Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 AM

255 posts, read 757,430 times

Advertisements

Greetings all!

I have been all over this board for the past few years trying to find where to relocate and have yet to find the best place for our family. I am hoping to rectify this problem before our visit this March. We are needing to start looking into property/house when we come this time and I have no idea where we are going

I fell in love with Tennessee about 6 years ago when we took our first vacation, it has everything we are looking for in a new "home". My husband and kids are very much into fishing, camping, horses, any type of outdoor activity imaginable as well as martial arts, basketball...anything boy related basically. My daughter is into ballet, music, art, being outdoors, horses and such girly things. We have been to Chattanooga, Knoxville, Tri-Cities, Jasper/Whitwell areas and have looked briefly into Cooksville, Nashville, Hendersonville areas...and as beautiful as the areas were I have concerns about living.

The East of Tennessee is breathtakingly beautiful and we loved it so much, however, we have medical concerns with our children and would rather be close to an excellent hospital and hopefully in an area that the air/water quality are above par. As far as Nashville area, we have yet to visit and may spend a few days there if any suggestions come up on areas to visit that may fit our criteria. Basically we are WIDE open to ANY area of Tennessee at this point because being close minded about any particular areas could cause us more delay and we could miss out on the perfect spot because of our ignorance.

Schools are very important to us but as long as they are not failing or close to it I believe the kids can thrive. Extracuricular activities are key to keeping kids out of trouble and would love to find an area that offers things like bowling, roller skating, movies, church groups for teens etc...

We are forutnate enough that jobs will not be an issue for us but this does not mean we want a depressed or majority retired area. We had a suggestion on Paris, Tennessee and may look into it if anyone has an opinion they can share about the area.

I know I have posted similar posts in the past but because I was helped so much I had to try again...we want to make the best move once, not just jump into an area unprepared and dissatisfied then looking again.

So a list of important factors in our new area would be:
1) Good schools
2) Outdoor activities
3) Good air/water quality
4) safe
5) family friendly activities
6) good medical
7) mild climate (not too much snow)

I don't think I left anything out and I appologize for the lengthy post but I am hoping someone can give opinions on areas we can check out as our time is running out and I have to find a place soon. Thanks for your patience and help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:00 AM

76 posts, read 151,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia_magination View Post
Greetings all!

I have been all over this board for the past few years trying to find where to relocate and have yet to find the best place for our family. I am hoping to rectify this problem before our visit this March. We are needing to start looking into property/house when we come this time and I have no idea where we are going

I fell in love with Tennessee about 6 years ago when we took our first vacation, it has everything we are looking for in a new "home". My husband and kids are very much into fishing, camping, horses, any type of outdoor activity imaginable as well as martial arts, basketball...anything boy related basically. My daughter is into ballet, music, art, being outdoors, horses and such girly things. We have been to Chattanooga, Knoxville, Tri-Cities, Jasper/Whitwell areas and have looked briefly into Cooksville, Nashville, Hendersonville areas...and as beautiful as the areas were I have concerns about living.

The East of Tennessee is breathtakingly beautiful and we loved it so much, however, we have medical concerns with our children and would rather be close to an excellent hospital and hopefully in an area that the air/water quality are above par. As far as Nashville area, we have yet to visit and may spend a few days there if any suggestions come up on areas to visit that may fit our criteria. Basically we are WIDE open to ANY area of Tennessee at this point because being close minded about any particular areas could cause us more delay and we could miss out on the perfect spot because of our ignorance.

Schools are very important to us but as long as they are not failing or close to it I believe the kids can thrive. Extracuricular activities are key to keeping kids out of trouble and would love to find an area that offers things like bowling, roller skating, movies, church groups for teens etc...

We are forutnate enough that jobs will not be an issue for us but this does not mean we want a depressed or majority retired area. We had a suggestion on Paris, Tennessee and may look into it if anyone has an opinion they can share about the area.

I know I have posted similar posts in the past but because I was helped so much I had to try again...we want to make the best move once, not just jump into an area unprepared and dissatisfied then looking again.

1) Good schools
2) Outdoor activities
4) safe
6) good medical

I don't think I left anything out and I appologize for the lengthy post but I am hoping someone can give opinions on areas we can check out as our time is running out and I have to find a place soon. Thanks for your patience and help
What is wrong with the air quality in E Tn?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovessnow69 View Post
What is wrong with the air quality in E Tn?
I have heard several reports on the air quality being tough on people with asthma, not sure if it is the humidity, factory and vehicle pollutions or whatever else. I was shocked when I heard that, I thought that with the mountains most of that would be filtered out and actually be a healthier place to live. This is why we are open to ANY areas to look into

Old 01-19-2011, 08:22 AM

Quote:
I have heard several reports on the air quality being tough on people with asthma, not sure if it is the humidity, factory and vehicle pollutions or whatever else. I was shocked when I heard that, I thought that with the mountains most of that would be filtered out and actually be a healthier place to live. This is why we are open to ANY areas to look into
I wonder if this is true only in area's near big towns or if it is true in rural area's (over an hour away from big cities)?

Old 01-19-2011, 08:23 AM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Allergies are a problem for a lot of people, lots of pollen floating around. The area around Knoxville might pose problems because it is situated in a bowl shaped depression and pollutants can sort of pool there.
Cookeville has a lot to offer and is fairly close to Nashville for the hospitals. I'd suggest Johnson City also, they have a children's hospital that is supposed to be good, decent schools and the air quality seems to be fine.

Here are some links you might find helpful ~
The Official State of Tennessee's Department of Environment and Conservation, State Parks Website
AIRNow - Tri-Cities, TN Air Quality
This one is older but lets you target a very specific area to see which businesses are putting what sort of pollutants into the air ~ USA TODAY Special Report

PS That last one is interesting to do a comparison to the area you currently live in, I moved from a school district that ranked 2nd percentile (bad) to a district that ranked 17th. It surprised me that the area I moved from was so very bad.

Last edited by DubbleT; 01-19-2011 at 08:33 AM..

Old 01-19-2011, 10:02 AM

13,354 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
1) Good schools
2) Outdoor activities
4) safe
6) good medical

As DubbleT said, you can easily find all of that in Cookeville, including good medical. The hospital in Cookeville is excellent and is rather large, 247 beds and 1800 employees. It routinely is ranked among the best hospitals in the state. Its heart center is one of the 5 largest in the state, for example. In the rare case that the hospital there doesn't have what you need, you're only an hour'ish from Nashville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 01-19-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Allergies are a problem for a lot of people, lots of pollen floating around. The area around Knoxville might pose problems because it is situated in a bowl shaped depression and pollutants can sort of pool there.
Cookeville has a lot to offer and is fairly close to Nashville for the hospitals. I'd suggest Johnson City also, they have a children's hospital that is supposed to be good, decent schools and the air quality seems to be fine.

Here are some links you might find helpful ~
The Official State of Tennessee's Department of Environment and Conservation, State Parks Website
AIRNow - Tri-Cities, TN Air Quality
This one is older but lets you target a very specific area to see which businesses are putting what sort of pollutants into the air ~ USA TODAY Special Report

PS That last one is interesting to do a comparison to the area you currently live in, I moved from a school district that ranked 2nd percentile (bad) to a district that ranked 17th. It surprised me that the area I moved from was so very bad.
I just checked our current high school and it ranked 44% and the new high school for the area we are looking is 89%. So thats good right? higher number, better quality? Thanks for posting the links

Old 01-19-2011, 11:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
This link discusses the origins of pollution over the Smoky Mountains and how that has affected the national park:

Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Air Quality (U.S. National Park Service)

Old 01-19-2011, 12:04 PM

Thank you all for the information, it is as always helpful!

I am interested in more information on Paris Tennessee if anyone can elaborate please?

Old 01-19-2011, 02:11 PM

16,075 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Paris is pretty small not very near any major highways with easy access to the bigger TN cities.
I don't think there are many people from the area frequenting these forums. You might ask in the Nashville subforum and get a few more responses.
In the meantime a few links to check~
The Paris Post-Intelligencer
http://www.city-data.com/forum/9131676-post14.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/9067381-post12.html
http://www.city-data.com/city/Paris-Tennessee.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee