Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2016, 09:19 AM

536 posts, read 961,782 times

Advertisements

So we are heading out for our trip this coming weekend. The first part will be spent in Columbia. We are taking a kayaking trip with The Rive Rat one day. Plan to look around Columbia and Franklin. I saw that the Polk house was in Columbia, and we'd like to visit that. Suggestions on where to eat would be helpful. In Franklin we plan to go to the downtown area, and other places (suggestions?). I'm interested in civil war history, so point me in the right direction for that. Any other interesting attractions in Columbia or Franklin we should see? I've been on trip advisor and there is a park in Columbia I want to walk in. Trying to get a feel of that area. This is a scouting trip for possible retirement locations.

The second part of our trip will be in Cookeville. We plan to spend the day looking around there, The downtown area and all. We will make a return trip later to spend more time in Cookeville, and some other areas.

Very excited to finally start visiting areas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 12:04 PM

320 posts, read 541,190 times
Too bad your trip to Cookeville wasn't scheduled for this past weekend. It was the annual Wine on the Westside event and it was just wonderful. Still, this weekend should be great too!

I've been to the Polk House long ago. I don't really remember that much about it, sorry. Franklin's downtown is great. You wont have any trouble finding somewhere to eat or shop.

Old 08-16-2016, 06:16 AM

Thank you llsmith42. We look forward to our trip. Yes, this was on the only weekend we could get away. We have 4 days.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:53 AM

Had a great time on our trip. Except for the fact it rained the whole weekend, we still managed to have a good time. We were not able to Kayak as we got rained out for that. Stayed in Columbia two nights, visited the downtown area, met a few really nice people. It amazed me that people would come up and talk to us. We don't get that here. So, this for me was huge. Visited Franklin. Such a pretty city. Toured the Lotz house. Gained some interesting history information about the area and "battle of Franklin. Again very friendly people. Would like to return and explore some more areas outside the city. Smaller towns and such. The traffic was a bit much for us on I-65 at times.

Then we went on to Cookeville. Spent time downtown. Very thriving environment. People were friendly, and would give us information about the area. There was a fire happening in some buildings not far from the downtown area, so lots of commotion going on. I sure hope no one was injured. Ate at Crawdaddy's. Very good. Shopped at some antique stores. My husband loved it. Plan to return again to spend more time there, and explore the area.

Next on the list would be outside of Knoxville, toward the east corner to Bristol. And then later somewhere outside of Chattanooga. Trying to get a feel for which area would best suit us. But I have to say Cookeville is a strong contender. We need more time there to explore.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
If you liked Franklin and Cookeville, you'll probably enjoy downtown Knoxville (very quaint), Jonesborough/Johnson City, and Bristol/Abingdon.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:51 PM

Thank you for suggestions Jabogitlu. I see your location is Kenai Alaska. I am from Alaska. I was raised in Anchorage from age 14 till late 30s. Lived in Palmer for about 5 years before I left the state, and had a cabin near Kenai. My daughter still lives in Anchorage. I do miss the beauty of Alaska!

I have stayed in downtown Knoxville. It is very nice there. I have not been to JC or Bristol yet.

Old 08-22-2016, 03:17 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Howdy. I was born and raised in Greeneville, TN, about halfway between Knoxville and Johnson City. Alaska is definitely beautiful, but has been rainy as heck this year. It's rained every day for over a month now! We're getting Juneau weather, not Anchorage weather.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralj View Post
Thank you for suggestions Jabogitlu. I see your location is Kenai Alaska. I am from Alaska. I was raised in Anchorage from age 14 till late 30s. Lived in Palmer for about 5 years before I left the state, and had a cabin near Kenai. My daughter still lives in Anchorage. I do miss the beauty of Alaska!

I have stayed in downtown Knoxville. It is very nice there. I have not been to JC or Bristol yet.
When did you stay in Knoxville?

Old 08-23-2016, 05:51 AM

Jabogitlu, oh yes I remember the rain. I moved there in 1976, my dad was in the air force. I do remember some summers where it rained the whole time. Everything grows so big there too. So what is Greeneville, TN like? I've heard of that area. I've heard it's pretty there.

hiknapster: I stayed in Knoxville, in May when I had a friend visiting. We stayed downtown in the holiday inn. Went to the Square and ate at Tupelo Honey. My first Fried Green Tomato. The down town area is very nice. Also we went to a park and walked. It was right in the city. Walked along the river. Then we got adventurous and decided to head W on I-40 to Nashville. Stopped in Cookeville to fill up with gas, and went through Nashville. In the past I have been to Gatlinburg also. I've been there twice, and love the Smokey mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee