Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 05:55 PM

92 posts, read 584,125 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I need some suggestions as to some really great highways, back ones for a leisurely motorcycle ride.? I don't care what part of the state either... I just want to get out and ride... vacation is coming up at the end of oct and if weather permitting I want to go on my bike.. Don't care about the doing the Tail of the Dragon yet that will be later on .. as I am not ready for that ride yet..
Thanks in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 06:39 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Lord, there are so many pretty roads here. It would help to know where you starting from. But since you said "anywhere..."

Highway 64 across southern Tennessee is beautifully rural, from the Selmer/Shiloh Battlefield area across to I-65. It's flatter and gently rolling, with no cliffs to worry about.

The Natchez Trace is good, of course.

In East TN, I remember the drive from Harrogate to Rogersville being lovely.

Near Memphis, going south toward Mississippi down Highway 61 takes you straight into delta country, with an unmatched view of the bluffs.

I could name others but the state is nearly 600 miles across with 2 time zones. Can you narrow your starting location down a little?

Old 09-15-2012, 06:56 PM

my starting point is the Dyersburg area.. forgot all about HWY 64, I could do that and the Trace when I go down to Savannah to visit my grandbabies... I have a full week coming up..

Old 09-15-2012, 07:04 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,920,589 times
Sounds like fun!

I like 64 because you get some hills, some trees, old farmhouses, lots of wide-open farmland vistas and just enough small towns to keep you awake.

Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 PM

perfect hwy for my first long distance trip...

Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 AM

3,045 posts, read 5,241,513 times
I don't understand the "not ready for the Dragon" bit... Maybe you're not ready to race around the curves at 50mph with one knee dragging the pavement, but anyone can drive on it. Or did you mean that your rear isn't "hard" enough yet to survive the 6-hour drive just to get over to that end of the state?

Other than the Dragon, my first thought was this site: Biker's Dozen. It's a detailed list of 13 loops routes that start and end near Chattanooga. But you're completely on the other end of the state.

Even if you don't want to do the Dragon, here's a site that lists many many fun biking routes in and around the Smokies. The Cherohala Skyway is an awesome ride in any vehicle. Jaw-dropping views and you climb to over a mile in elevation. But again, other end of the state.

I've driven 64 from Franklin, NC, to Savannah, TN, and I agree it's a pretty ride. One potential issue is that TDOT is working on expanding 64 to 4-lanes across the state, so you'll possibly hit construction at some point in the ride. The Natchez Trace is also nice.

Try a trip up to the Land Between the Lakes.

If you can, find a local motorcycle rag to subscribe to. You can usually find a copy at your local bike store. Often the local magazines include reviews of local rides.

What are your other interests? Personally, I enjoy a pretty ride, but usually I'm taking the trip for a reason and I plan my route to maximize the pleasantness of the trip. For example, I drive from Chattanooga, TN, to Clemson, SC a couple of times a year. I could just take the interstate to Atlanta then up to Clemson, but instead I usually plan a route through the mountains of GA, TN, and/or NC. If you're on 64, a side trip to Lynchburg to see the Jack Daniels distillery is interesting if you're into that sort of thing.

One other recommendations: A Rand McNally road Atlas (highways and other main roads) or the folding paper state maps will be useful, but for real back roads you absolutely need a Delorme Gazetteer for every state you plan on visiting. Your phone GPS will be very useful, but batteries die, charging cables get broken, and data signals get lost in the high twisties. I've never had my Delorme maps fail to function because of dead batteries.

Last edited by An Einnseanair; 09-16-2012 at 08:14 AM..

Old 09-16-2012, 09:50 AM

I could handle the 6hrs... no problem but since I am a newbie to riding is what i meant for not ready for the dragon.. I have looked for the foldable maps here in Dyersburg and haven't had any luck... my local bike shop doesn't carry much, just was there to pick up my chain wax...
I do plan on more trips.. if I combined my other likes which are antiques with my bike trips I would be in serious trouble.. LOL.. I just plan on riding for a leisurely ride during my vacation to enjoy nature.. and since my vacation is at the end of oct I am hoping to enjoy some foliage.. and if I can swing thru
I will check out the Delorme Gazetteer tho.. I get info from TN about what is going on each month.. Also I do plan on camping along the way.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:16 PM

Finally found a road map , had to drive aways but thats okay. at least I found one.. now I am going to start planning my vacation trip. Next weekend I will go to reelfoot lake .. saddlebags should be on then.
Thanks for the suggestions I do appreciate them.,

Old 09-17-2012, 09:54 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,534,641 times
Told a biker friend of mine headed to Gatlinburg about taking the straighter route off I-40 and not having to go anywhere near Knoxville. Can't remember the road numbers but you get off 40 east of Kingston (there will be signs for the Smoky Mountains exit). This will take you through Lenoir City, Maryville (always have to eat @ Shoney's there. lol) then on through Townsend and come out in Pigeon Forge. When he came back he said that was the perfect route for a motorcycle. Plenty of curves!

Old 09-17-2012, 01:37 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,515,224 times
West of Knoxville... Harriman at I-40 >>> North 29-27-61 passing Loan Mountain Route 52 Rugby Highway into Jamestown and back North on 127.... working west 111 then South brings you back down into Cookeville an I-40.
On the route you have the town of Historic Rugby and Standing Stone State Park ~ Cummings Falls ~ Burgess Falls South of Cookeville. Back on I-40 West at Cookeville 15 miles is turn off for Edgar Evans State Park & Center Hill Dam .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee