Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 03:15 PM

938 posts, read 3,506,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post

The classes I tried in were those that interested me. So, interest them. Dont drone on and on without putting something different in the mix.
That really can't be done, thanks to standardized testing and the No Child Left Behind act. Teachers are required to teach the standardized tests that their students are given at the end of the year, and the students all have to score proficent or advanced by 2012 on these tests, or the schools loose funding, get taken over by the state, or shut down. There isn't any room for a teacher to teach fun things that students may be interested in and may attract students with all the pressure to do well on standardized tests. This is a major flaw of the NCLB act and standardized testing in general. With the exceptions of elective courses, the teachers have to teach the kids whatever is on the test, over and over again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 03:45 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
That really can't be done, thanks to standardized testing and the No Child Left Behind act. Teachers are required to teach the standardized tests that their students are given at the end of the year, and the students all have to score proficent or advanced by 2012 on these tests, or the schools loose funding, get taken over by the state, or shut down. There isn't any room for a teacher to teach fun things that students may be interested in and may attract students with all the pressure to do well on standardized tests. This is a major flaw of the NCLB act and standardized testing in general. With the exceptions of elective courses, the teachers have to teach the kids whatever is on the test, over and over again.
Yes, but surely they can make what they are teaching fun to learn in some way?

Old 10-03-2008, 01:15 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
My high school had a program like this. For your junior and senior years they would bus you to the nearest Vo-Tech school (about 30 miles away) for the second half of every day of school. There, people would learn welding, auto body, bricklaying, how to be an electrician, even entry nursing/EMT classes. It kept a lot of people in school and was a very good program for students who weren't college bound, but were well-suited for technical degrees. Many of these students probably would have dropped out without the Vo-Tech program.

However, despite the availability of the Vo-Tech program, my old high school had and still has a high dropout rate. I graduated HS in 2003, with a total of 74 in my class. We started with 110-ish. A good portion of the loss of 40 or so students were do to drop outs. The area is rural and low income (slightly over 20% of the population is below the poverty line). This wasn't because the school failed, it was because these kids were generally lazy, disruptive, not concerned with learning at all, and often came from single-parent homes were education is not valued. If Johnny's dad did just fine being a logger with an 8th grade education, chances are he's not going to care very much if Johnny is flunking Algebra. IMO, good riddance to many of the dropouts, as a lot of them were the disruptive people in class who made it hard for everyone else to learn and were constantly causing problems (although there were some who high school legitimately wasn't for).

Agreed. My school also had a similar Vo-tech program Thought it was good for many students to learn printing, electronics, auto body etc. The ones that are lazy is another story. Did some volunteer teaching in a refinery town. Lots of kids had the idea that dad dropped out and got a good job at the plant so I can too. AT 16 its hard to see down the road 20 years if the plant closes and moves jobs to China.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:18 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Quote:
Yes, but surely they can make what they are teaching fun to learn in some way?

Its hard to make learning 'fun' for people who dont care. SOme think learning something new is fun. Maybe look at it as building your skillset so you can make more money. Life isnt about fun.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Its hard to make learning 'fun' for people who dont care. SOme think learning something new is fun. Maybe look at it as building your skillset so you can make more money. Life isnt about fun.
No sheeit Sherlock.

I am just remembering that as a teenager, I was BORED in school. Therefore I didnt give a crap what the teacher was saying, and invented ways to entertain myself....like duct-taping a teacher's desk drawer shut.

If, for some reason, we actually did some sort of fun activity to teach the lesson, I learned more that way and had less time to think of mischief.

Maybe look at it as building your skillset so you can make more money.

Thats how I am forced to look at it in college, thank you very much. And I hate that I am pushed into that mindset. Id rather not have my brain become old and shriveled before its time.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:50 AM

175 posts, read 439,271 times
In addition to that, we have to really watch it these days on how we get after student. We aren't free to really lecture and show the charge.

I think one problem is due to the fact of many not liking the strictness. Back in the 1960's I heard students would get kicked out for what they do now in SOME cases. Many want to be more free-spirited I guess.

Since teachers cannot be as strict, we've lost the power. I understand it myself. Many of these teachers back in the 50's and 60's were more strict, sometimes even downright mean. However, they got more respect and less interruption. But it seems no one really likes that. It seems it's the student's way, the student's view and the parent's just go right along with it.

So since we let the student's win most of the time, we also get to loose some really great teachers which in turn causes student's to loose a great learning experience.

Old 10-06-2008, 12:39 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Thats how I am forced to look at it in college, thank you very much. And I hate that I am pushed into that mindset. Id rather not have my brain become old and shriveled before its time.

Just make sure you major in something you love to learn about, then. It's all up to you, no one else. Only you know what trips your trigger.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Just make sure you major in something you love to learn about, then. It's all up to you, no one else. Only you know what trips your trigger.
Ah, now there's the rub. I actually don't like my major. However, I am (academically anyhow) good at it. It is merely a means to an end...i.e affording the degree in the job that I DO want, and being able to get rid of the job I have now.

All during gradeschool though, I remember thinking to myself " I wouldnt mind learning. Just somebody do something to MAKE me care"

Old 10-06-2008, 03:53 PM

124 posts, read 479,229 times
To solve this problem, you have to make class FUN and EXCITING. which is easier said than done. You have to take time to get to know your students, thier interests, what they are good at, then incorporate them into your class.

You have to stress to your students why it is important for them to know the information. The only way to do this is to get to know your students on an individual level and teach them the information in a way that interests them.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 AM

82 posts, read 295,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
The problem is that like the kids many teachers are just there because they have to be in order to collect their pay check. I was such a kid in middle school (well Jr high back then), I gave my teachers hell. The worse the teacher was the worse I (and others) were.
How would you like your teacher to have changed? What would have made them better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching