Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 04:50 PM

161 posts, read 389,980 times

Advertisements

27 minutes ago

I am going to try and cliffnote this as best as possible. I am NOT happy in my current position. My building and administration is completely toxic. I am constantly being targeted and bullied, and I am always told that things are wrong or I can't do them when I do exactly what most other teachers do. I have been actively looking to leave mid-year and I have not yet found anything in my contract saying I cannot do that. My anxiety and depression has hit an all time high and for my own mental health, I need to leave.

I applied to a Kindergarten teaching position in a MUCH smaller town and school system then what I am in now. After about a couple weeks, I was called for an interview. I met with the principal and school staff this past Tuesday over Zoom. I was honest, friendly, and passionate in my responses. The team smiled the whole time, nodded the whole time and I felt like I had known them forever. This was the team and community I wanted to be a part of. On Thursday morning, I sent out an email just telling them what a pleasure it was to meet with everyone and how I felt motivated by the supportive climate and I was enthused by the fact that I share the same educational goals and beliefs as the staff. She responded shortly after saying that I was recommended to the superintendent for the next set of interviews.

He emailed me Fri morning asking to interview at 5:00pm with him, and I was one of two candidates. TALK ABOUT NERVES. So, I spent from 5-5:40pm on the Zoom Call with the superintendent. The conversation with him felt very informal. We talked about the town, the school, and I noticed he kept saying "your classroom" a lot. He said he wanted to get to know me as a human being because that cannot be taught. He asked a couple teacher-related questions, but they were mostly about my character. We discussed my college experiences and he shared that his wife and I went to the same college for undergrad. He talked to me about salary, we decided on a start date and he talked to me about benefits. He said the candidate after me at 6pm had to give a longer notice than I had to as I told him I was going to respectfully give my district a 2 weeks because I had not seen otherwise. The interview ended with him talking about my certification and what positive qualities having that could bring to the school, and I told him I was hopeful and ready for this change to continue my professional and personal growth. He said he'd let me know by Monday at the latest, but he would try to let me know earlier via email either way so I could get the ball rolling with HR. He said if I am chosen he would like me to just accept ASAP so he knows we are moving forward and then we said our goodbyes.

Thanks anxiety! I have been checking my email non-stop since last night, LOL. Based on other people's experiences - I know it's a 50/50 chance and not knowing what the other candidate brought to the table is killing me - but does anyone think I have a good shot at this job? The way he was talking did not go unnoticed by me, but I am going to be heartbroken if this doesn't work out and might have to consider quitting anyway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 05:34 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
I don't know the rules in your state but many prevent you from moving mid-year to another district in the SAME state. In effect, you could switch states and jump right in, but not in your own state.

Have you checked on this? It's possible if your current school would like for you to leave, your district may bend the rules, to part company. OTH, if you will leave them teacher-less midyear, they may retaliate.

Does the new district know you are already under contract for the year?

Old 12-19-2020, 05:44 PM

There is nothing in my state about leaving mid-year and I know several other teachers who have done it.

The new district is very aware of my current situation.

Old 12-20-2020, 07:25 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,174,802 times
Does your union have any policy on this?

Old 12-20-2020, 07:41 AM

The union is who wrote the contract, so no. The people close to me that I've spoken to said nothing can be done with a 2 week notice. If I find out Monday I got the job, they will be getting a 3.5 week notice.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:20 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time in your current school. It's stories like this, that make me glad I didn't go into teaching. I did get a teaching certificate, but teaching just wasn't in the cards for me, for various reasons, which turned out to be ok. It sounds like you interview very well, and you haven't let your current difficulties dampen your passion for teaching. Please let us know how things turn out.

The only thing about. your story that raises a concern, is that the superintendent was counting on your being available sooner than the other candidate. And now that's changed. A 3.5-week notice is still better than a 4-week notice, but not by much. I hope , that if he chooses you, he won't be disappointed, or won't retract the offer. Remember, you said you and he had decided on a start date. You now won't be able to meet that requirement, if I understood your post correctly. But other than that, you sound like a great candidate. Are you ready for kindergarten?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-20-2020 at 08:39 AM..

Old 12-20-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I'm sorry to hear you're having a tough time in your current school. It's stories like this, that make me glad I didn't go into teaching. I did get a teaching certificate, but teaching just wasn't in the cards for me, for various reasons, which turned out to be ok. It sounds like you interview very well, and you haven't let your current difficulties dampen your passion for teaching. Please let us know how things turn out.

The only thing about. your story that raises a concern, is that the superintendent was counting on your being available sooner than the other candidate. And now that's changed. A 3.5-week notice is still better than a 4-week notice, but not by much. I hope , that if he chooses you, he won't be disappointed, or won't retract the offer. Remember, you said you and he had decided on a start date. You now won't be able to meet that requirement, if I understood your post correctly. But other than that, you sound like a great candidate. Are you ready for kindergarten?

My district does not have a notice requirement. I have checked my contract up and down. I told him I was going to respectfully give a 2-week notice, but in actuality I'd be giving them more. The worst that can happen is I lose my sick days (no pay-out) and they don't re-hire me in the district ever (which trust me, that's fine, lol). Nothing has changed as far as that's concerned as I do not have to give a 30-60 day notice. The start date he gave me is still definitely able to be the start date! I have not given notice to my position until I receive an email from him and I am definitely hoping for the best.

I am very ready for Kindergarten! I am currently in Special Ed Pre-K so early childhood is definitely where my heart is at, but I want to be able to do more academic teaching as well as SEL teaching. I am also enthused at the idea of going somewhere in which the staff is supportive and welcoming as opposed to where I am now!

Old 12-20-2020, 03:32 PM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindlyunspoken23 View Post
There is nothing in my state about leaving mid-year and I know several other teachers who have done it.

The new district is very aware of my current situation.
You better check again if your location as listed is South Carolina.

https://www.wspa.com/news/top-storie...ce-punishment/

https://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t59c025.php Look at Section 59-25-530.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:57 PM

Oops. Haven't lived there since 2014. Should prob update that haha

Old 12-21-2020, 08:08 AM

4,383 posts, read 4,234,636 times
Many states will pull your license if you break your contract. Be 100% sure before you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching