Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2009, 07:49 AM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times

Advertisements

Certificate Programs in a variety of subjects are springing up all over the place. Many of them are being taught in Colleges and Universities. I have taught classes in a few Certificate Programs and have attended classes in them also.

I am starting to be down on the whole certificate program concept. It seems like everyone passes the class just as long as they attend and sit there for the two hours. No class participation is required, and the student has no incentive to do well or study for the tests because everything is pass/fail.

Is this your experience with Certificate Programs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 06:01 PM

34 posts, read 180,362 times
I received a Certificate in Marketing from UC Berkeley back in 1998. I had an Undergraduate Degree in Commumincations from another PAC 10 University back in the 80's and was in a union job at a major airline and wanted to facilitate a move into Management.
I was contemplating an MBA ,but wasn't sure at the time. This was the catalyst I needed and helped me secure my Management position.

The Extension/Certificate Programs at Berkeley are top notch. It was no slouch of a Program either. If I remember correctly I took 8 courses. I would complete a semester course in little over a month! In a six week time frame I would read entire Marketing textbook, have midterm and a final and complete a group project/presentation! Not every class was a project but about half. It took me about a year and half to complete the program.
The instructors were all either Berkeley professors or very successful in their field in the Bay Area.

So basically other than my day job, all I did was focus on the one class for an entire month including weekends.

The classes were not transferable to a Berkeley MBA program,however at the time they were acceptable to many lesser name institutions towards other degrees. I received a 3.5 GPA and really enjoyed the program immensely.

I don't have the MBA by my name, however the Program served its purpose to meet my goal.

UC System has some excellent Certificate Programs. I suggest whatever school you choose, make sure the Program meets your criteria to reach the Goal you have established for yourself.

Good Luck!

Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 PM

943 posts, read 3,160,779 times
The certificate programs I am connected with are pass fail and everyone passes. That is the problem. It is to easy.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:55 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times
And no one respects them. Unless you are doing it for yourself (and are a good, disciplined student who will make sure that they learn in spite of pass/fail), I do not recommend--it does nothing for your resume or job prospects. In fact, most places have initiated these programs for students who are not accepted into more prestigious and difficult programs (which means they are a "consolation prize," if you will. Also a way for universities to make money without having to admit students into the more difficut and prestigious programs.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching