Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2006, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,377 times

Advertisements

hello..my husband is taking a new job in the dyersburg, tenn area.. can anyone tell me anything about the public school there.. i have a 15 year old daughter and need to know wheres best place to put her in school.. thanks alot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 01:12 PM

2 posts, read 9,794 times
Oh NO!! Dyersburg? Really? Man, that is too bad. Dyersburg, TN is where I have lived most of my life. I moved to Olive Branch, MS about 5 yrs ago and am so glad. Dyersburg is VERY clickish, an old money town. If you don't know someone, you are out. Now, since you are new you do have a chance. But, if anything goes wrong - anywhere - you are on the "do not socialize with" list. If you get in with the "IN-Crowd" you will be ok. I was not that kind of person, so my life there was HELL! The mayor has been the mayor all my life. It is a very political town and shady. I really don't have anything good to say about it. As far as the schools are concerned, they are worse. City schools are full of "Jones" and county schools are the very opposite (rednecks - roughnecks). I would homeshool if I were you. And be careful, the only recreation for teenagers is riding up and down Lake Rd., driving around on back roads, drinking with their boyfriends/girlfriends. Dyersburg is not a good place to raise children. If you have to move there, I would live as far away as possible and commute. Sorry, about your unfortunate luck.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 AM

6 posts, read 35,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs929 View Post
Oh NO!! Dyersburg? Really? Man, that is too bad. Dyersburg, TN is where I have lived most of my life. I moved to Olive Branch, MS about 5 yrs ago and am so glad. Dyersburg is VERY clickish, an old money town. If you don't know someone, you are out. Now, since you are new you do have a chance. But, if anything goes wrong - anywhere - you are on the "do not socialize with" list. If you get in with the "IN-Crowd" you will be ok. I was not that kind of person, so my life there was HELL! The mayor has been the mayor all my life. It is a very political town and shady. I really don't have anything good to say about it. As far as the schools are concerned, they are worse. City schools are full of "Jones" and county schools are the very opposite (rednecks - roughnecks). I would homeshool if I were you. And be careful, the only recreation for teenagers is riding up and down Lake Rd., driving around on back roads, drinking with their boyfriends/girlfriends. Dyersburg is not a good place to raise children. If you have to move there, I would live as far away as possible and commute. Sorry, about your unfortunate luck.
wtf did you get beat up and threatened or something while you were there? I live in dyersburg and i like it.. it's a typical smaller city and the mayor rs was atalking about got removed from office last election. The best school system is probably Dyersburg City Schools.. they're more about learning than Dyer County Schools. I go to DCHS because the people there are great. But yea, i'm 17 and i love dyersburg.

in just a few years dyersburg is going to experience huge growth with the Interstate 69 coming through and the completion of the Mississippii RIver port.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:10 AM

141 posts, read 981,739 times
Quote:
garbage
Good Lord.

I don't even know where to begin with a reply. It is a racist, narrow-minded reply that I will not even repeat.

I went to High School at Dyersburg High.

It is a sleepy little town, a few miles from the Mississippi. You are just a half hour south of Reelfoot Lake (fishing, and the best catfish restaurants in the region), and easily within a day trip distance of Memphis and Jackson if you need to do shopping. St Louis isn't much farther if you want a weekend in the city.

It has a small mall (Penney's and Peebles), Super Walmart, a quaint downtown, and some nice parks. It has a country club, golf courses, housing ranging from shotgun houses up to golf course mansions, and moist all of the day-to-day services that anyone would require. It also has a brand new Lowe's. In the education area, a community college and a tech school. That's not to mention a LOT of open land around if you would like to get away from civilization.

Dyersburg is now in the process of revamping the downtown area and re-focusing it on the riverfront, near the old Edenton-Lamb building. I believe the plan calls for new parks and leasable space in that area, as well as some civic improvements. Sorry I can't be more specific; I haven't checked on the goings-on in months.

Check the local paper for more info...it's called the State Gazette, and you can search for it on Google.

Sure, it's a bit clique-y. What small-town isn't? You'll find your niche. I was definitely not in the in-crowd, and I was fine.

As for schools, I really enjoyed my time at DHS. It is very academically-oriented for a small town high school. Scores are above average for the state, and in my experience the teachers and staff are very heavily invested in the community and the lives of their students. Good small-town values, but not in a xenophobic way.

Dyer County High is not as well-regarded, and is seen as the school to attend if you have no interest in college or merely want to go the community college route. Many less opportunities/resources for the academically-inclined.

The great thing about Dyer County is that you can put your kids in the city schools on a (small) tuition basis, so you are able to live out in the county but still take advantage of the superior city schools.

I don't live there any more, but I still go back all the time. Lots of friendly people if you try to fit in. Your neighbors will take a shine to you if you help them out, and will help you out.

Old 08-15-2007, 12:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,633 times
Quote:
Wow, I'm really surprised to hear such a negative reaction!! I've lived in Dyesrburg my whole life, and have never felt the way you do! And you must not know we have a new mayor, and he's really doing great things for Dyersburg. We're getting new restaurants, things are getting updated, and Dyersburg is really becoming an upcoming little town!! As for a school for your 15 y/o, you have two options. There's Dyersburg High School, which is more academically focused, and Dyer County High School, which is more vocationally focused. I hope your move to Dyersburg goes well, and you will enjoy living here!

Old 08-15-2007, 05:48 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
Just a note: The poster that I believe was bored and just wanted to stir up some heated debates, only posted twice back in January and has never been back. I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:47 PM

1 posts, read 2,169 times
Quote:

WOW! I'm suprised. I've lived in Ripley, Henning, Union City, Halls, and Jackson. I say Dyersburg is the best. The economy in Dyer County has been in decline, but it's getting back on its feet after about a 2 year resting period. I have no clue what you're talking about in crowd?? If you go to church, and have a job you will suceed in this community, and have many friends. DHS is one of the greatest schools in TN with VERY advanced scores, and very much excelling in athletics. DHS has a tradition of excellence that you can really see. Great things are happening in Dyersburg, you should come visit. I don't see how anyone wouldn't like it. Have a good day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee