Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 10:47 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,102,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
You obviously don't have a clue about teaching. A GOOD teacher should spend their summer studying, improving and learning. A teacher who sits by the pool all summer, in my opinion, is not the kind of teacher I want for my kids. At our school, a private independent school, all our teachers spend their summers researching and learning. They report back at back to school night all the cool things they did over the summer.
When people starting basing their arguments on insulting the other person its safe to ignore them.

Oh yeah, do they report on all the "cool things they did over the summer"?.....I suppose you do not sense the irony in that comment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 06:11 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,565,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
When people starting basing their arguments on insulting the other person its safe to ignore them.

Oh yeah, do they report on all the "cool things they did over the summer"?.....I suppose you do not sense the irony in that comment.
The teachers I know are proud of what they do during the summers and other breaks to prepare for class. I've known several for years and if they're by the pool, you can bet they're reading a book on teaching.

I'm only a first year teacher, but I'm looking forward to having 9 weeks to plan for next year. I was a last minute hire this year so I had little lined up for things like demonstrations and labs. Next year will be very different.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordsmith680 View Post
Today, 06:52 PM
[SIZE=5]sterlinggirl[/SIZE]
friend of CoastalMaine - befriend
2,072 posts, read 717,994 times

With the lack of funds, the temptation for teachers to take on what should be funded is not a good thing to do. If you as a teacher find a way to cover what should be budget items it will never stop. Same with parents being asked to cover things that are basics of a classroom. BTW...I am not a teacher and my kids are grown and gone.
I think you're wrong. With that logic, a lot will not get taught. Sorry but parents really need to pick up the slack here. If you want to make sure your kids have the best educational experience, see what the teacher needs. Who better to police how money is spent in the classroom than the tax payers? Just consider what you donate to your children's classroom direct payment of taxes to support the school.

I wish companies that sell teaching supplies would do teacher wish lists. Instead of sending me candy and trinkets for Christmas, donate a dollar or two towards the things I'd really like to do with your kids but can't afford.

By the way, one of the best gifts I got this year was a pack of printer paper with a couple of colored white board markers tied up in ribbon. Useful, thoughtful and cheap. The parents picked up a box of paper and a couple of packages of dry erase markers and made gifts for all their children's teachers.

Old 05-03-2009, 06:46 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I think you're wrong. With that logic, a lot will not get taught. Sorry but parents really need to pick up the slack here. If you want to make sure your kids have the best educational experience, see what the teacher needs. Who better to police how money is spent in the classroom than the tax payers? Just consider what you donate to your children's classroom direct payment of taxes to support the school.

I wish companies that sell teaching supplies would do teacher wish lists. Instead of sending me candy and trinkets for Christmas, donate a dollar or two towards the things I'd really like to do with your kids but can't afford.

By the way, one of the best gifts I got this year was a pack of printer paper with a couple of colored white board markers tied up in ribbon. Useful, thoughtful and cheap. The parents picked up a box of paper and a couple of packages of dry erase markers and made gifts for all their children's teachers.
As I said before, I agree with the PP in theory. I know it doesn't work that way, OTOH. Let the parents know that's what you'd like for Christmas.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:06 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,927,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Lastly, I would also like to point out that most people in private industry do not get paid to keep their skill set current. For example a programmer is going to have to keep up with new technologies. Nobody is going to pay him for this and he does not get any time off to do it.
When I worked in private industry the company had all sorts of company paid training that was done on company time. We had monthly seminars paid for by the company that were intended to keep us current in our field. They were also able to be used by those of us who were CPAs (not me) and had continuing education requirements. We also had training in computer software,management training, diversity training, all on company time. If employees wanted continuing ed progams that were not offered by the company they had to pay for them themselves, but most were granted on company time.

My husband is a partner in a small firm and they pay for their staff and the attorneys to get some continuing education and training. The firm does not pay for ALL the continuing ed of its employees but it does pay for some of it and grants paid time off for employees to attend.

Many private sector firms include continuing education and training for employees.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
When I worked in private industry the company had all sorts of company paid training that was done on company time. We had monthly seminars paid for by the company that were intended to keep us current in our field. They were also able to be used by those of us who were CPAs (not me) and had continuing education requirements. We also had training in computer software,management training, diversity training, all on company time. If employees wanted continuing ed progams that were not offered by the company they had to pay for them themselves, but most were granted on company time.

My husband is a partner in a small firm and they pay for their staff and the attorneys to get some continuing education and training. The firm does not pay for ALL the continuing ed of its employees but it does pay for some of it and grants paid time off for employees to attend.

Many private sector firms include continuing education and training for employees.
Same here. With the exception of my masters degree, which the company paid for, all of my training was on company time whether it was self taught or at a seminar. What I did on my time, is reading to see what other people were doing in industry and I could have done that on company time too. The company library kept current issues of all the trade magazines and journals and it was acceptable to go to the library and spend the afternoon reading if you didn't have something else to do.

Old 05-03-2009, 08:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,867,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Same here. With the exception of my masters degree, which the company paid for, all of my training was on company time whether it was self taught or at a seminar. What I did on my time, is reading to see what other people were doing in industry and I could have done that on company time too. The company library kept current issues of all the trade magazines and journals and it was acceptable to go to the library and spend the afternoon reading if you didn't have something else to do.
I think it depends a lot on whether you are working for a large company or a small one in regards to getting paid continuing ed, etc. When I worked for hospitals and health departments, we got paid time off and payment of fees to go to seminars, etc. Most of these places have a certain number of days allotted for continuing ed, generally two per year. Some hospitals will pay you to go back to school, but some restrictions are usually involved, e.g. how long you have to work afterwards, giving up your weekends so you can have time off during the week to go to class, etc. Now, working at a dr's office, we have to go on our own time, though usually the fee is paid for.

Old 05-03-2009, 12:43 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,295,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Help me with the math? A student is in school somewhere on average between 7-7 1/2 hours. They are in the house with their parents for more hours. The time spent in school is not 100% instructional if for no other reason than lunch and passing time. The time spent in class is not with one adult for the full time but with multiple adults usually one at a time or possibly two. They share that time with what 15-35 other students. So how much individual or small group interaction are they given with the same adult on a daily basis? Compare that with the worse parenting situation. Why can't parents share values with their kids while they are feeding, bathing and helping them with their homework? You excuse parents from doing this during one on one time with their child but expect a teacher to do it with dozens of other kids while also providing instruction? You appear to excuse dysfunctional parenting on the basis that work is a higher priority and when they get home they have other priorities? Yet you conclude by saying that parents need to be more accountable to their kids in holding schools feet to the fire. How about them holding their feet to the fire and parenting their kids like the millions of successful parents do!
Help me with the math? A student is in school somewhere on average between 7-7 1/2 hours. They are in the house with their parents for more hours.
Now I can see why the kids have problems with math... OK out of the 16 hrs the child is not in school they are going to spend 8-10 of those sleeping, then there is homework 2-3 hrs, 2 meals, 1-2 hrs, bathing, dressing, hygiene, and in the spare time there are doctor/dentist visits, church, sports, household chores, transportation, and if they are really lucky they get a little time to play and be kids.

I excuse no one, my post clearly states that IMO parents in our society do not dedicate enough time to raising their children or to monitoring schools and education. My argument is that schools want it both ways; they want to limit parent’s influence and rights on the one hand, and then shirk all responsibility for the results on the other. The Teachers Unions are the most powerful political lobby in the country and spend hundreds of millions during every election to limit parent’s rights and choices. Public schools have a monopoly on the educational system and the massive amount of tax money that goes to it. Then children come home spouting liberal political positions, and telling parents that if they try to spank them they will call 911 and have them arrested. Parents have practically no say in curriculum or the way schools are run. The schools attitude is that they know better what should be done than the parents. The only way around it is to be rich enough to be able to pay twice to have your child educated and send them to a private school.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:12 PM

239 posts, read 612,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Help me with the math? A student is in school somewhere on average between 7-7 1/2 hours. They are in the house with their parents for more hours.
Now I can see why the kids have problems with math... OK out of the 16 hrs the child is not in school they are going to spend 8-10 of those sleeping, then there is homework 2-3 hrs, 2 meals, 1-2 hrs, bathing, dressing, hygiene, and in the spare time there are doctor/dentist visits, church, sports, household chores, transportation, and if they are really lucky they get a little time to play and be kids.

I excuse no one, my post clearly states that IMO parents in our society do not dedicate enough time to raising their children or to monitoring schools and education. My argument is that schools want it both ways; they want to limit parent’s influence and rights on the one hand, and then shirk all responsibility for the results on the other. The Teachers Unions are the most powerful political lobby in the country and spend hundreds of millions during every election to limit parent’s rights and choices. Public schools have a monopoly on the educational system and the massive amount of tax money that goes to it. Then children come home spouting liberal political positions, and telling parents that if they try to spank them they will call 911 and have them arrested. Parents have practically no say in curriculum or the way schools are run. The schools attitude is that they know better what should be done than the parents. The only way around it is to be rich enough to be able to pay twice to have your child educated and send them to a private school.

I have to disagree. Parents have a lot of input in their children's education and, excepting those that get out of line (and some do), I think that is the way it should be.
Just a few examples in my own experience:
- A parent complained about her child's being assigned to read Macbeth. The presence of witchcraft and the supernatural was offensive to her. I happily gave the student an alternative assignment. Problem solved.
- Another parent was unhappy with his daughter's year-end grade. Over the summer, she had applied to some sort of program that required a certain GPA and was rejected. The following September, I was asked to change the grade and did so. She had failed the final due to an absence. When the parent provided the documentation showing that the absence was, in fact, legal (something parents often forget to do), I was happy to change her grade.
- I caught two students cheating on the final exam. They had identical essays. I called both parents and each asked me if anything could be done to save their daughters' grades. I allowed both students to complete an in-depth research paper over the following weekend and counted that as their final exam grade.

These are just a few examples. Most teachers are happy to listen to and work with parents. We want the kids to succeed and forging a good teacher-parent relationship is very important to ensure that they do.

As for teachers pushing their political agendas, I have no comment. I simply don't see it happen.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:41 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,068,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post

You need help with reading. I wrote IN THE HOUSE WITH THEIR PARENTS FOR JUST THAT REASON. How that time is allocated is different from family to family and how much of it there is varies. Please practice your reading skills as taught. I can't tell you the quality time you spend with your children while they are eating, doing homework etc however all of the activities you describe are parenting moments. I guess we just view family life different. Are you making assumptions what time parents do or don't get home? You seem to be articulating your world and what you are familiar with and if that is your world I am glad we are from a different place. Enjoy yours I love mine,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching