Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:43 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,360,632 times

Advertisements

Just to clarify, when I said "let go because of seniority," I meant that the teachers with less seniority were laid off. I think some of you took that the opposite way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 08:52 AM

313 posts, read 1,053,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Just to clarify, when I said "let go because of seniority," I meant that the teachers with less seniority were laid off. I think some of you took that the opposite way.
Thanks for the clarification. However, layoffs to me imply that the people currently on payroll can't be afforded any longer. IMO it's unfair that they are going to lay off teachers and then replace them with TFA teachers, when many TFA teachers leave the classroom after two years. That city is setting itself up for long term problems as people will not want to commit to teaching there. I assume the city thinks it will save in the long run because the TFA people will not be around long enough to get pensions but ultimately it's a bad idea.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 5,701 times
Default TFA and Administrators

Administrators are tripping over each other while class sizes are 40-50. We want teachers to work with our child, not supervisors that don't work with children! TFA allows more money to put into the big buck people. If you want progress, hire qualified teachers, not people that can't pay off their loans with a job they are NOT qualified for. Teachers should be treated the same. Improvement in the classroom means support in the classroom.....with teachers and classroom supplies. And where are the computers?

We are the only country in the world that educate everyone and count all students when comparing us to other countries. We can improve our schools but we need to put the money in the classrooms and with REAL teachers.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
Thanks for the clarification. However, layoffs to me imply that the people currently on payroll can't be afforded any longer. IMO it's unfair that they are going to lay off teachers and then replace them with TFA teachers, when many TFA teachers leave the classroom after two years. That city is setting itself up for long term problems as people will not want to commit to teaching there. I assume the city thinks it will save in the long run because the TFA people will not be around long enough to get pensions but ultimately it's a bad idea.

It's a joke and no wonder no one wants to teach when the loyalty isn't there. What is wrong with education? TFA teachers are rewarded for being cheap and giving priority with a silver spoon. This is not who I want teaching my child!

Old 10-28-2010, 06:59 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Where in the US are class sizes at 40-50?? Who are the "big buck" people? I'm not sure if you are for TFA or not. Most graduates have loans, whether they majored in education or something else....

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:00 AM

Default Freedoms

Teachers are not allowed to speak out in the media. TPS rule I was told! What a crock when we can't even have freedom to know what those with our children are saying. TPS thinks they might say the right thing or do they think our teachers are too stupid? It's just not right.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:20 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
TPS? This is a national forum. Is TPS Tulsa Public Schools? I still don't understand your post.
What does this mean?
Quote:
What a crock when we can't even have freedom to know what those with our children are saying.
Are you saying that because the teachers cannot talk to the media that you don't know their side of the story?

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:51 AM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokemaster View Post
After all, the standard certified elementary teacher has taken one Math class; Math For Elementary Teachers.
For my elem. ed. degree I had to complete three math classes that were geared for teaching elementary students. Plus, I had to take the usual college math courses, like trig and pre-cal. If there's actually a teaching program out there that requires just one math course to be taken, that's a crying shame.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:09 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,601,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
It really doesn't matter what university you go to, if you aren't trained to be a teacher, you probably aren't going to be better than the average certified teacher. I wouldn't want a lawyer from Harvard as my doctor, ya know?

The requirement for TFA is to have a bachelor's degree and a 2.5 GPA. I would imagine that 95% of people with a bachelor's degree has a 2.5 GPA.
FYI, many education programs require much higher GPAs just to be admitted in as an education major. My college required a 3.2 or higher, in my specialty area, we were required to have a 3.4 or above.

I absolutely agree with your first paragraph. Teaching programs teach the future teachers how to teach, how to break down reading/math/music/science down so that students can learn. How to differentiate instruction, etc...

Old 10-30-2010, 01:02 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
What kinds of loans does the TFA gig pay off? Only federal loans or will the government also pay off private student loans? Is there any other compensation for TFA teachers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching