Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 01:36 PM

144 posts, read 460,912 times

Advertisements

Let me preface this by saying that this thread is meant as a venting thread by an inner-city teacher and is meant for other teachers.

Does anyone else on here allow open-note/book quizzes/tests and then have students ask, "Where can we find .....?" Are they kidding me? Oh, and then when I refuse to tell them, I hear, "You're mean, you drawlin', why you irkin'?"Because though I understand you may need some help I don't believe I need to do everything for you.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 01:46 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Do you think you are educating by giving open book quizzes?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 PM

1,887 posts, read 3,111,603 times
I work as a resource teacher with the general education teachers. This teacher I am working with allows EVERY SINGLE test and quiz to be open-book, open note. I DESPISE it! Terrible idea.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Your exclamation reminds me of Charlie Brown when Lucy pulls the football away. LOL All I can say is find a private school or an upper middle class school where the diversity matches that of the U.S. overall. Otherwise things are not going to change.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:06 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I know you directed your OP to teachers, but,as a parent, I would not be happy if my kids were given open book tests/quizzes. That sounds like homework. You need to expect more of your students, regardless of their backgrounds.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:08 PM

605 posts, read 2,160,579 times
I can tell you that I gave an open-note quiz at an affluent suburban school, and it was a similar disaster. Before I started teaching the unit, I announced the open-note quiz. I also, at several points, told my students that i was not testing their knowledge so much as their note-taking and organizational skills. I collected students' notes throughout the unit and then addressed misconceptions I found in their notes in the following day's lesson. I did not, however, mark corrections on the notes; that was the students' responsibility as I re-taught material.

The quiz average for my open-note assessment was 10 points lower than closed-note quizzes. I also asked students to attach their notes to the quiz when they turned it in. Though I had three times listed the materials (in written and spoken instructions) that students could use to take the quiz as well as the topics that would be covered, most students did not bring in notes about one of the first subjects we studied during the unit.

I used to cringe when teachers did "binder checks" to see that all of our notes and handouts were in order. I now see that this might not be an inappropriate strategy even in secondary education. I think that students need a lot of scaffolding to figure out what it takes to organize information. Many students also need worksheets and graphic organizers to show them how to take notes in the first place. They then need to be allowed to fail open-note quizzes to see the consequences of not keeping their materials in order/not taking notes.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:24 PM

2,969 posts, read 6,944,844 times
As a former resource room/study skills teacher (and now a dance and p.e. teacher!) at the high school level, I agree with the above poster.......high schoolers today have no concept of organization, how to take notes, how to discern important papers from non-essential information, etc.

Students can definitely benefit from learning these skills and I still teach them as often as I can, even in Dance and P.E.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I didn't see where the OP was also allowing students to use their notes for the quizzes. I do see the sense in that, as note taking is an important skill to learn. I don't, however, see the sense in holding open book tests.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:37 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
Our open book tests were usually timed and the majority of the test questions weren't located in the book. So it wasn't easy as one might presume.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:53 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
In an ideal world, open-book tests would not exist. However, I think that it is important to keep in mind that the OP is an inner-city teacher. If you have never taught inner-city students, you have absolutely no right to criticize. Unfortunately, teachers need to be realistic wrt the capabilities of their students, for whom curriculum and tests et al. must often be modified/tailored. I'm not defending it; it flippin' sucks and is severely disheartening. I hate open-book tests just as much as the nest teacher, but it is a reality for many teachers who do not have students from privileged backgrounds.

To the OP: I feel your pain. It sounds as if going over basic study skills (again) might be necessary. I know it seems like a given but, unfortunately, most of these students must be shown how to do *everything*; all of the testing that public schools emphasize does not exactly encourage independence and self-reliance. Yes, it is extremely frustrating but you are making a difference with students that others give up or burn out on. And no, you're not mean: mean means you're making them work, which is a good thing. Whether they are actually learning is another matter entirely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching