Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 10:36 AM

3 posts, read 12,224 times

Advertisements

My wife and I want to move to SE Tenn. to start a gentlemans farm. Relocating from Pa. and want to find someplace rural and close to a small town with Southern feel. Any ideas. Currently looking in Monroe County and Tellico Plaines. Thooughts. We will be empty nesters and will not be looking for jobs. Truly want to get back to small town rural america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 10:59 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Hi, kp. Welcome to the Tennessee forum.

I don't really have any recommendations for you since I don't know that area that well, but you should be able to find a small southern town around here somewhere; we're got a bunch of 'em.

I'm not sure what kind of gentleman's farm you're starting, but there's organzations for just about every kind of hobby farm, everything from fainting goats to llamas to mules to Tennessee Walking Horses (although some of those are not hobby farms).

Old 11-04-2007, 11:05 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Try this link..... Sequatchie County & Dunlap, TN Chamber of Commerce

Old 11-04-2007, 11:31 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,321,489 times
Welcome to the forum.
I would suggest you look to the Rogersville/ Hawkins county area. Hawkins County, Tennessee - Welcome to Hawkins County
Rogersville's downtown is listed on the National Registry of Historic Places and is very quaint yet has many areas within a few miles where a gentleman's farm could be very affordable and enjoyable. The views by the Holston River and of the Cumberland mountains are beautiful! Nice people too....my folks live out that way.

Old 11-04-2007, 11:48 AM

Default impressive

Wow...I'm impressed with the quck responses...thank you. I'll check out the info in the replies so far, but to answer the question on the farm, horses and dogs with room to roam and a small town with a southern home time feel.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:16 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,213,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrady View Post
Wow...I'm impressed with the quck responses...thank you. I'll check out the info in the replies so far, but to answer the question on the farm, horses and dogs with room to roam and a small town with a southern home time feel.
There's some beautiful country in the triangle formed by Nashville, Knoxville, and Chattanooga. Some of the land is rolling hills and some is somewhat steep. You might also consider the Tullahoma and Shelbyville areas.

A lot of folks here seem to like Crossville. I don't know all that much about it.

And when you do get here, but sure to visit some of the state parks and lakes in the area, especially Fall Creek Falls. Spencer, near Fall Creek Falls might even be a possibility for you.

Oh, and one oddball question. Have you had horses before? The reason I ask is because I saw a photo posted online the other day of someone who had their horses in a pen fenced with barbed wire. A couple of us starting yelling about that. I assume you know horses and know that's a big no-no.

Last edited by alleycat; 11-04-2007 at 01:35 PM..

Old 11-04-2007, 02:26 PM

All our lives...only use wood or electic tape. Currently have 3 horses on our 6 acres in Pa., but want a much larger property, barn, etc.

Thanks for the info!

K

Old 11-04-2007, 03:52 PM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times
Arrow More Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbrady View Post
All our lives...only use wood or electic tape. Currently have 3 horses on our 6 acres in Pa., but want a much larger property, barn, etc.

Thanks for the info!

K
Read between the lines..... LandandFarmdotcom,,,,,,,,

Old 11-04-2007, 04:39 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,497,441 times
Check McMinn County as well as Monroe County if you like that particular area.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:59 PM

8 posts, read 18,530 times
Default Hi Rural TN

I have lived in rural TN for 50 yrs., yet have traveled the whole country. TN is like three states in one(distinct differences) and so are the counties.The area you are looking in is known for its wild life. And I mean WILD.Undeveloped land, snakes,deer, wild boar, coyote,fox. It is a hunter's paradise Greene county is huge-my husband is from their, and the prettiest farmland I've ever seen-many are still large farms. Hamblen and Hawkins County have small farms with low tax rates-and low crime rates, nice, country communities. Northeast of there is beautiful, beautiful Grainger County. FULL of lakes-yet very rural and undeveloped. Low priced land, and close to Morristown.You might check that out. Northeast of that is wild , undeveloped areas(Hancock and Claiborne county) much like Tellico Plains Area-only cheaper land. Check it out and see what you think. And always the beautiful Great Smoky Mountains nearby to visit!! Of course ALL of rural TN is full of wild life-deer, fox, etc. Some areas are much more undeveloped and KNOWN for their"wildness"-that is part of their charm!! If I can answer any questions feel free to ask!! If I don't know, maybe my son will-he's a pro!! Good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee