Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 09:27 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,838 times

Advertisements

How did most of you go about doing it? Most people I imagine will say "I just applied". But I have heard a couple stories that most employers will not even look at a resume from out of state.

One guy that was moving to FL from UT(dont ask me why) and he had no responses from employers. Finally he put the address of a friend in the area and the next day he had responses like crazy.

Just curious how other people went about finding a job in TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 07:52 PM

98 posts, read 388,735 times
Its so much easier finding alot more stable, higher paying jobs in Georgia. Tennessee wont really hire out of staters that send a resumes. I dont know why, maybe they arent bright enough to read through the resumes. LOL..The Job I'm employed at in Carrollton GA hired three people from up North.. two of them were from NY state and another from PA. They both mailed there resumes and cover letters and got responses rather quickly.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:39 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
When we moved here, my now ex husband sent a resume from out of state and then was invited for an interview, we came up he did the interview, we looked around, went back to FL. A week later they called and said he had the job and they paid some of the moving expenses. It was an average blue color job.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:46 PM

Iam sure it is easier in GA but no way am I going to subject myself to GA traffic. That makes Miami traffic look light. Some things you cant put a price tag on.

You might be right not hiring out of staters.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:52 PM

3,631 posts, read 10,236,486 times
I just moved to Chicago from Tennessee, and I had a lot of places flat out tell me that they wanted to make sure i was coming up here before they even interviewed me. The job i ended up getting, I had to come up here for an extra apartment searching trip and I met with my now-boss and she liked me enough to hire me. She was warmer to the idea once i told her that i definitely had a place to live, though. I guess it does depend on the employer, and maybe you making a little extra effort if it's in your budget.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:55 PM

Well having taken part in the interview process a couple of times I remember us not considering people from out of town because we thought they would want relocation and we were not prepared to offer that.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:13 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
I think it comes down to your skills, education and experience. We were just up there 2 weeks ago and my husband stopped in a Cadillac dealer just to see how busy they were as he is an auto technician. My husband talked to the service manager who has been there for 32 years. Manager said he could have a job whenever he's ready. It helped that my husband has his Cadillac Master ASE's and those people are very hard to find and some dealerships require a Master Tech to be on board. Of course my husband said we're not ready to move yet so the manager said when we're ready, he has a job waiting for him whether they have the room or not, the manager said he'll make room for him but did tell my husband to be sure to email him the resume for his files. It was kind of a relief in a way. he also has his Toyota Master but the Manager at Toyota was very busy when he stopped in and didn't have a chance to talk to him so hopefully having his Masters will make things a little easier for him to get a job. I'll be carrying my home job with me when we move so hopefully we'll be off to a good start whne we finally get there.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
Iam sure it is easier in GA but no way am I going to subject myself to GA traffic. That makes Miami traffic look light. Some things you cant put a price tag on.

You might be right not hiring out of staters.
Well it all depends on what type of lifestyle folks live. Sure, theres alot of traffic in the Metro Atlanta area.. I'm 40 miles west of ATL and Its getting worse each day.
If you're a retiree, Georgia can still be a good choice, if you dont want go out and drive in it each day, but if your younger and ambitious in your 30's or even early 40's looking to better your career, Georgia has a ton of more career oppurtunities to offer then TN.
I spent a while in Athens TN... I was lucky to find a job there.. knowing a few people helped. But I think that area likes to stick to it's own kind and is afraid of outside growth. Cant blame them in a way... it cuts down on crime and over-population.

Old 07-14-2007, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves_fan View Post
Well it all depends on what type of lifestyle folks live. Sure, theres alot of traffic in the Metro Atlanta area.. I'm 40 miles west of ATL and Its getting worse each day.
If you're a retiree, Georgia can still be a good choice, if you dont want go out and drive in it each day, but if your younger and ambitious in your 30's or even early 40's looking to better your career, Georgia has a ton of more career oppurtunities to offer then TN.
I spent a while in Athens TN... I was lucky to find a job there.. knowing a few people helped. But I think that area likes to stick to it's own kind and is afraid of outside growth. Cant blame them in a way... it cuts down on crime and over-population.
How far is your commute and how long?

Right now in south florida I commute approx 20 miles and it takes about 40 mins during the summer an hour when school is in. The funny thing is the interstate is the best part of the drive. it is getting downtown and getting to my house that takes the most time.

In the end I am not totally closed to GA if that is where I find a job but it will not be my first choice. Hopefully my own business keeps growing then I could go whereever I want.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:19 PM

Oh I dont have to go more then 25 miles to work.. and I dont even get on I-20 thank god..
I'm just saying in general.. it's a pain in the rear to fight traffic down here, as it is in Fla as well.
But ya'll watch TN will be something similar in 10 years at this rate.. folks should open more businesses and industries there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
View detailed profiles of: