Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 05:31 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,598 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm looking into various education programs and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about good schools to go to in order to get a teaching credential for secondary school/ master degree.. I recently read somewhere that Stanford is a good school to consider for this? Any others that you can recommend that are worth looking into? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 09:03 PM

242 posts, read 788,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoresident View Post
Hi,

I'm looking into various education programs and was wondering if anyone has any thoughts about good schools to go to in order to get a teaching credential for secondary school/ master degree.. I recently read somewhere that Stanford is a good school to consider for this? Any others that you can recommend that are worth looking into? Thanks!!
Stanford may be a good school but is very costly. You might want to look into a good public school for this being that a teachers salary isnt that high it could take you forever to pay off that debt. Unless you just really want to go to Stanford. I dont know what part of ca you are located in to tell you who has good teaching programs. I know in NoCal, UCB, SFSU, SJSU, CSUEB are some of the public ones that I have heard has good programs.

Old 03-27-2009, 12:39 PM

648 posts, read 3,091,054 times
If you live in Chicago you could stay fairly close to home by going to one of the University of WI colleges. Most if not all of them are highly rated in general. If you're thinking of teaching in NY you better get your degree from a school in NY!! According to the posts I've read on the NY site, most schools in NY only hire teachers who went through in state schools. They are very highly rated as well.

Old 03-27-2009, 01:17 PM

193 posts, read 1,143,598 times
Thanks for the replies! I actually am looking to move out of the Chicago area to a warm state like Florida or California.. you're right, Stanford will be expensive.. will look into the public unis as well..thx!

Old 03-27-2009, 02:40 PM

706 posts, read 3,764,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoresident View Post
Thanks for the replies! I actually am looking to move out of the Chicago area to a warm state like Florida or California.. you're right, Stanford will be expensive.. will look into the public unis as well..thx!
Harvard's Education program is great (there are programs you can complete in one year), however, of course, very expensive as is Brown University, Columbia Teacher's College and New York University which also have very reputable Teacher Education Programs.
Some of the Ivy's offer partial scholarships for Master's programs which don't amount to much relative to the total cost. (Significant funding is more available for Doctorate and Ph.D programs at these schools).

Michigan also has a very reputable Education program and isn't nearly as expensive.

At any rate, whereever you go, you should look into programs and fellowships for aspiring teachers.

Try attaining information on the state education sites of the states you're interested in residing.
Also, visit the sites of particular schools of interest.

For instance, in NY there are programs for graduates (undergrads) who've not yet earned credit in Master's Programs with paid tuition in such designated shortage areas as Math, Science and Special Ed.

There are also programs for mid-career aspiring teachers who have worked in other fields and are returning to school for teaching.

In addition, there are aspiring teacher fellowships you may want to research for both high school graduates and college graduates with Bachelor Degrees.

btw, when I was transferring from undergrad to graduate studies, I got lots of offers for tuition-paid, PLUS stipend at various State Universities (if you have very good grades and can write a killer personal statement).

I've re-thought my decision to forego those many times...*lol*
Just kidding, I have no regrets, but paid tuition plus stipend definitely has it's benefits.

So do your research...

Good Luck!

Old 03-27-2009, 03:55 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times
You should read some of the education journals, e.g. The High School Journal, Reading Teacher, etc. and see where the authors of journal articles teach. Then you can consider those universities.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:43 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,265 times
As an educator, my best advice is to think about going to school in the state in which you will want to teach. You will more than likely graduate with the credentials and certifications needed to begin your career in that state.

Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,314,203 times
Honestly, getting a Masters in education at Stanford or Harvard is not going to give you a leg up on getting a job over someone that graduated from Madison, Eau Claire or where ever. All it will do is give you an enormous amount of debt. Considering you will pay what, $100,000 to get a masters at Harvard and you might get a $10,000 raise, MAYBE, it doesn't make any sense. Find a state school AFTER you get a teaching job and tenure, THEN get your masters.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:53 PM

31 posts, read 85,714 times
anybody know of anything about the Masters program at Hunter College (nyc) for teaching?

Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,737 times
Though, i don't think that rankings are the be-all and end-all, I do think that they can be helpful indicators of programs worth checking out. U.S. New's rankings for graduate schools with secondary teacher education programs can be found here:Secondary teacher education - Best Education Schools - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report. Stanford is on the list, but so are eight public universities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching