Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 12:00 AM

175 posts, read 439,316 times

Advertisements

Hey Diamond, in most states they don't require subs to be actual licensed teachers. Some states require it. Some states require a certain number of college hours only.

You have to be certified by going through a background check with fingerprints which is good. After that, you send in a resume and have an interview with the district superintendent or principal of the school you choose to teach.

The superintendent usually gives the requirements and policies of the district and then you are ready to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 12:10 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
Hey Diamond, in most states they don't require subs to be actual licensed teachers. Some states require it. Some states require a certain number of college hours only.

You have to be certified by going through a background check with fingerprints which is good. After that, you send in a resume and have an interview with the district superintendent or principal of the school you choose to teach.

The superintendent usually gives the requirements and policies of the district and then you are ready to go.
Thats it?? Thats all it takes?

No wonder it was so easy to harrass Subs in high school....Most of them would eventually give in and put in the movie that was being discussed earlier in the thread.

Now, my question for the subs is this:

Do ya'll ever notice the looks students give each other when a sub shows up?
Can you tell which of these looks means you're in for a hard time?

Do you know that students tell each other in advance in the hallways if there is a sub in their class?

Have any of you ever had pranks pulled on you by students?

Im asking this because I remember the treatment of subs in high school very well, and was wondering if ya'll knew/noticed the same things that I did.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:36 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,555,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Thats it?? Thats all it takes?

No wonder it was so easy to harrass Subs in high school....Most of them would eventually give in and put in the movie that was being discussed earlier in the thread.

Now, my question for the subs is this:

Do ya'll ever notice the looks students give each other when a sub shows up?
Can you tell which of these looks means you're in for a hard time?

Do you know that students tell each other in advance in the hallways if there is a sub in their class?

Have any of you ever had pranks pulled on you by students?

Im asking this because I remember the treatment of subs in high school very well, and was wondering if ya'll knew/noticed the same things that I did.
I subbed for a short time but I knew the importance of taking control of the class within the first 2 minutes. If you do not command that control, the students run the classroom. Of course there is going to be much doubt on the part of the students. Normally, the sub means they are in for a an easy day. However, different subs have different reps. I treat them with respect and will even have some fun, but they have to know that you are in control. It is very hard, but it can be a very rewarding challenge. No pranks experienced but I have heard of other subs getting them.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Wait a minute...just what does it take to qualify for sub-work anyhow? I thought they all had to be licensed teachers?
It depends on the district. When I lived in ND, to sub, one had to be a licensed teacher. Where I now live in TN, you need to be 21 and have a HS diploma; although a GED may meet the requirements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbomb82 View Post
After that, you send in a resume and have an interview with the district superintendent or principal of the school you choose to teach.
That may be the case where you live, but where I'm at and other districts I know of that is not required. One simply fills out an application, has an interview with HR, does some basic half day training, and waits on calls.

My city has two school districts and I sub for both. The city school system hires the sub and calls them at god awful hours the morning of to see if they can sub that day.

The county school district has a better system. They have totally removed themselves from the process - they contract out all sub work to a temp agency. The subs are employees of the temp agency and you find jobs through an online database similar to eBay.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:07 PM

274 posts, read 606,253 times
I subbed for a middle school when I was fresh out of high school (eighteen years old) and in my first year of college (a non-education related major). I've done it on and off (breaks, some summers when I was in New York, etc) for three years now.

Since I was fresh out of HS (and only a few years older than the kids I was subbing for) I was not stupid as to what they were going to pull.

Every class, (even if the teacher didn't require it) I told them the classwork was going to be collected and graded. I left teachers a detailed report on each class, every period (ie. who was absent, who went to what lesson, how they acted, any incidents, etc.).

If the teacher didn't leave any work, I went to another (science, english, etc) teacher at the same grade level and asked them what the class was doing now, and if they could provide me with an assignment.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:29 AM

604 posts, read 4,622,169 times
I'm a sub, licensed teacher who moved and returning to work after 8 yrs SAHM. Got one interview (I believe it was a courtesy from the principal b/c I subbed 4 mos. one class last yr) out of 500 applicants. Teacher's are struggling in Florida, and I'm still looking. I will probably have to go into a undesirable urban school in the next district to get started.

I only sub at my kids local elementary school this year b/c extended day is $695/month for two kids. Can't afford to pay if I don't have guaranteed work, so they just come to the room after for a few minutes. Most of the teachers I know well and leave good lessons b/c they know I can handle it. I had one last week that didn't leave me any books, but I just visited the teacher next door. I am good at making games out of anything, even the dictionary.

PLEASE do not correct my spelling/grammar issues......I type as I think, not type as I would write!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:13 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
In Missouri, you must have 60 hours of college credit and must be able to pass an FBI background check. I started subbing b/c my kids' school talked me into it and I just knew that I would hate it, but loved it and now I'm working on getting certified to teach English. I've had little tricks played on me, but none of them have been cruel, and I'm actually rather amused by most of them. Once two boys switched seats and told me their wrong names, but one of them was related to me slightly, so I knew him but he didn't know me. Boy was he surprised when I called them on it--I still tease them about it.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:34 AM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
To sub in a public school in CA, you must have a bachelor's degree, pass the CBEST, and be fingerprinted. You may then apply ($) for a 30-day emergency teaching credential.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:24 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,981,632 times
I'm really surprised CA is that picky. What do they pay subs in some of CA's districts?

The two districts I sub with in TN pay $65/day and $75/day.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:15 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
In Missouri, you must have 60 hours of college credit and must be able to pass an FBI background check. I started subbing b/c my kids' school talked me into it and I just knew that I would hate it, but loved it and now I'm working on getting certified to teach English. I've had little tricks played on me, but none of them have been cruel, and I'm actually rather amused by most of them. Once two boys switched seats and told me their wrong names, but one of them was related to me slightly, so I knew him but he didn't know me. Boy was he surprised when I called them on it--I still tease them about it.
Aw...now I feel ashamed...
I once duct-taped a subs desk drawer shut...
And another, I added locks to the file cabinets ( where I knew my teacher kept her lesson plans and attendance rolls) so that it was impossible for the sub to get into the cabinet...She ended up having to get the janitors to cut each lock off..
And yet still another, I induced about half of my classmates to tell the sub their wrong names, and to keep switching seats when her back was turned....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching