Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 05:40 AM

48 posts, read 92,144 times

Advertisements

Hi, I have been teaching now for 11 years. I have a BA in Exercise and Sport Science. I taught PE and coached in my hometown for 9 years. I was reassigned three years ago to the classroom. We were short of highly qualified teachers in our district. other factors as well. I have been teaching 7th grade history and alternative education the past 2 years. I'm really thinking of going into physical therapy and or getting a MBA and getting out of education. The cost of living seems to keep rising. I'm single and live alone. However, I plan on getting married one day, but not sure I could support a family on a teachers salary. However, education seems to keep changing so much. Sports seem to be gradually being pushed out of the system. You are going to say WHAT! Yes, I mean, from what I see sports are being pushed out of the system.

Moving on

Question:

1. What careers do alot of teachers pursue outside of education? Are there careers that do lend some bleed over to a teachers skills?

2. My degree is Exercise and Sport Science. I could built on that and go into physical therapy. I think there will be a need for this in the future.

3. How about a MBA? Will that open some doors?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 07:18 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times
I ironically am someone trying to go from the business world (and I have an MBA) into teaching, but I think I can give you insight on #3 above.

In my view, where an MBA works is if you get it from a "top" school (which in most cases means going full-time, but a few places, like NYU in NY City, have top notch part-time options) and then you have to network your way to a high position that involves a lot of work/hours but pays quite well. Or, you can get one in accounting and try to get a hi-end corporate accounting job, it's one of the few areas that I think are really hiring outside of health care and (though to a lesser degree than the news makes it out to be) education. Good luck!

Old 09-29-2009, 08:57 AM

48 posts, read 92,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I ironically am someone trying to go from the business world (and I have an MBA) into teaching, but I think I can give you insight on #3 above.

In my view, where an MBA works is if you get it from a "top" school (which in most cases means going full-time, but a few places, like NYU in NY City, have top notch part-time options) and then you have to network your way to a high position that involves a lot of work/hours but pays quite well. Or, you can get one in accounting and try to get a hi-end corporate accounting job, it's one of the few areas that I think are really hiring outside of health care and (though to a lesser degree than the news makes it out to be) education. Good luck!
Curious, why are you looking at going into education?

Question: Would a direct specific MBA help? For example: Some of these programs get very specific, like say one in sports buisness.

Education is going through alot of cuts, depends on the district and state. Many districts are only handing out yearly contracts now, they are very selective about handing out professional contracts after 3 years of service. I guess this theory would be more like a business. One of the draws of teaching was the security of a yearly job. With that being gone for alot teachers, alot are moving on into other careers. Lots of factors are coming into play, depends on the district. Another reason for veteran teachers moving on is less creative lessons on their behalf and or micromanaging of lesson plans.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:46 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,096,787 times
Many areas are in great need for physical and occupational therapists, and the pay is pretty good. So if that's what you are interested in, I think that would be a great fit for a teacher, especially (but not necessarily) if you wanted to do therapy with kids.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:05 PM

1,741 posts, read 4,576,837 times
RE question #1.... seems like most former educators I have seen sell insurance.

Beyond that, I don't know. I would also like to get out of education myself, however with a Masters in Education, my options are pretty limited.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:57 PM
Ohs

236 posts, read 712,850 times
Yeah I still don't know the answer to that question. I would like to leave education, but don't know what to go into. I was thinking of trying to become a college career counselor, but colleges are getting hit hard by the economy too and are already pretty competitive from what I gather. Not sure I want to owe more money on my student loans for something that may or may not be something I want to do and have little opportunity to do.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida32 View Post
Hi, I have been teaching now for 11 years. I have a BA in Exercise and Sport Science. I taught PE and coached in my hometown for 9 years. I was reassigned three years ago to the classroom. We were short of highly qualified teachers in our district. other factors as well. I have been teaching 7th grade history and alternative education the past 2 years. I'm really thinking of going into physical therapy and or getting a MBA and getting out of education. The cost of living seems to keep rising. I'm single and live alone. However, I plan on getting married one day, but not sure I could support a family on a teachers salary. However, education seems to keep changing so much. Sports seem to be gradually being pushed out of the system. You are going to say WHAT! Yes, I mean, from what I see sports are being pushed out of the system.

Moving on

Question:

1. What careers do alot of teachers pursue outside of education? Are there careers that do lend some bleed over to a teachers skills?

2. My degree is Exercise and Sport Science. I could built on that and go into physical therapy. I think there will be a need for this in the future.

Thanks
Why not look at a career where a part of the job involves both exercise/sports and instruction/presentation? Have you looked into working for some sports equipment company where you would have to go on the road and teach/promote/present the products?

Old 10-01-2009, 02:28 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,131 times
Quote:

Question: Would a direct specific MBA help? For example: Some of these programs get very specific, like say one in sports buisness.
In general I find these specialty MBAs to be gimmicks. They are just a way to help a school differentiate itself with the thousands of other MBA programs out there.

An MBA is a general business degree where you take core classes in a variety of subjects like Finance, Econ., Accounting, Management, and Marketing. Your ability to take a lot of classes in a particular specialty is very limited, so employers really just care about the strength of the overall school.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:31 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times
Quote:
Curious, why are you looking at going into education?

Education is going through alot of cuts, depends on the district and state. Many districts are only handing out yearly contracts now, they are very selective about handing out professional contracts after 3 years of service. I guess this theory would be more like a business. One of the draws of teaching was the security of a yearly job. With that being gone for alot teachers, alot are moving on into other careers. Lots of factors are coming into play, depends on the district. Another reason for veteran teachers moving on is less creative lessons on their behalf and or micromanaging of lesson plans.
It was mainly because of the security and benefits (not the money obviously), especially since I was going for one of the so-called "shortage" areas. Had a nice run for almost 2 decades with a single company doing a very specific kind of mixed marketing analysis/IT function that somewhat doesn't carry over elsewhere easily (and was my downfall because it's "obsolete" now), so I figured (before the economy cratered and all the cuts) that I could transition into it somewhat easily and while not as "easy" as some make it to be, something I could do for the 2nd half of my career. And it was a pretty small company (and my MBA was not from one of those "top" schools I was talking about) so while it would still be a salary drop, it wouldn't be like it was cut in half or more and be a huge difference (in fact the health and other benefits probably would've made it almost "even").

But we'll see.....my son's excellent 2nd grade teacher was let go for "budget" reasons a year before being up for tenure so I hear you (she did get another job though). In terms of other teachers being fed up and looking for other careers, good luck, it ain't easy out there.

Ironically, I know a lot of laid-off Wall Streeters with MBAs looking to become middle and high school math teachers now. Not noting that for any particular reason, just kind of a funny "trade" of sorts, teachers going for MBAs, businesspeople into teaching......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieChick1972 View Post
RE question #1.... seems like most former educators I have seen sell insurance.
I have a good friend who owned an insurance brokerage and quite a few sales people he hired the last 2 or 3 years he ran it were former educators (more ironic because he sold the business and went into teaching......before anyone asks his reason was security and benefits and he was tired of running a small business (did it for about 10-15 years and is in his mid-40s). To each his own I guess.....he ended up getting a teaching job networking through some of the salespeople he hired.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:17 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,551,149 times
Quote:

Moving on

Question:

Thanks
I haven't read the rest of the posts so forgive me if this has already been said, but have you considered becomming a life coach? That would use all of your skills. You'd help people with physical training and coach them on improving their lives at the same time.

I had a life coach when I was in engineering. I can't afford him now. Sessions were a combination of physical training and self improvement. Teachers are good at pep talks. Your backgound in sports would fit well with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching