Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:42 AM

366 posts, read 493,672 times

Advertisements

All: the standard query, we are thinking of moving to Tennessee and we are looking for the following type of community.

1) 1:00 hour to 1:15 from a major airport
2) We do not value diversity and wish to reside in a homogeneous English speaking community
3) Strongly conservative community as in a low percentage of Democrats or liberals
4) People who are friendly but mind their own business and keep to themselves
5) We do not value public services beyond sanitation, road repair, water, fire protection, police or sheriff – libraries are nice especially if the opt in is voluntary (I lived in a community of 1200 once that had a very nice voluntary library)
6) Rustic setting, we like water views, hills, or farm settings – we are nature lovers
7) We could not care less about what religion people practice or do not practice
8) Low crime
9) Low property taxes
10) Adequate water supplies(we are avid gardeners, orchards etc) and a municipality or county that is fiscally sound
11) Schools are unimportant to us

In summary we come from an area of the country where the neighbors use their vote to steal our just earnings, constantly butt into our private affairs using the coercive force of Government to annoy us and we are being unjustly taxed to support the chosen lifestyle of our neighbors. We despise these type of people and just want to left alone so we are looking to relocate else where.

I have my own business and travel each week so the major airport proximity is very important but because I only have to travel to and from the airport on Monday and Friday the hourish commute is no big deal.

And I have read this forum on and off for some time. And I note many people want to move away from where they are to Tennessee looking for low prices, better climate and lower taxes and the complain that is not like where they are from. We despise where we live (Aurora-Naperville IL), despise the people and what passes for culture and are just looking for a place where people can live their life as they see fit without a bunch of busybodies chiming in and trying to force their agenda and lifestyle choices on others. Just trying to be honest here. I figure the less Government, the less people, the more freedom.

Last edited by usagisan; 07-23-2010 at 10:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM

Additional info: I should add, I spent a lot of time in Arkansas and loved the people and the ways of folks there. It is just the state income tax is a killer and the state is far too Democratic for my taste.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:37 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
It sounds like you should look to towns just east of Nashville. The Nashville airport is a major airport; Knoxville and Chattanooga, unfortunately, do not have major airports. Go as far east as Cookeville which is just a smidgen more than an hour east of BNA, interstate driving all the way. You might also want to check out Lebanon although areas around Cookeville have more mountainous views, and the schools in Cookeville are better.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-23-2010, 11:27 PM

70 posts, read 174,189 times
Default usagisan

Amen. The wife and I live on the left coast and will be moving to Cookeville around October after a four year wait. I am with you with the majority of your list and as JMT stated, Cookeville could be your place. Just remember, when you move away from something you don't like, when you get to the new place, don't start talking about how certain things were done better in your old location and try to change things. There might be small irritations (like wanting something done quickly and it takes an extra day or two). We are leaving Southern California for all the reasons you stated and several years ago, we fell in love with the absolute civility and courtesy displayed by the people in Tennessee. Good luck in your escape

Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,347,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usagisan View Post
Additional info: I should add, I spent a lot of time in Arkansas and loved the people and the ways of folks there. It is just the state income tax is a killer and the state is far too Democratic for my taste.
i would look into fayette county, tn. several communities that meet your criteria. arlington is in shelby county, but it is 35 to 40 minutes from memphis international, a huge airport and a great one which is getting even better. arlington is about 10-12 thousand currently, lots of rolling hills, farmland, and gardening opportunities. housing in that area is fairly high for tn, around 300-350 thousand for newer construction. samll town center. but easy access to I-40 and the soon to be completed I-22. oakland, tn is in fayette county, basically republican, rural, farmland, old growth trees, lots of vegetation, and upper to high income single home dwellers. about 45 minutes from memphis international. both of these areas fall w/in smart growth districts, and at least one, oakland, is in the wolf river protected enviornment area. good deal of horse ranching. truck patch farming, and cattle farms around the area. i would probably stay away from the piperton/rossville area, due to rapid growth area, large commercial and industrial development complexes ongoing, and the former owner of the direct insurance company, who sold it for an amount in excess of 600 mil, is building a huge housing development complex in that southwest area. the state line runs on that side of the county, which, after crossing, puts you into ms, which has a large democratic base, is attracting a good deal of new industry, and has jumped by about 9.7% in residential growth in the last 3 years. it does offer a good deal of farmland, it is located in the ms hill country, and it is about 35-40 minutes to memphis international. ms has a state income tax, also, which i don't think you want.

best of luck on your move, wherever you choose. welcome to tn.

Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 AM

Default thank you for the replies

I want to thank all whom participated for their commentary. I have been spending a great deal of time at realtor.com and following up on the leads.

If anyone else has other ideas they would also be appreciated.

And to SKYSEA there is no danger that I will start speaking whistfully about our current surroundings. Northern IL is a place you escape from not something one aspires to.

Kindest regards...

Old 07-28-2010, 12:32 AM

185 posts, read 399,957 times
SKYSEA, I feel your pain Southern California. Moving back to my small little town in Southern Illinois soon, can't wait.

usdagisan, from the reasons you listed you would be the perfect neighbor. Check out Cookeville, TN like others have mentioned. It has some great country and great people. It's got a nice traditional American feel there. I realise you said TN, but for some reason if you're not confined to that area I would check out Southern MO or Southern IL. It has everything you've mentioned and both are within an hour or two to the St. Louis airport.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimebanjo
but for some reason if you're not confined to that area I would check out Southern MO or Southern IL. It has everything you've mentioned and both are within an hour or two to the St. Louis airport.
I agree that the country is beautiful in Southern IL and Southern MO but that 6% income tax in MO is high and property taxes are not low there either.

As for IL, not only is the Governor saying he will raise the income tax to 5% but the States finances are either the 1st or 2nd worst in the nation, and depending on how you add it up each person in the state (not family) is somewhere between 19-46K in debt. The State is bankrupt and living on borrowed time. The Democrats and weak Republicans have destroyed the state. I truly think IL is a cesspool and I say that having lived here for 47 years.

We only stayed in IL to take care of our parents, I buried my mother last year and my little woman's mother is in her decline and in her mid 80s so realistically we should have fulfilled our obligations and be abl eto pull out before we doom our children into thinking they need to stay to take care of us in our old age.

I can't say it strongly enough, think twice before you move to IL unless you are some sort of parasitic liberal degenerate or an illegal alien who wants to prey on the efforts of others and use the coercive force of Government to deprive honest men of the just fruits of their labor. The State of Illinois robs the honest man.

All the best...

Old 07-29-2010, 09:38 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
Usagisan,

My wife and I will be retiring in Tennessee for many of the same reasons your stated. We purchased a 4 acre lot in a development in Monterey, TN (between Cookeville and Crossville). We really like the area, the slower paced way of life, the people, and the lower cost of living. We can't wait to retire! Good luck in finding that special place.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 PM

Gang:

I have an additional question about a couple of areas I have been looking at as a result of the leads in this forum. We will be probably doing an exploratory trip this fall so I am trying to target some areas to visit. Now I understand both these areas are far apart but when you are talking of jumping states the distance is insignificant. That being stated does anyone have any idea how good the soil is around Cookeville or around Oakland? I am an avid grower and as I move more to retiremnet I expect to do even more. But I learned long ago not to fight bad soil.

Most pleasant regards...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee