Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2007, 08:01 AM

252 posts, read 1,072,377 times

Advertisements

I am so frustrated I need to vent......lol. How are you guys doing this? Everyone who is trying to relocate knows the vicious circle of not finding employment out of state because of not being a resident or even taken seriously. Then know that no matter how much money you give the landlord, or apartment manager in advance, be it the whole 6mos lease, or 1yr lease up front......they still won't rent to you w/o employment. Which I understand but at the same point, seems more secure than someone that pays month to month. Anyhow, this has been a year now and I am not having any luck getting employment out of state, or getting an apartment out of state no matter how much I have going for me........<<sigh>>

What is a gal to do? Looks like to me I have to buy a house first, and that just doesn't seem favorable in my opinion because of the unknowns. Thanks for listening to a vent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 09:42 AM

65 posts, read 203,662 times
There are lots of retired folks who are renters (such as us). We looked at many different places and nobody asked if we had jobs. Maybe the apartment managers you've spoken with discrimate against age?

Old 11-23-2007, 05:30 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,606,950 times
You might offer to send a copy of your bank statement to show that you have savings. You could offer references from past employers to demonstrate that you have a good work ethic and are likely to keep a job. What kind of work do you do?

Old 11-23-2007, 10:26 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,056,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You might offer to send a copy of your bank statement to show that you have savings. You could offer references from past employers to demonstrate that you have a good work ethic and are likely to keep a job. What kind of work do you do?
I agree with this.

Good places will also do a criminal background check and credit history check on you, too, and you will have to sign a statement that says they are allowed to have that info.

And I was also asked for driver's license/plate number. Originally, I thought it had to do with parking so I told them after I moved to Tennessee I'd have a different plate but now that I think about it, they probably also do a motor vehicle check on your driving history.

All of that may seem excessive when it's applied to you personally but I like the idea that my neighbors passed the application process, too, especially the criminal background check and that they are employed or retired. I think I'd be wary of moving to an apartment complex that didn't do enough checking because that means your neighbors could be anybody.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:53 AM

2,071 posts, read 7,688,341 times
Only you know all the details/circumstances of your situation and can make the best decision. That said, it may not be the best decision to buy a house before securing employment and acclimating to the area.

How many times have we heard of someone moving to an area without firming up employment only to be forced to move back.

Whatever you do....all the best

Old 11-23-2007, 02:58 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
I am so frustrated I need to vent......lol. How are you guys doing this? Everyone who is trying to relocate knows the vicious circle of not finding employment out of state because of not being a resident or even taken seriously. Then know that no matter how much money you give the landlord, or apartment manager in advance, be it the whole 6mos lease, or 1yr lease up front......they still won't rent to you w/o employment. Which I understand but at the same point, seems more secure than someone that pays month to month. Anyhow, this has been a year now and I am not having any luck getting employment out of state, or getting an apartment out of state no matter how much I have going for me........<<sigh>>

What is a gal to do? Looks like to me I have to buy a house first, and that just doesn't seem favorable in my opinion because of the unknowns. Thanks for listening to a vent
Ok, for $59.95 I will be your local friend, provide you with my mailing address, vouch for you, coach you on how to sound like you're from around here and throw in a set of Ginsu knives. Now, you can say that you actually know someone living in this place!

Just Kidding!

Seriously, if doors aren't opening for you for a year now I would suggest that you regroup. Something is holding you back from coming here. Respect that OR change your tactics. How can we help? Where do you want to go, what kind of work have you been doing/do you want to do here? Give us some info to be able to help you.

Good Luck.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,228,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Seriously, if doors aren't opening for you for a year now I would suggest that you regroup. Something is holding you back from coming here. Respect that OR change your tactics. How can we help? Where do you want to go, what kind of work have you been doing/do you want to do here? Give us some info to be able to help you.
Yep.

As far as getting a job when you don't actually live here, it various with the type of employment you're looking for. In professional or semi-professional fields it's done all the time. It also varies with the town you're looking it; it would be much harder to find something in a small town than in one of the cities or larger towns.

In any event, you're going to have to come here and talk to people in person before you're considered very seriously for employment.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:16 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,522,967 times
Reminds me. I spoke with someone regarding a position with me on a couple of different occasions. The spouse got a job in Knoxville and they are moving here in December. The candidate phoned me to ask what was needed to do regarding employment. When I told them that they would have to come in and interview with our team they seemed shocked that I wouldn't just extend an offer over the phone.

I don't know anyone that hires without seeing candidates put forth some effort.

Old 11-23-2007, 03:30 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,228,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Reminds me. I spoke with someone regarding a position with me on a couple of different occasions. The spouse got a job in Knoxville and they are moving here in December. The candidate phoned me to ask what was needed to do regarding employment. When I told them that they would have to come in and interview with our team they seemed shocked that I wouldn't just extend an offer over the phone.

I don't know anyone that hires without seeing candidates put forth some effort.
I have an even funnier story. I worked for a large architectural and engineering firm one time (the largest in the state, I believe). One day a young woman comes in and asks to speak with my boss about a position. He agrees. When he begins the interview with her he discovers that she's actually there looking for a job for her husband. He was too lazy and disinterested to come himself! To I have to tell you the guy didn't get the job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee