Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2008, 01:06 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,542 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have my teaching degree, and I'm subbing in my area, and networking for a job. I have a great rapport with teachers, students and secretaries, but here's my problem: I don't know how to approach principals and administrators. I always get the impression that they're too busy to deal with annoying little appointments from a sub, but I want to let them know that I'm here, and that I love working in their school.

Does anyone have any suggestions on establishing contact with administrators if you're networking or looking for a job? Maybe a letter? Maybe scheduling a brief appointment to introduce myself? What are your thoughts

Mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 PM

135 posts, read 512,981 times
I think a brief appt. to introduce yourself is fine.

Good luck!!

Old 12-18-2008, 05:15 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,253,495 times
If you are subbing in their building for a day or two, send a thank you card. Thank them for being a "guest teacher" in their school. Mention a few specifics that were nice about the experience. Mention you would like to transition into a classroom of your own. Include your phone nuimber. Good luck!

Old 12-19-2008, 08:58 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,517,079 times
In our area the way to get a job is to sub or become an aide. I believe over 90% of the classroom aides are certified in my school district. It's kind of a given that if you are subbing or working as an aide that you would like a classroom and the way to do that is to apply for any openings that come up. I'm not sure a busy building Principal would appreciate a meeting with a sub just for him/her to state the obvious - JMHO. I can understand why you would want to have a meeting, but it might be a awkward.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:35 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,793,403 times
When I went from subbing to getting a TA job, I took my business card to the woman in charge of hiring and introduced myself, then gave her a list of the teachers I'd subbed for and told her I was interested in the new position I'd heard about. I got hired very shortly after that. I know a teacher job is harder to get, but I think a quick intro with maybe even a resume, and names of people who will back you up would be fine. I was in her office for less than a minute. This would probably work even better if you know of a position opening up--keep an eye out for pregnant or retiring teachers.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:20 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
If you are subbing in their building for a day or two, send a thank you card. Thank them for being a "guest teacher" in their school. Mention a few specifics that were nice about the experience. Mention you would like to transition into a classroom of your own. Include your phone nuimber. Good luck!
Excellent advise, that is exactly what my daughter did when she was doing her interning and her subbing.................once her degree and certification was completed she received several calls from some schools........and here is the great thing...................

immediately after she choose a school offer and went to works as a 3d grade teacher, she was called up with her national guard unit for deployment in Iraq.

Over a year away from the school and only 4 months on the job when she was deployed (that means probation)
She came back home with one purple heart, 2 bronze stars and her school principal called a school assembly to welcome her back home and to work................. Would it be shameless of me to mention how proud I am of that kid.............

Old 12-22-2008, 02:28 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,541,295 times
One thing I know some substitute/student teachers did was to volunteer at school-wide activities. What this did was to make them more visible to the principal and administration. This also tells them you're willing to do more to help the school.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:19 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,679,059 times
I agree with many of these ideas. The more of a presence you have on campus, the more others will recognize you and know that you are serious about your work. I've heard of people emailing their resumes and cover letters directly to principals before job fairs. Spring time will be here before you know it and you know that in the spring comes all the job fairs and the influx of applications and resumes; if you can talk to an administrator now while you have an edge up on other prospective teachers, you have a greater chance of getting a job offer.

When testing time comes in 2009, volunteer to serve as a proctor. Help out in the media center or in the office. Those little things can help out in such a large way. You never know--even if there's not a vacancy in that particular school, administrators can give you that reference that will get you into a school that is just as good

I honestly don't think it's a bad idea to set up an appointment with a principal. Principals aren't as intimidating as they seem...many of them are glad to talk to people who are wanting to help them to improve their school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching