Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 AM

393 posts, read 409,725 times

Advertisements

Just seeking confirmation/rejection...I'm a middle age man, in teaching for 28 years, and for the last 4 years or so, I've encountered allergies that border on flu. The symptoms usually last for months. Yet during the summer break, no allergies.

I'm wondering if it's possible that I could be allergic to something within the school. It's 50 years old, totally enclosed, 2000 students, etc.

My health, at least during the winter months at school is awful, fatigue, sneezing, aches, etc, like the flu. Anyone else experience this, and what should I do, I have a few years yet before retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2018, 03:42 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
It is certainly possible for the school to have poor air quality and for that to be making you ill.

You might call OSHA to test the premise.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/indoorairquality/schools.html

Quote:
The most common causes of IAQ problems in buildings are:

Not enough ventilation, lack of fresh outdoor air or contaminated air being brought into the building
Poor upkeep of ventilation, heating and air-conditioning systems, and
Dampness and moisture damage due to leaks, flooding or high humidity
Occupant activities, such as construction or remodeling
Indoor and outdoor contaminated air

Old 11-25-2018, 12:51 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Just seeking confirmation/rejection...I'm a middle age man, in teaching for 28 years, and for the last 4 years or so, I've encountered allergies that border on flu. The symptoms usually last for months. Yet during the summer break, no allergies.

I'm wondering if it's possible that I could be allergic to something within the school. It's 50 years old, totally enclosed, 2000 students, etc.

My health, at least during the winter months at school is awful, fatigue, sneezing, aches, etc, like the flu. Anyone else experience this, and what should I do, I have a few years yet before retirement.
I work with a 50+ year old hospital’s HVAC system. If the system isn’t well maintained and replaced at the end of its lifecycle then many issues can come up. First mold can grow on the cooling coils and in the air ducts. Regular cleaning and the addition of inline UV lights help to reduce this issue. Type of air filters are another issue. Some facilities reduce cost by using low rating filters that allow more air to flow than pleated filters with a MERV rating of 8 or higher. Though this low MERV rated filters reduce energy usage, they allow more particles to pass through and stick to the coils and air ducts. If your class room has an air duct vent you can look into an electrostatic filter cloth to put over the air vent. It would have to be changed out roughly every month depending on the quality of the HVAC system. Another option is to purchase and use your own personal air purifier. You’d have to check with administration for approval to have this device constantly plugged in and running all during the school year long. So,e models can be loud. Depending on your geographic location the issue could also be excessively dry air in the classroom. Even a small humidifier can help alleviate the problem. If the issue is dry air, another temporary solution is saline nasal gel. Apply to a Q-Tip and rub inside the nostrils. It helps to keep the nasal passages moist longer during the dry winter months. Other issues could include mold in the walls, dust from rodents and insects in the ceiling, or an allergy to something one or more of the students are using (perfume, cologne, aftershave, body spray, or makeup. An allergist can help with the diagnosis and treatment. Another possible issue is the cleaning materials used by the janitorial staff. Some people can become sensitive or allergic over time to the chemicals. You could have also developed an allergy to tools you use daily in the classroom like dry erase markers for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching