Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
How does it follow that they are paid poorly relative to their skill and education because their average salary is less than the local median? You'd need to compare their salaries with other people with similar education to know that.

Also at least in the 2000 census the median house hold income in Ft. Lauderdale was $37,000.
$62,000 is the number Broward county reports as median household income in Broward (not Ft Lauderdale). I didn't make it up.

Broward County - Development Management Division (http://www.broward.org/development/affordable.htm - broken link)

No date is given, but $62K seems much more in line with what I see around here.

You are making exactly the same point I made. You can't say teachers make more than the median income so they are well paid. Teachers make less than other people with similar education. I don' t have hard data, but I know that the paralegals in my husband's office are all college graduates and all make more than teachers. I realize this is a very small sample size but most college graduates make more than $38.5K per year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
There time off matters, they get a livable wage and the tax payers should not have to pay for their time off. If they want more money they can do something in their free time.

Would you pay more money for a product because their employees got an extra 2 month off each year?
Most teachers I know work in the summer. My comments were directed towards people who say they make so much money because they get days off in December and the like. It's not like teachers can go get a job for the 5 days of spring break or the 10 days of winter break.

Teachers in Broward are hardly paid a liveable wage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Regardless of the reason is the unit cost validated by the output? Forget who is at fault if anyone. Is the taxpayer getting a fair return on their investment. If the Broward Public Schools could be put in a stock portfolio would it be a:
Buy
Sell
Hold
Absolutely not but teacher salaries are not the only expense of the public schools.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Absolutely not but teacher salaries are not the only expense of the public schools.
Salaries, teachers' and otherwise, are 90% of the expense of the Boulder Valley (CO) Public School District, according to a conversation I had with the superintendent last week.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Salaries, teachers' and otherwise, are 90% of the expense of the Boulder Valley (CO) Public School District, according to a conversation I had with the superintendent last week.
I read something in the newspaper here that my county spends only 56% of its budget on instruction. Clearly, teacher salaries do not make up 90% of the budget here.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
I read something in the newspaper here that my county spends only 56% of its budget on instruction. Clearly, teacher salaries do not make up 90% of the budget here.
I'm talking about ALL salaries: teachers, coaches (not necessarily one and the same here), bus drivers, cafeteria workers, parapros, etc.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:40 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,295,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Well let's not leave the parents out, and our declining society out of that equation as well. Teachers teach what parents bring to us each and every day, and if your best and brightest child is a drug baby, a child neglected, a child molested by his or her parents, a malnourished child, as well as a child who is basically raising him or herself, then that country in decline show nuff falls back on whom?
This is a pretty standard argument that teachers use to divert blame away from themselves. The fact is the educational system spends more time with children nowadays that the parents do. And 100% of that time is spent in instruction. While I do not hold parents blameless, the truth is by the time they get home from work, make sure everyone is fed, bathed, and homework is done, it is pretty much bedtime, which does not leave much time to do much in the way of teaching or installing values. To insinuate most of the problems with children come from being drug babies, neglected, molested, or malnourished is disingenuous at best. Most kids just come from a situation where, since their mothers are working, no one has time for them and they are basically being raised by a dysfunctional education system. We are now in a downward spiral where the educational system is turning out under educated graduates, who in turn, do not do their duty as citizens because they do not understand their responsibilities as citizens, or how the government even works. The government easily manipulates the under educated populous, and sets the educational agenda to insure they are never held to task for their misdeeds. We have now sunk to a point where we have to import doctors and engineers, and our best economists think it is possible to borrow your way out of debt. At this point I believe the only way to begin to turn this around is for mothers to quit work, stay home and raise their children. They need be involved, and to hold the school systems feet to the fire about what and how their children are being taught in school. But that might mean they have to give up their SUV and their all important careers. I guess that is more important than their children and the future of the country, so it won’t happen

Last edited by jimhcom; 05-01-2009 at 10:06 PM..

Old 05-01-2009, 09:49 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about ALL salaries: teachers, coaches (not necessarily one and the same here), bus drivers, cafeteria workers, parapros, etc.
The original comment was wrt whether the public was getting a good value from the school system. My answer was no, but teacher salaries are not the only expense of the system. Salaries may make up 90% of a school budget but teacher's salaries do not.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
The difference may be in which budgets you are comparing. The operating budget which includes salaries or the operating and capital budgets combined, the capital budget is construction costs etc, not salaries and can have different revenue sources.
http://www.browardschools.com/press/pdf/budget_facts.pdf (broken link)

Old 05-01-2009, 09:51 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,866,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Well let's not leave the parents out, and our declining society out of that equation as well. Teachers teach what parents bring to us each and every day, and if your best and brightest child is a drug baby, a child neglected, a child molested by his or her parents, a malnourished child, as well as a child who is basically raising him or herself, then that country in decline show nuff falls back on whom?
Very well put. There are probably about 50% of all parents in a given public school that should have never had children. Schools are not able to replace parenting that never happened. A teacher can never replace a child's mother or father.

I have worked in schools that are very political especially in my first two years of teaching. There were teachers that were "buddies" with administration and county officials. Those teachers were allowed to get away with more in the classroom. By that I mean one of these teachers grabbed a kid and nothing was done about it. I am sure that not every school is this political. Yes, there are teachers out there that are contributing to the problem in public schools. Many of them want to do what is best for their students.

Yes teachers are underpaid and do have to work during the summers. If you are single, teaching is your only income. I have worked with teachers that work seven days a week.

Teaching is not the only profession that is underpaid. There are police officers, firefighters, soldiers, paramedics to name a few. A friend of mine went to fight in the Iraq war with the National Guard. She is only going to get 15,000 dollars for a one year tour of duty.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:04 PM

410 posts, read 1,108,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Think back to English class and the lesson on connotation and denotation. The words put up with suggest what in the minds of those reading who are not teachers? A positive experience to be valued and sought out or a negative experience to be avoided and if given a choice not experienced?
Hmmmmmm!

We can sometimes be our own worse PR people as a profession.
"Put up with" were your own words on the previous post. Hence my use of quotations.

Teachers "put up with" all the negative aspects of the profession, most of which have been delved into in this thread, because the internal rewards cannot be matched in any field. To a good teacher, the few students on which they do make a positive, lifelong impact are well worth all the bull that teachers "put up with."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching