Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 03:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,557,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
No, you must do it at the teacher rate. See, already you're losing!
Hmmm? Shouldn't this be student teaching? So they'd have to PAY for the privlidge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 04:01 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,259,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Teachers get much more than $1,000 for 9 weeks. I'd consider it for whatever the teacher gets paid over 9 weeks.

Of course its not going to happen, so it does not matter. Its just "big talk". Teachers always do it knowing full well it can't happen, ever hear people in other industries say things like this?
Do you have a teaching credential? If not, you should get paid what a student teacher gets paid: nothing! It's a bet and apparently you aren't up to the challenge.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:10 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,733 times
Quote:
the teacher gets paid over 9 weeks.

Of course its not going to happen, so it does not matter. Its just "big talk". Teachers always do it knowing full well it can't happen, ever hear people in other industries say things like this?
Ever hear of a profession getting attacked by people (continuously) who have never done the job before?

Old 05-03-2009, 04:11 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
$43,912 by 22 pays (no summer checks) = $1996/2 weeks gross
minus FICA -$ 150
minus MD Income Tax (.075%) -$ 149
minus State Pension System (6%) -$ 120
minus Federal witholding -$ 250
minus representation fee -$ 35
minus health insurance -$ 125
________
$1167 net/2 weeks
With the exception of the mafia fee, everyone pays these things so there is little point in try to make it seem like teachers make so little by looking at after tax income. Also, the federal withholding is too high (you'd get a good sized return), it would be more like $168 assuming you are single and do not have any major deductions.

And c'mon, you're way over stating MD income tax. The only people that pay 7.5% are non-residents on income over $1 million! MD income tax is not a flat tax its a progressive tax, and like federal they have a number of deductions and exemptions. The tax would be more like $50.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Do you have a teaching credential? If not, you should get paid what a student teacher gets paid: nothing! It's a bet and apparently you aren't up to the challenge.
No credential, but I've done plenty of teaching. So no I should not get paid what a student teacher gets paid. I would rather openly take the Challenge, but its not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
Ever hear of a profession getting attacked by people (continuously) who have never done the job before?
I have been a teacher before, not only that I'm currently involved in education.

But everyone that grew up in this country has extensive experience with the education system. Trying to discount people's views like this is only going to make them reduce your salary.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:20 PM

901 posts, read 2,988,733 times
Quote:
No credential, but I've done plenty of teaching. So no I should not get paid what a student teacher gets paid. I would rather openly take the Challenge, but its not going to happen.

I have been a teacher before, not only that I'm currently involved in education.

But everyone that grew up in this country has extensive experience with the education system. Trying to discount people's views like this is only going to make them reduce your salary.
I didn't discount your view. Also, I'm not worried about you personally lowering my salary.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:21 PM

45,439 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
With the exception of the mafia fee, everyone pays these things so there is little point in try to make it seem like teachers make so little by looking at after tax income. Also, the federal withholding is too high (you'd get a good sized return), it would be more like $168 assuming you are single and do not have any major deductions.

And c'mon, you're way over stating MD income tax. The only people that pay 7.5% are non-residents on income over $1 million! MD income tax is not a flat tax its a progressive tax, and like federal they have a number of deductions and exemptions. The tax would be more like $50.
Maryland Income Tax Information
Maryland Income Tax Information

You would be correct except you forgot the County piggy back income tax rate.

Maryland Income Tax Information - Local Tax Rates

Old 05-03-2009, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes they do. Skills sets change all the time. That's why companies offer training. We don't need to be trained in skills we already have. We need to be trained in new ones.
Again, companies will train you if its directly related to the job they need you to do. That is particular company related skills that people in the outside world are unlikely to have. Company's are much less likely to pay for you to learn general skills, they can just hire someone new that already has them.

But as I said, I'm not talking about the stuff that directly and immediately impacts the company. I'm talking about keeping up your general skill set this is often more involved than talking a few seminars.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You would be correct except you forgot the County piggy back income tax rate.
Nothing I said was incorrect, you'd pay around $50 in state income tax. The local taxes depend where you live and are highly variable. The local rates are not on all income either. The local taxes will add another $8~$25 bucks. So the tax liability is still at least half of what you stated. Also, you have both a pension and FICA taxes listed. Teachers in general do not pay into the social security system. You over stated the "deductions" by a good $300~350.

Regardless, you were overstating both the state/local and federal income tax. But of these apply to everyone anyways. So the exercise is pointless in the first place.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Quote:
If the training is directly related to what the company needs you to do then they will train you. But they rarely train you to keep up your general skill set outside of their direct requirements.
Not true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching