, but you wouldn't be the one to teach them that. It's likely because these issues can trigger anxiety in children, and professionals who go over this with them are trained on how to word it properly to mitigate that. You're not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching