Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Email ad: documented caves, largest aquarium, artificial skiing surface, amusement park, country music

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 07:51 AM

36,530 posts, read 30,871,648 times

Advertisements

Good post Laura
I feel the same as you just cant put it into words like you can.

That is exactly the thing happening where I live. Just imaging an invasion of retirees and illegal aliens!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2007, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,322 times
What makes Tennessee so special?
According to the Tennessee Cave Survey Web Site, "Land of 10,000 Caves", they have now documented more than 9,100 caves in the state. Other cave sources predict approximately 5,000+ caves are still undiscovered in the state and are still unknown to the Tennessee Cave Survey. So some estimates are 15,000 caves are under Middle TN and East TN. (Think Swiss Cheese) So it is nature and karst that makes the state unique! However, where you have karst you also have sinkholes, caves, sinking streams, bedrock fractures, and underground aquifers. While this is a blessing for nature lovers -- it can be a curse for retirees -- who are unfamiliar with the karst topography of the state. Karst areas can cause serious engineering problems when building a house due to cave collapse, sinkhole development, ground water erosion and the list goes on. I do not believe TN has provisions for sinkhole insurance and to my knowledge most insurance companies do not have any type sinkhole inclusion in the policy. It seems the ones running these advertisement simply do not include any factual information on the hazzards of building a home on hollow ground as is found in the Tennessee karst landscape.

Here is an educational video that may be useful.
" Hollow Ground: The Land of Caverns, Sinkholes and Springs "
http://www.state.tn.us/environment/v...lowgrnd768.wmv

Old 11-30-2007, 08:53 AM

364 posts, read 1,112,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverView View Post
Should we exterminate people over a certain age? Still watching Logans run?
Sure long as we can raise the age when I reach it.

Ill have to see the movie or read the novel. Never heard of Logans run before you mentioned it.

Actually there is no need for a law. Just turn the old folks loose on those mountain roads and the population will take care of it self.

*** just kidding *** I love old folks

Old 11-30-2007, 10:59 AM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOWAddict View Post
Because then TN becomes what FL is in 10 years.
It won't take ten years. Once a city gets on the "It List" radar, seekers flock to it like homing pigeons, drawn by the lure of a more affordable cost of living, less traffic and a nicer lifestyle than they could have had elsewhere. Then costs go up, traffic worsens and that nicer lifestyle becomes more expensive and less desirable. You read all these posts and you realize that most people aren't running to; they're running from. Few places live up to the hype-- and most newcomers don't do a lot of research-- so they become disappointed, then disillusioned, then disgruntled. Disgruntled people make life miserable for everyone.

I don't know why everyone is coming to TN. There are so many affordable places to live, in all different areas offering all different things. Why do people hone in on TN, if it doesn't have the things they want, then get here and complain about it? Why not just pick a place that suits them in the first place?

Old 11-30-2007, 11:12 AM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post

I don't know why everyone is coming to TN. There are so many affordable places to live, in all different areas offering all different things. Why do people hone in on TN, if it doesn't have the things they want, then get here and complain about it? Why not just pick a place that suits them in the first place?
It's not that EVERYONE is moving to TN but this is the TN forum and that's what forums are for. If you look on the other state forums, you'll see people are moving elsewhere just as much and asking the same kinds of questions people ask here on the TN site about relocation. The population isn't getting any smaller and people need to live somewhere.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:34 AM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
It won't take ten years. Once a city gets on the "It List" radar, seekers flock to it like homing pigeons, drawn by the lure of a more affordable cost of living, less traffic and a nicer lifestyle than they could have had elsewhere. Then costs go up, traffic worsens and that nicer lifestyle becomes more expensive and less desirable. You read all these posts and you realize that most people aren't running to; they're running from. Few places live up to the hype-- and most newcomers don't do a lot of research-- so they become disappointed, then disillusioned, then disgruntled. Disgruntled people make life miserable for everyone.

We are moving to Tennessee because we LOVE the state! And we have no intentions of complaining about anything. We've been doing online research for a couple of years, frequent this forum and the advice of those who live in TN. Also read at least a dozen TN newspapers online daily, and keep up with the local television stations.

In the Maine forum, there are many posters who are planning their moves to Maine. I would say it evens out in the end.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:37 PM

2,197 posts, read 7,393,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
It's not that EVERYONE is moving to TN but this is the TN forum and that's what forums are for. If you look on the other state forums, you'll see people are moving elsewhere just as much and asking the same kinds of questions people ask here on the TN site about relocation. The population isn't getting any smaller and people need to live somewhere.
Yes, everyone needs to live somewhere, but my point is, live somewhere you like. Don't move here, because you can't afford where you are or you hate the traffic, rude people, yada yada yada about there, then come HERE and complain, complain, complain because nothing is to your liking or meets your standards or conforms to your idea of what the perfect place to live should be. I'm not singling anyone out; I'm using the collective, generic "you" here.

People who don't complain and are appreciative are generally welcomed, in my experience. Personally, I wish Knoxville was more like CA, but I knew it wasn't when I moved here and I didn't expect it to be any different once I'm here. So I try to keep a positive outlook and appreciate all the nice things about TN and not kvetch about the things that I find not so nice. Because others might like them just fine. And the things I'm dying to have, others don't care one bit about.

Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Yes, everyone needs to live somewhere, but my point is, live somewhere you like. Don't move here, because you can't afford where you are or you hate the traffic, rude people, yada yada yada about there, then come HERE and complain, complain, complain because nothing is to your liking or meets your standards or conforms to your idea of what the perfect place to live should be. I'm not singling anyone out; I'm using the collective, generic "you" here.

People who don't complain and are appreciative are generally welcomed, in my experience. Personally, I wish Knoxville was more like CA, but I knew it wasn't when I moved here and I didn't expect it to be any different once I'm here. So I try to keep a positive outlook and appreciate all the nice things about TN and not kvetch about the things that I find not so nice. Because others might like them just fine.
I always enjoy your posts, and I agree with you completely.

When I was here in Knoxville 10 years ago, I hated it. And I let everyone know how much I hated it. And guess what? People quit inviting me to their homes. Of course, at the time I chalked it up to their unfriendliness; it never occurred to me that it was MY fault that people didn't want me around. Who wants to be around a constant whiner? And I was definitely a whiner.

Now that I'm back, I am keeping a positive outlook. Sure there are things that annoy me about living here. But I've noticed something: as I try to be more positive about living in Knoxville, I'm enjoying living here more. Isn't that something?

I guess the lesson here is: BE POSITIVE. Keep reminding yourself of the positive things about living here. Rather than always looking for the greener grass, you'll soon learn to be happy with what you already have. And I think that we here in the Knoxville area are pretty fortunate.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:13 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,100,245 times
Quote:

People who don't complain and are appreciative are generally welcomed, in my experience. Personally, I wish Knoxville was more like CA, but I knew it wasn't when I moved here and I didn't expect it to be any different once I'm here. So I try to keep a positive outlook and appreciate all the nice things about TN and not kvetch about the things that I find not so nice. Because others might like them just fine. And the things I'm dying to have, others don't care one bit about.
Yes but my point is most everyone moving is looking for the same thing. I frequent the FL forum too trying to help those who want to move to FL and it's the same thing. People in NJ are looking for what they like...cheaper housing, warmer weather, friendly people and for them the think it's FL. Sure once they get here they'll will find it's too hot, too crowded, no good paying jobs and so forth and will complain like crazy. It takes a little time to figure out if you "like" where you moved or not and those that you find complaining that they don't like it where they live are probably the ones stuck and are trying to move out. Sure people might like the move at first because it's a new experience but after they get settled in and realize they are not happy, then they will try moving again.

I personally don't believe people just move to any old place on the map just for the cheaper cost of living and less traffic. There has to be something else that draws them in that direction whether it be the weather, the outdoor activities, a job transfer or whatever. I mean, you got to enjoy life wherever you settle down and to live in misery just to pay a lower cost of living and have less traffic to me is not what i consider a good situation.

Old 11-30-2007, 01:17 PM

1,323 posts, read 4,701,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I always enjoy your posts, and I agree with you completely.

When I was here in Knoxville 10 years ago, I hated it. And I let everyone know how much I hated it. And guess what? People quit inviting me to their homes. Of course, at the time I chalked it up to their unfriendliness; it never occurred to me that it was MY fault that people didn't want me around. Who wants to be around a constant whiner? And I was definitely a whiner.

Now that I'm back, I am keeping a positive outlook. Sure there are things that annoy me about living here. But I've noticed something: as I try to be more positive about living in Knoxville, I'm enjoying living here more. Isn't that something?

I guess the lesson here is: BE POSITIVE. Keep reminding yourself of the positive things about living here. Rather than always looking for the greener grass, you'll soon learn to be happy with what you already have. And I think that we here in the Knoxville area are pretty fortunate.
JMT,

Great advice. I try to be positive about living in the Sacramento, CA area, but it is difficult for me to do so with high taxes, crowded highways, rude people, an out of control flow of illegal immigrants, high cost of housing, and many other things. I could go on and on. I will take your advice and keep reminding myself of the positive things about living here (while planning for retirement in Tennessee). Perhaps your advice will help me to remain sane until I retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee