Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 08:06 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,344 times

Advertisements

Have there been any "old timey" music festivals in E. TN this summer? Any bluegrass events? I'm listening to my favorite soundtrack "oh brother" much of that music was originally recorded in the 30's and earlier, the White's, etc

Whenever I visit NC on the weekends they play old timey and old bluegrass music on the radio, I miss that when I go back west (I get to visit NC/TN every month due to my job in Missiouri).

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2007, 08:20 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,409,159 times
There's free bluegrass music in Harriman (or Rockwood, I can't recall, at Yonder Hollow, right downtown, on Friday nights: http://lh4.google.com/frankiegoestoe...JPG?imgmax=512

And also I believe in Kingston one Tuesday night a month or something like that. maybe this area isn't the area you're looking for; if it is, let me know and I'll look further into the schedule.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:25 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Have there been any "old timey" music festivals in E. TN this summer? Any bluegrass events? I'm listening to my favorite soundtrack "oh brother" much of that music was originally recorded in the 30's and earlier, the White's, etc

Whenever I visit NC on the weekends they play old timey and old bluegrass music on the radio, I miss that when I go back west (I get to visit NC/TN every month due to my job in Missiouri).

Tony
Carter Fold outside of Kingsport has weekly bluegrass and clogging every Saturday night. Carter Fold is the old family farm of the Carter family, as in June Carter Cash. The concert takes place in their old tobacco barn. Back when Johnny Cash was alive he'd make regular appearances.

Do a Google search for Carter Fold and you'll find their web site with directions, times, and prices (it's cheaper than going to a movie).

Old 08-18-2007, 10:22 PM

11 posts, read 30,320 times
Here in Bristol TN/VA we host the "RHYTHM & ROOTS" festival each year in September. This year it will be September 14-16 and the venue will include dozens of different bands. Bristol is the BIRTHPLACE of country music and where the first bluegrass/country recordings were made. We also have numerous other events year round. Here is a link that will give you all the inforamation. I hope this helps.

Welcome to the Bristol Rhythm & Roots Festival

Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Occassionally there will be bluegrass pickings at the Capital Theater in downtown Greeneville (Upcoming Events at the Capitol Theatre / Little Theatre of Greeenville (broken link)). Also the NPAC in Greeneville sometimes has shows which feature bluegrass music (::NPAC:: Events:: (http://www.greenevillenpac.com/events.php - broken link))

There's going to be a fest at the Davy Crockett Birthplace in September: Welcome to Historic Greeneville (broken link)

One of my favourites (outside of Rhythm & Roots and Virginia Highlands) is the Bluff Mountain Music Festival in Hot Springs, NC in Madison. It has a great feel and the guy who runs it is hilarious, especially when he's dancing! main.nc.us/bluff/

In addition there are weekly bluegrass pickings around the region which are mostly word of mouth. The only one I know of that runs continuously is at Rheatown Store in east Greene county.

Old 08-18-2007, 11:51 PM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
In addition there are weekly bluegrass pickings around the region which are mostly word of mouth. The only one I know of that runs continuously is at Rheatown Store in east Greene county.
Carter Fold outside of Kingsport has bluegrass concerts every Saturday of the year no matter the weather. I guess you missed my earlier post.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:21 AM

2,171 posts, read 7,661,334 times
You can hear bluegrass live in downtown Knoxville during lunch time every weekday at the Blue Plate Special on WDVX
Blue Plate (broken link)
You can also listen to the station online.
main
You can get to a bunch of festivals within 30 miles of Knoxville.
The Dumplin Valley Bluegrass festival is in mid september.
Home (http://www.dumplinvalleybluegrass.com/ - broken link)
The Racoon Valley Bluegrass festival is the following week:
Raccoon Valley Bluegrass Festival
Seveirville's is in May
Sevierville Tennessee's Bloomin' Barbeque & Bluegrass
But Bluegrass in the Smokies is coming up:
bluegrass in the smokies bluegrass festival tennesee
Ritter Farms has several shows a year. Ricky Skaggs will be playing at their plow horse day over Labor Day Weekend
Ritter Farms Ricky Skaggs Concert (http://www.ritterfarms.com/rickyskaggsconcert.html - broken link)
You can study bluegrass at East Tennessee State University if you choose to:
Bluegrass, Old Time, & Country Music (http://www.etsu.edu/cass/bluegrass/calendar.asp - broken link)
If you like Bluegrass, you'll love East Tennessee.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:57 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,007,344 times
Thanks for all of the replies, I grew up in NC and remember going to some blue grass events in Asheville area. Sounds like I'll need to get out and about to enjoy some of this on my next visit this weekend.

Thanks again

Tony

Old 08-19-2007, 04:27 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Thanks Knoxgarden for all of those sites! They are bookmarked and ready to go.

And, JMT for the Carter Fold information. We had heard about Carter Family Fold concerts, but didn't know they were every week. Wow!!

My husband thinks he is moving to heaven now for sure! His online bluegrass stations run at least 8 hrs. a day and now we will get to go live as soon as we can get moved.

Can't wait. Thanks a bunch.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:50 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Smile In addition, thanks everyone else, too.

In fact, thanks everybody. As I read through the thread I see several more festivals and events. We'll have plenty to do and see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee