Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 05:36 AM

Location: Rhode Island(an actual state that is not part of New York LOL!)
11 posts, read 22,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacation bound View Post
Welcome to the forum Countrykitty. I can't help you as far as info in moving, but I just had to tell you I had a coon hound growing up in NY. I have never seen another once since. Ours was a great dog and you just brought back some found memories. Good luck on your move. Let us know where you end up.
What kind of Coonhound did you have? I have a Treeing Walker and a Blue Tick. They are the most stubborn dogs ever but I totally adore them! You can't beat that kind of loyalty, but before I owned them I was under the impression that they were couch potatoes. They are but only afer running full throttle for 3hrs!LOL They are also clowns and crack me up every single day! I never get to talk about them cause no one knows any thing about them. And how come they are never included in books and such that explain about dog breeds?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 05:54 AM

Wink You guys rock!

You guys gave me some great info and I'm gonna check it all out. Y'all rock!Knoxville was the area that caught my attention to begin with but TN is a big state and its hard to know where to start. I do like the idea of a country setting with what I need a few minutes away. I mean I can drive from tip to tip in 1hr because RI is so small. Not a bad state but it is cold, has short summers, and is one of the most expensive states. My property is zoned for horses, but there's no where to ride except in circles in the yard! I love ATVs but no where to ride them either. And while I live in a rural setting, development is quickly taking over. I like the fact that TN is a 14hr drive from RI cause my son will be 18 next summer(I plan to move sometime around then). While I wish he would stay with me forever(he's an awsome kid!)he's already making his own plans. At least TN is a reasonable distance should he choose to stay in RI.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:08 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,216,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryKitty654 View Post
What kind of Coonhound did you have? I have a Treeing Walker and a Blue Tick. They are the most stubborn dogs ever but I totally adore them! You can't beat that kind of loyalty, but before I owned them I was under the impression that they were couch potatoes. They are but only afer running full throttle for 3hrs!LOL They are also clowns and crack me up every single day! I never get to talk about them cause no one knows any thing about them. And how come they are never included in books and such that explain about dog breeds?
There used to be quite a few people with coonhounds where I grew up. A bunch of them would take the dogs out at night and let them run (the object wasn't really to catch a coon, although I think they did knock one out of the trees from time to time just so the dogs would know their work wasn't in vain). There's probably a coonhound club or two in Tennessee.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:33 AM

Bear with me guys cause I am not computer savvy at all! Sometimes I can't even tell if my reply is posted correctly. I don't hunt myself but there are hunt clubs around here though I don't know the first thing about them. My friend who breeds them puts dead coons in trees in my yard for them which they love. I personally am not a collector of road kill like him so I givethem big fuzzy stuffed animals which they love. They had a Tickle Me Elmo that they so much fun with!

Old 02-18-2008, 07:02 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,871,648 times
Vacation bound I cant believe you've not seen a coonhound since you were a kid. People are very serious about coon hunting in my area. Competitions bring big $$. I dont care for the breed myself for a pet, too much howling and most will tag anything that runs. I did place a pretty walker that followed us out of the woods from a trial ride tho.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:03 AM

Oh, sounds like you have those world-famous Elmohound dogs then . . .

;-)

Old 02-18-2008, 09:02 AM

21 posts, read 455,847 times
Hi CountryKitty654

I'm in RI also, but we own land in Henry County, just outside of Paris, TN. I would recommend visiting a few places first. There are a wide range of differences within the state. In Paris, at the closing I was kicking my friend under the table because I couldn’t believe how the lawyer and the realtor talked about a “black fella” that actually was permitted to SELL RVs and not just clean them. I’m sure the lawyer's and realtor’s views are not indicative of everyone. You can’t make judgments about a place based on comments made by a few. Plus, lets face it, there are people in RI that would share the same view. I just share the story to make you aware that it is the south and things are different from RI. We live in a rural area too, but rural RI is no where near what Henry County is.
We visited a lot of places before deciding on the property we bought. We liked the area and it’s proximity to the lake. We also really like the Nashville area and always plan on spending a few days there when we visit TN. Plus, the Tennessee State Fair is awesome. I think the fairgrounds are as big as RI! I hope you find what you are looking for and I’m sure you can in TN. You just need to visit some places and see how it fits.

Old 02-19-2008, 05:40 AM

Elmohounds is one way to put it. I wonder if they would answer to that? Can't hurt to try cause they don't answer to any other name! Not the kind of dog for people with no patience!LOL

Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 AM

Wink Where abouts in RI?

PLCRI, you make sense. I am making plans to visit TN this summer because a friend of mine has a sister that lives in Crossville. My friend visits her about 4 times a yr and I plan to tag along as much as I can. You couldn't have said it better cause the idea of where you move to is usually different than the reality! I should have asked before but is it weird to be vegetarian down there? No big deal cause I get grief from family and friends here but just wondering!Although because of that beef recall I am vindicated(not that I would ever wish for animals to be treated that way). Anyhoo, I am really liking Knoxville because it seems like living in the coutry but with things to do should I feel like getting out. Is that accurate? PS: If I'm not being to forward where abouts in RI are you located?

Old 02-19-2008, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryKitty654 View Post
Elmohounds is one way to put it. I wonder if they would answer to that? Can't hurt to try cause they don't answer to any other name! Not the kind of dog for people with no patience!LOL
I have a cat. At least I know she's not going to come when I call; cats find being called insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee