Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:57 AM

2,702 posts, read 6,030,437 times

Advertisements

Which would you recommend for a soon-to-be college grad? I'm graduating in May 2010 & I am thinking of applying for Teach for America. I have worked with at-risk children before & am not intimidated by it, yet at the same time, I realize that these are very low-funded schools & that it is very difficult to get on your own two feet, especially w/out the necessary Education background needed.

On the other hand, I am wanting to get certified to teach 4-8 English &/or Social Studies & I would have to go through my state's ACP to do that.

Which do you think would be a better, more stable choice for someone who is just getting their feet wet into teaching?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:59 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Neither. There isn't a market for teachers right now. I'd recommend finding something else until there is a market. I know countless teachers who are fully certified and can only find sub positions. I know of countless districts who have so many potential subs on the roster, they have closed applications. Unless you know you have a job at the end of the tunnel, think long and hard on this one.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:19 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,370,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Neither. There isn't a market for teachers right now. I'd recommend finding something else until there is a market. I know countless teachers who are fully certified and can only find sub positions. I know of countless districts who have so many potential subs on the roster, they have closed applications. Unless you know you have a job at the end of the tunnel, think long and hard on this one.
I believe Teach for America places you into a full time job. I know someone that started it last year. You are sent to whatever location needs teachers (usually inner city). He was given living quarters and lives with other teachers in the same program.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:58 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Teach for America's acceptance rate is RIDICULOUSLY low right now. I got cut in the first round and I've really geared much of my college life to acceptance and worked on my application for months. I don't know anyone who made it through the first round this year- and that's including those of us who are bilingual (I had hoped to teach bilingual ed in Texas), tons of volunteering time in urban and rural poor school districts, people who had done Americorps summer tutoring, and other highly qualified people. If you are a math or science person, you stand more of a shot. This isn't meant to discourage you, just keep in mind that the acceptance rate this year is probably around 8%.

This year TFA cut their NYC and LA placements entirely, which were huge zones. Not to mention with the recession, many more people are applying for TFA than ever before.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:04 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,567,892 times
The good part is once you're in..that's pretty much it. It's a *very* stable career to have.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:40 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
This year TFA cut their NYC and LA placements entirely, which were huge zones. Not to mention with the recession, many more people are applying for TFA than ever before.
My daughter has four or five TFA people in her NYC school. I agree that it's a much more competitive job opportunity then it was a couple of years ago. The TFA people at her school are from Yale and Columbia.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My daughter has four or five TFA people in her NYC school. I agree that it's a much more competitive job opportunity then it was a couple of years ago. The TFA people at her school are from Yale and Columbia.
And she won't have any new people next year. When I say cut, I mean they won't accept new people and are ending the program there indefinitely, not that they are kicking out the people already there.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,521,087 times
wasn't there some deadline for TFA last night at midnight?

Old 10-29-2009, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
wasn't there some deadline for TFA last night at midnight?
There are several due dates which determine the schedule of your interviews. There is one more date in Jan or Feb, I think.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:31 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times
One thing to consider is that there are a ton of highly qualified certified teachers who are looking for jobs (including myself). That doesn't mean that TFA is not needed, because it is; I am not going to teach in a poor, inner-city school. But what it does mean is that you are guaranteed to be put in a really bad situation when you do get placed with TFA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching