Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 PM

77 posts, read 209,065 times

Advertisements

Looking To Relocate Looking For Family Oreinted,quiet,low Crime And Homes In The 200k To 250k Range With Decent Lots
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
I vote the Tri-Cities!
But please tell us a bit more specifics about what you are looking for in a new home town. Your first descriptions are good, but they cover many many towns and cities in TN.
Do you need schools with certain criteria? Close to an international air port? Water near by? East, North East, Central, South or West TN? By decent lots do you mean 1 acre or 20? Mountain views important or do you prefer valley's? And anything else that you feel is important to your family that we should be aware of to offer you suggestions on where to look.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 PM

77 posts, read 209,065 times
1acre At Least, Rural Not To Rural Good Schools, Within 30 To 40min Of Memphis Since Employment Could Be Near There

When You Say Tri Cities You Mean?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:52 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,323,591 times
Tri-Cities includes Johnson City, Kingsport and Bristol TN. The area is in the North East Corner of TN, between VA and NC.
What kind of work are you looking for? There are many cities (with much less of a crime factor too!) in TN besides Memphis that has work. Or are you saying you are being transfered with a job in Memphis?

Old 01-16-2008, 07:57 PM

11 posts, read 47,924 times
Default Fayette County

If you are definitely going to the Memphis area then you should consider Oakland or other areas in Fayette County. The schools in Fayette county aren't the best (but neither are those in Memphis). Housing prices are more reasonable there than in Collierville or Germantown (though the schools are better in those locations). The other option is to cross the state line into Mississippi. There are several nicer areas growing just across the border (a lot of people trying to get out of Memphis) with better schools than the Fayette County area; however, the trade off is you have to pay Mississippi income tax.

Old 01-16-2008, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,605 times
Default Avoid Memphis

Stay as far away from Memphis as possible if you are looking for low crime! The FBI listed Memphis as the 2nd most dangerous city (next to Detroit). My husband and I are tired of the crime and are moving ourselves. Between the murders, burglaries, car thefts, and petty thefts that run rampant in this town, the drivers, public schools, and taxes are horrible.

Go east in Tennessee, or go to (believe it or not...) Mississippi! Mississippi's schools are much better, taxes lower and crime is very low (cops actually do their jobs there).

Nashville is OK. Head for the hills...that's all I can say. Even try South Carolina, North Carolina, or Virginia. My hubby and I are moving to Oregon.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:25 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,487,747 times
Trading Miami for Memphis is no bargain.As bad as it may be in Miami, it is no better in Memphis. Unless murder,rape, crack/meth,failing schools,corrupt mayor and exhorbitant taxes are what you are looking for. If so. Memphis is for you!! As other posters have stated, look in NW Mississippi. Across the river in Arkansas is okay in places. You can also look in Fayette or Hardeman Counties to the east of Memphis. Land/homes are cheaper and taxes are still reasonable. Good luck!

Old 04-12-2008, 02:48 AM

2 posts, read 8,696 times
I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Nashville!! In particular, I would recommend areas outside of Nashville. The rolling hills and rivers are beautiful, people are friendly, and there are so many amenities (and more so every month it seems now). In particular, I would strongly recommend Franklin. It's a suburban city that actually existed 200 years ago which means it has a beautiful downtown/main street along with nice amenities. My biased opinion though is my beloved hometown of Columbia. It is a true TN city and has not gotten swallowed up by the pretentiousness of Nashville suburbs (Williamson County). The people are down to earth and friendly, and you get the true feel of living in a town where people know each other. But, it is still only 30 min from Franklin and its restaurants/shopping, and an hour away from Nashville. So, you're not in the middle of nowhere! (Keep it secret... PLEASE!)

Old 04-13-2008, 07:41 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,640 times
If you stay as far from Memphis as possible then you will be in the Tri-Cities area. You will find the area quite scenic and the natives a friendly bunch. A very good place to call home.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:43 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Lots and lots of great cities in Tennessee. As far as Memphis goes there is a town near Memphis called Collierville that is lovely.

Best advice I can give you is to narrow your search down to a region and then go from there. Good Luck; it's a large state with a lot of "bests".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee