Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 01:07 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,633 times

Advertisements

Can any of y'all tell me of some great state parks for camping, hiking, etc. within an hour of Murfreesboro?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 01:12 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
Can any of y'all tell me of some great state parks for camping, hiking, etc. within an hour of Murfreesboro?

Thanks

I'm not quite sure if it's within an hour, but go to Fall Creek Falls SP (east of McMinnville).

You might also try Old Stone Fort Archaelogical Area (a SP) in Manchester.

Tennessee has great state parks!

Old 02-28-2007, 02:48 PM

13,354 posts, read 39,963,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I'm not quite sure if it's within an hour, but go to Fall Creek Falls SP (east of McMinnville).

You might also try Old Stone Fort Archaelogical Area (a SP) in Manchester.

Tennessee has great state parks!
I agree with FL_TN_Nana. Definitely Fall Creek Falls! It's Tennessee's most popular state park for a reason. Not only does it have several stunningly beautiful waterfalls (including the highest waterfall east of the Rockies) but it's got miles and miles of paths, paved and unpaved. Some of the paved paths go along the shoreline of a beautiful lake, and some of the paved paths meander for miles through some thick woods.

It's got some beautiful campgrounds as well as opportunities for primitive camping. You'll find some of the most beautiful vistas in the area as well as virgin forests that are thousands of years old.

Tennessee has a lot of beautiful state parks, but Fall Creek Falls is probably the crown jewel of them all. And if you get tired of cooking over a campfire, you can eat at its excellent restaurant located at the inn overlooking the lake. And if you get tired of hiking, you can rent bikes.

Old 02-28-2007, 03:11 PM

64 posts, read 243,189 times
Yesterday, I researched state parks with campsites for an upcoming look-see at Eastern TN, and Fall Creek Falls is doing major renovations this summer and won't be taking camping reservations until finished (however the inn and cabins look like they'll be open).

What's everybody's favorite between Davy Crockett's Birthplace, Warrior's Path & Roan Mountain State Parks? I'll be tenting it for a week or so while I check out the Tri-Cities.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:56 PM

94 posts, read 387,657 times
Thumbs up Fall Creek Falls

I'd have to say Fall creek Falls would be my choice. I've never actually camped there, but that's only because I live just a few minutes away. My girlfriend and brother both work there.

One note for people wanting to access the park...they have detoured the main access road from hwy 30 to circle around and come into what we call the back side of the park. (via hwy 111)

Also there is a movie being filmed in and around the area right now. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to name the actress so I won't. Right now the production company for this movie has 60 rooms rented at the Inn.

They will be filming some scenes for a few days and then moving on.

The detour should be removed as soon as a bridge is repaired...This is probably almost done now.

Now aside from all this high profile stuff...once all that is done I'm sure the park will be back in full swing. I'd hadn't heard about the campground updates, but I can ask the lil brother to see what is going on there.

I'm sure they will prioritize getting the campgrounds updated and ready to go.

Kerry

Old 02-28-2007, 05:01 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,229 times
Fall Creek Falls SP has wonderful hiking trails and beautiful sites, including water falls. I recommend it highly!

Roan Mountain SP is real close to mountain tops on the state border to NC, also the Appalachian Trail. Very nice place!

Warriors Path SP is a nice, family oriented place to go to on a Sat. or Sun. afternoon, but lacks the wilderness flavor of the others.

Your decision depends on what you are in the mood for. That Old Stone Fort sounds really nice - I haven't been there.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:39 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
http://tennessee.gov/environment/parks/

You can take a look at each one of the parks to see what they have to offer. Too bad about FCF SP this year! But the upgrades should make it even better next year!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:31 AM

64 posts, read 243,189 times
Thanks for your input. Looks like I'll check out Roan Mountain this spring/summer and check out FCF next year.

Old 03-01-2007, 01:46 PM

240 posts, read 1,156,041 times
If your looking to stay near Falls Creek Falls next year, I might now of a cabin you can rent of the camp ground, Brand new. Send me a PM message if you want the info

Old 03-02-2007, 08:17 AM

141 posts, read 981,624 times
Rock Island, Edgar Evins, Burgess Falls, Cedars of Lebanon, Bledsoe Creek, Long Hunter, Henry Horton, Radnor Lake, I'm sure that there are more.

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/findapark/

I liked hiking in the gorge at Rock Island, it's a great place to go in the early summer. Very cool being in a giant rock gorge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee