Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 01:27 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,510,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
I don't know how to apply or where to look. You aren't the first to mention this, though.
Go to Google and type amazon fulfillment center jobs near me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 04:20 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
my career counselor seems focused on helping me land that "dream job." I appreciate that she thinks I'm capable of so much, but I've been waiting around for months now. At this point, I would gladly settle for something to pay the bills.

With all of the help they offer, though, I think it would be silly of me to just ask for any old job when I might have access to opportunities I wouldn't get otherwise.
Your counselor does not sound as if she understands your situation. The fact that she thinks that you're somehow going to land a "dream job," despite the many jobs that have not worked out for you, as well as the fact that you've been waiting around for months, does not speak well of her qualifications.

Does this counselor know anything about autism?

Old 01-23-2019, 07:03 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
I thought about maybe just signing up with truck driving school, one that will train me for free in exchange for a year with their company. It was one of the few opportunities I've found in the area that seemed interested in having me as an employee, but after I mentioned it to my dad and let him know I was seriously considering it, he got really upset with me and said it was like committing suicide.

I don't really get it. I'm supposed to be working, and I need to be working, yet when I find a good opportunity, a place that will literally pay to TRAIN me, I get told that it's ridiculous and dangerous and something I shouldn't even be considering.

It doesn't seem like anyone is going to help me, so why shouldn't I just try to help myself? I'm sick of people taking one look at me and then just assuming I can't do the job or assuming I'm not a good employee because I may take a little longer to learn it than everybody else.

I've been unemployed for months, and I couldn't even get unemployment. This is just stupid.

I didn't go to college just to sit around unemployed and have people tell me how "lazy" and "useless" I am!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post

Does this counselor know anything about autism?
I don't think I know enough about autism; to me, it just seems like people are refusing to train me and being mean to me. I've gone to job interviews and didn't get the jobs because I couldn't answer the questions. I hate all of these games people play.

Last edited by krmb; 01-23-2019 at 07:15 PM..

Old 01-23-2019, 07:54 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
I thought about maybe just signing up with truck driving school, one that will train me for free in exchange for a year with their company. It was one of the few opportunities I've found in the area that seemed interested in having me as an employee, but after I mentioned it to my dad and let him know I was seriously considering it, he got really upset with me and said it was like committing suicide.

I don't really get it. I'm supposed to be working, and I need to be working, yet when I find a good opportunity, a place that will literally pay to TRAIN me, I get told that it's ridiculous and dangerous and something I shouldn't even be considering.

It doesn't seem like anyone is going to help me, so why shouldn't I just try to help myself? I'm sick of people taking one look at me and then just assuming I can't do the job or assuming I'm not a good employee because I may take a little longer to learn it than everybody else.

I've been unemployed for months, and I couldn't even get unemployment. This is just stupid.

I didn't go to college just to sit around unemployed and have people tell me how "lazy" and "useless" I am!

I don't think I know enough about autism; to me, it just seems like people are refusing to train me and being mean to me. I've gone to job interviews and didn't get the jobs because I couldn't answer the questions. I hate all of these games people play.
Being a truck driver is a very physically labor-intensive job. Do you even know how to drive a stick shift? You realize when you get to wherever you’re driving to you you have to load and unload the truck right?

Old 01-24-2019, 02:13 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Being a truck driver is a very physically labor-intensive job. Do you even know how to drive a stick shift? You realize when you get to wherever you’re driving to you you have to load and unload the truck right?
I didn't know that, but if they're going to train me for six months while paying me, won't they probably go over that, too? I can't go from CDL learner straight to driver, so there will be someone else driving with me, so...

Old 01-24-2019, 07:11 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Driving a truck is quite isolating. Maybe your dad knows that and knows you well enough that he's simply concerned about your well being.

I think the assembly line job might not be a bad idea.

Quote:
I don't think I know enough about autism
But the career counselor is supposed to help you with that, isn't she?

Old 01-24-2019, 10:12 AM

Quote:
I didn't know that, but if they're going to train me for six months while paying me, won't they probably go over that, too? I can't go from CDL learner straight to driver, so there will be someone else driving with me, so...
No, they are not going to train you to drive a stick shift. That is a pretty basic pre-requisite to learning to drive a truck. They will not hire you.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Driving a truck is quite isolating. Maybe your dad knows that and knows you well enough that he's simply concerned about your well being.

I think the assembly line job might not be a bad idea.

But the career counselor is supposed to help you with that, isn't she?
I don't think she's trained in autism, I think she's just someone from the state, unemployment office or similar. OP needs a counselor specializing in autism. I don't get the impression she knows al that much about it or really understands where OP struggles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching