Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 03:03 PM

10 posts, read 9,593 times

Advertisements

Hi all. My husband and I are moving from CT to TN mid-October and we just don't know the area well enough to be confident in choosing a specific town in which to live. We have an 18 month old so safety is our number one priority. My husband has been focusing on the Knoxville area whereas I gravitate more toward the Nashville area when looking at listings. Any suggestions at all for a nice, safe place to live for a young family would be very much appreciated. Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 05:03 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,083,877 times
You have to give us more information on your wants and desires....

Do you need employment...do not move without a job if you need one, this will determine the starting point....

Old 08-30-2015, 08:20 PM

My husband is able to take his job with him since he works remotely most of the time and travels when needed. One of the reasons we're moving is for the overall cost of living so that I can stay home with our baby when he is traveling. We'd like a safe suburb outside either Knoxville or Nashville, preferably not too far away from amenities like a Walmart, grocery store, etc. correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm only able to really gather my information from the Internet, but we'd like to avoid the Memphis area as I'm reading that Memphis isn't especially safe. An area where the schools are good for when our son is in school would be nice, but not necessary right now since he isn't even 2 years old. We'd like to live around younger families so that we can hopefully make some friends. Also, we will be renting for the first year since we don't feel comfortable buying from out of state. So we are more limited in that regard as I'm not seeing a ton of places for rent in what I'm researching to be the safer areas. Thanks for such a quick response!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 PM

35,131 posts, read 31,403,664 times
If hubby is WFH and you are staying at home, coming from a rich place like Connecticut, and you're even considering the richer areas of Nashville, you should be able to afford them easily, but be prepared to spend $500-$750k in Brentwood or Franklin.

You can get by for hundreds of thousands less in an affluent Knoxville suburb like Farragut, the local job market is much weaker. Day to day life won't be different.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:59 PM

Farragut has been at the top of our list so it's good to hear confirmation that it's a nice and affordable area. Thank you! There aren't many rents available in the area at the moment but maybe in the coming weeks something will become available.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:35 AM

9,476 posts, read 10,827,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgd527 View Post
Farragut has been at the top of our list so it's good to hear confirmation that it's a nice and affordable area. Thank you! There aren't many rents available in the area at the moment but maybe in the coming weeks something will become available.

By east TN standards Farragut is expensive. However the high COL area up north you are coming from may make Farragut look cheap. It is a nice area no doubt, lots of shopping near Turkey Creek and very good schools. If you are looking for an area with lower housing cost there are a lot of areas around Knoxville that are nice, and half the price of Farragut. West Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Halls, Powell are just a few that come to mind. Lots of nice communities to consider.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 AM

13,360 posts, read 40,018,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
If hubby is WFH and you are staying at home, coming from a rich place like Connecticut, and you're even considering the richer areas of Nashville, you should be able to afford them easily, but be prepared to spend $500-$750k in Brentwood or Franklin.

You can get by for hundreds of thousands less in an affluent Knoxville suburb like Farragut, the local job market is much weaker. Day to day life won't be different.
Those prices for Brentwood or Franklin are absurd. There are many homes available for much less than that. Not to mention there are other Nashville suburbs which are cheaper but offer the same lifestyle that is available in Farragut. Mount Juliet and Hendersonville are definitely worth checking out. And since the OP's husband will be flying for his job, they might appreciate being closer to the Nashville airport which has much better connections and much cheaper air fares than Knoxville's little airport.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 08-31-2015, 06:14 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,284,393 times
I'd like to respond to the people saying this person can afford an expensive home down here since they are coming from CT. Not everyone in the northeast has an expensive home. Do you realize you can live in a home for around $200,000 in CT in a nice area. Please don't think that because people are moving here from another area that they have money to spend.

jdg527, we moved here from CT 8 years ago and love this area. I will send you a private message.

Last edited by 46Barb; 08-31-2015 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-31-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
By east TN standards Farragut is expensive. However the high COL area up north you are coming from may make Farragut look cheap. It is a nice area no doubt, lots of shopping near Turkey Creek and very good schools. If you are looking for an area with lower housing cost there are a lot of areas around Knoxville that are nice, and half the price of Farragut. West Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Maryville, Halls, Powell are just a few that come to mind. Lots of nice communities to consider.
Yea, my husband has a colleague who lives in Farragut and loves it, which is why we looked further into the area. There are a couple of other towns that you mentioned (Halls and Powell) that we haven't looked into yet so we'll have to check them out. Like I said in another post, it's sort of a matter of finding a place to rent in our budget that is the hardest part. Any rent in the nicer areas with good schools gets scooped up quickly, understandably so. We'll just have to keep searching until something pops up. Hopefully before the sale of our house in CT is complete and we are homeless lol.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I'd like to respond to the people saying this person can afford an expensive home down here since they are coming from CT. Not everyone in the northeast has an expensive home. Do you realize you can live in a home for around $200,000 in CT in a nice area. Please don't think that because people are moving here from another area that they have money to spend.

jdg527, we moved here from CT 8 years ago and love this area. I will send you a private message.
Yup, lol. We live in a quaint, middle-class area. We definitely have a budget and can't afford anything too crazy, especially with me not working for awhile. Thanks again for the message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee