Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 04:46 PM

3 posts, read 22,955 times

Advertisements

Hello! My girlfriend and I are planning on moving from Boston to TN in the fall. We are moving because the cost of living is better and it is easier to get into a clinical program (nursing) than here in Boston. We're trying to decided between Chattanooga and Nashville. I know that TN is not a liberal as MA but we're curious if either city is more open minded and which is a better city for gay people. Has anyone has any trouble living in TN because of people being ignorant and close minded?

Thanks for any advice you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 05:01 PM

1,325 posts, read 4,195,685 times
Nashville is much more sophisticated than Chattanooga. Chattanooga has tried to revitalize its downtown, etc. However, it is still a rather provencial small city in comparison to Nashville.
That said, Nashville is the "city of churches" and you will find a lot of people with a "love the sinner, hate the sin" sort of view towards the LGBT community. However, you will find others who are open and liberal (with more of these folks living in Nashville proper as opposed to the suburbs). However, I don't want to overgeneralize about the population.

I wish you luck wherever you may end up living

Old 01-30-2010, 06:00 PM

7,538 posts, read 17,221,758 times
If you stick to the city, either one will suit you fine. The 'burbs of both cities are much more conservative, though Nashville's liberal, urban footprint is larger than Chattanooga's.

For what it's worth, I'm gay and live in Johnson City, a town of about 60k in a metro area of about 500k in northeast TN. I don't really have any problems, but I live in the city, work in the city, and attend university in the city. Don't underestimate the conservative bent of the Tennessee burbs.

Also, Nashville will have a much better gay bar and club/night/indie scene overall than Chatty. On the upside, Chattanooga is closer to the Great Smokey Mountains, Charlotte and Atlanta.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:31 AM

569 posts, read 1,424,672 times
Hello Jaimieleef. I'm gay and my partner and I live in East Nashville. Just like the others have said...the more you get away from the core of Nashville, the more conservative it gets. Nashville itself is pretty accepting. I've lived here quite a while and I've never experienced anyone making a comment or rude remark towards me about being gay. Nashville is a city of transplants...you'd be hard pressed to meet someone who is actually from Nashville. Even so....people in the south are fairly polite....we don't even talk to the celebrities that live among us...so people aren't usually going to say things to gay people either. Nashville has matured quite a bit in the last 10-15 years for the GLBT community. The neighborhood I live in is very tight nit and filled with all kinds of people. It's also a hot spot for musicians and artists...and there's really nothing very conservative about it.

Yes...there are churches everywhere...and I can see how that seems odd if you aren't used to it...but for me...they are just buildings that get visited every Sunday and Wednesday. Not a big deal to me.

Good Luck and let me know if you need any other info

Old 01-31-2010, 08:30 AM

153 posts, read 525,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaimieleef View Post
Has anyone has any trouble living in TN because of people being ignorant and close minded?

Thanks for any advice you have!
Don't know about Chat., but most here in Nashville would be more offended by being labeled ignorant and close-minded than by you being gay!

That said, you will most likely enjoy East Nashville or the Hillsboro/Belmont area (really anyone would), but they feel the most progressive/urbanish.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:47 AM

3 posts, read 22,955 times
Default Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for your info. It is very much appreciated. Nbourbaki: I apologize if that came out wrong. I wasn't insinuating that all people in Nashville are ignorant and close minded. I was questioning whether or not people have encountered people who are ignorant/close minded. Sorry!

Again, thanks for the help. We're looking forward to exploring TN and are leaning more towards Nashville. It seems as though the job market is better than that of Chattanooga.

Old 08-01-2010, 02:12 PM

10 posts, read 61,124 times
I'm a lesbian who lives in Nashville, and I'm from Palm Springs, CA.

I've lived here for three years. My girlfriend of 8 years and I have contemplated leaving.

When we meet straight couples from California and Europe, they tell us how much they hate it here because the people are so closed minded. I know this will offend some of you, but that's how it is. Nashville is not progressive. However, Nashville is the most progressive city in Tennessee.

We will be staying because our houses are not depreciating here like everywhere else and my girlfriend has a great business. However, we travel out of state at least once a month.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Old 08-26-2011, 06:12 AM

3 posts, read 12,147 times
I have to say I'd recommend Nashville as well. There are some supportive people in Chattanooga (there are Quakers and Unitarians there), but I've walked hand in hand in downtown Chattanooga with my wife, and have to say that stern looks, etc, made that not as nice an experience as I'd wished. Chattanooga has a beautiful waterfront, friendly people, and some nice local shops, etc, so I would definitely go visit for a weekend & regularly stop in for lunch on my way to Atlanta. I am very grateful, however, to live in Nashville. I've been out here for 9 years, and while you will get some stern looks in some locations, I have NEVER gotten them in Sylvan Park, E. Nashville, Hillsboro Village, Vanderbilt, etc. Downtown is fine, though if you're holding hands, you might get a couple of drunken comments. The worst we got downtown was a thrilled and friendly yell, "LESBIANS!," by a guy in a pick-up truck. This actually didn't come off offensive at all to my wife and I. He really seemed excited and positive about it.

Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
As a Massachusetts transplant I'd also consider my now-home, Knoxville.

Old 11-17-2015, 01:44 PM

6,350 posts, read 11,580,635 times
I get the impression Knoxville and Johnson city will be a bit more tolerant than Chattanooga. But you will find supportive and intolerant people in all 3 cities.

I've read that Columbia SC ranks high for acceptance. Is SC too hot for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee