Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Not to derail this thread, but....

[rant] nepotism wouldn't bother me as much if it was privately funded (like a family owned business). But to have a state funded school that is practically ran by a few families who hire their offspring and good friends makes me sick. I would prefer the kids get the best teachers rather than the one's who happened to be born to the right family. [/rant]
Thread derailed.....

Could it be clearly documented, this case of nepotism? In other words, is there sufficient evidence, that if taken to the school board, the issue would look embarrassing to the school district?

I agree with you RE the private versus public issue of nepotism. But public cases can be dealt with if there is documentable evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 09:19 PM

964 posts, read 3,160,456 times
They say teaching requires a lot of patience...

Old 08-25-2009, 09:25 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
I am livid. I blew $640 on tuition and TX state exam fees (just the down payment on the total tuition of $4,000) and three weeks of time to get a math teaching certificate.

I was told that schools are desperate for math teachers. If you want to teach history or English or elementary, your chances are slim, but if you are certified to teach math or science, you will get multiple job offers.

That is a bunch of B.S.!

I applied to every school district in Tarrant County TX (Ft. Worth) and got one job interview and no job offer. The idiots couldn't even be bothered to send me a rejection letter, which is really sad after interviewing with them and being told there's only one other candidate. Kudos to Crowley ISD for sending me a rejection letter and thumbs-down to the rest of District 11 for totally ignoring me.

I got a job offer in the business world in July and I am so glad I didn't turn it down hoping for a teaching job.

Today was the first day of school, so that means it's officially over. If a school calls me because the person they hired walked out, I will tell them "you had your chance, now you have to live with it, bu-bye".

From now on, when I am presented with an option to vote for a tax increase for more money for public schools, I am voting NO. These idiots are full of crap and there is no reason for us taxpayers to throw good money after bad.

I was advised that I would have better chances at a job if I applied to a rural school district for $28,000 a year. Yeah, I'm going to move away from my family to earn peanuts teaching a bunch of hicks.

In the business world, I make the same amount of money that first-year math teachers in the Dallas/Ft Worth metroplex make -- 50 big ones.

Obviously the teacher salaries are too high if they are getting way more applicants than positions. But if the schools cut teacher's pay, the teachers would arrive to school with torches and pitchforks.

If schools were privatized we would not have this problem. As long as schools are government-run, the taxpayers will be taking it in the shorts and the children will suffer because of the schools' ineptitude.

Enough is enough!

P.S. Don't tell me it's because I'm too picky. My mother has a Texas teaching certificate in math and refuses to teach because she doesn't like anyone who isn't white. She would get priority over anyone (like myself) who doesn't have any experience in the classroom. I spent a week at Trimble Tech High School in Ft. Worth, which is something like 90% non-white, a place my witch mother wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. I had a wonderful time and was able to connect with the students and help them learn some Algebra I and Algebra II. I actually shed a tear when the week was over because those students needed me (they said 'please come back next week'), and I desperately wanted to help them avoid dropping out and selling drugs, which is their only realistic choice if they don't graduate.
Since you really like working with minority children, moved to Compton CA. They could surely use a great math teacher such as yourself. I am sure your mom would have a hissy over it.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:28 PM

426 posts, read 1,087,209 times
Was applying in the city of Dallas, Richardson, Plano, Frisco, Carrollton, and other cities in the metroplex area out of the question? In the county you applied in, how many schools did you apply at? Did you apply at middle and high, or just high or what?

Old 08-25-2009, 10:04 PM
JS1 JS1 started this thread

1,896 posts, read 6,768,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedely View Post
Was applying in the city of Dallas, Richardson, Plano, Frisco, Carrollton, and other cities in the metroplex area out of the question? In the county you applied in, how many schools did you apply at? Did you apply at middle and high, or just high or what?
Every school district in Tarrant County, middle or high school. I lived in Benbrook at the time (SW side of Ft Worth) and didn't think it was necessary to apply to Dallas and Collin County schools.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
hmmmm.. applied in ONE county in ONE state.

Doesn't sound like you really wanted to teach, anyway.
Tarrant County has a population of 1.75 million people! If I can't find a job teaching math in Tarrant County, it means the job market for entry-level teachers doesn't exist.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Quitter.
Kinda hard to quit from a job I don't have

Old 08-25-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charz View Post
I'm sorry you didn't find a job in the one district you applied for. There are plenty of jobs out there. If education isn't for you, fine--that doesn't mean that it isn't for other people. I didn't find a job when I first graduated either. I subbed at 2 different school districts and made as many contacts as I could. It paid off. I have switched jobs several times since and never had trouble getting another job. It is difficult to get your "foot in the door". If you really wanted to teach, you wouldn't have given up so easily.
My mistake, I meant to say Region 11, which contains a lot of school districts. Some districts do not participate in the Region 11 job bank, so for those (such as Arlington) I applied on-line on their web site.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
Since you really like working with minority children, moved to Compton CA. They could surely use a great math teacher such as yourself. I am sure your mom would have a hissy over it.
That's quite a commute to family. If I didn't want to move to BFE Texas, I'm certainly not moving to L.A.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:19 PM

2,195 posts, read 3,640,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
Kinda hard to quit from a job I don't have
Evidently my original response, which said, merely, "Not really," was difficult to understand. Please allow me to clarify.

If one is engaged in a task and has a plan, but a few months into that plan, one ceases pursuing it, then even though the individual in question has not actually been gainfully employed, the label "quitter" can still be applied to the individual.

Of course, it is easier to apply it from the outside, without knowing all the circumstances behind the decision, but one comes to one's conclusions based on the available information.

On the other hand, for one to blame an entire industry for one's inability to get a job during an economic downturn would seem to be less than rational.

Quote:
If I can't find a job teaching math in Tarrant County, it means the job market for entry-level teachers doesn't exist.
Self-confidence is a positive feature. However, there is a difference between "the job market for entry-level teachers doesn't exist" and "a large enough job market for this entry-level teachers doesn't exist."

Quote:
I applied to every school district in Tarrant County TX (Ft. Worth) and got one job interview and no job offer
In which case, perhaps your resume did not tell prospective employers what they wanted to hear. Or, perhaps you are right and there are no positions for somebody with your background anywhere in the county - in which case, it is not so much the glut of applications, but the lack of positions and poor economy.

Last edited by jps-teacher; 08-25-2009 at 11:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching