Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 09:24 PM

4 posts, read 27,824 times

Advertisements

I've been reading every post I can find trying to make up our minds on where we're going to move to and I've really begun to second guess our choice of TN. Now I realize that anywhere and everywhere has racism and hatred, but here lately in these posts it has been very evident that alot of people dislike Hispanics, especially Mexicans which really worries me. My husband is Mexican, and I am American and we have three small kids. Now that being said, I feel like just for writing that I'll probally be told to stay the heck away from TN. We would like to move somewhere where we can live in peace and harmony with our neighbors, grow our business, contribute to our community, and raise our kids and live happily. What I would like to know is if we move there what can I expect ? And where would be a better place for my family? Any help would be wonderful, and honest anwsers really appreciated.

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas

Old 12-19-2006, 10:30 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea323 View Post
I've been reading every post I can find trying to make up our minds on where we're going to move to and I've really begun to second guess our choice of TN. Now I realize that anywhere and everywhere has racism and hatred, but here lately in these posts it has been very evident that alot of people dislike Hispanics, especially Mexicans which really worries me. My husband is Mexican, and I am American and we have three small kids. Now that being said, I feel like just for writing that I'll probally be told to stay the heck away from TN. We would like to move somewhere where we can live in peace and harmony with our neighbors, grow our business, contribute to our community, and raise our kids and live happily. What I would like to know is if we move there what can I expect ? And where would be a better place for my family? Any help would be wonderful, and honest anwsers really appreciated.

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas
You're right, there is racism everywhere, unfortunately.

I think if you aim for college towns and larger cities in Tennessee you should do fine. I don't think anyone has a problem with Mexicans per se, just illegals. In some towns (Monterey, Morristown) there are thousands of Hispanic immigrants who have arrived in just the last few years. That has made some of the locals rather uneasy. I'm sure they would've been just as uneasy if it has been a swarm of Germans or Canadians or Chinese who had "invaded" their small towns, too.

For the record, there's no such thing as a Mexican "race" or an Hispanic "race" so people's feelings of uneasiness towards Hispanic immigrants is not a racial issue at all.

At any rate, like I said earlier, I think if you stick with college towns or larger cities, you shouldn't have any problems, and that's probably the way in most states, not just Tennessee.

I hope you and your family will still move to Tennessee!

Old 12-20-2006, 07:26 AM

203 posts, read 766,390 times
Default I agree with JMT

I haven't moved yet, and I'm not hispanic, but coming from CA where there are hundreds of illegal immigrants arriving daily, I believe that "racism" focuses not on the specific nationality of the person but on that persons lack of desire to assimilate into their new area. It's the ones that come into America and want everyone to change things for them. From the language that we speak and teach in schools, to the signs on roads, instruction manuals with new products, even our laws. They show no willingness to learn the the rules, but assume that what they did in their previous home is going to be okay here.

I know there are lots of people that generalize the whole thing, but IMO it's the people, regardless of race, color, gender, etc., that think that the rules don't apply to them because they weren't born here, that are at the root of racism.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-20-2006, 07:39 AM

14 posts, read 69,688 times
Hmmmm, Not wanting to assimilate, and trying to make their new home just like their old one....sounds like the same thing some of us do when we move ;>) Explains why some are finding the reception not as friendly as they hoped.....

Old 12-20-2006, 08:09 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,909,633 times
Andrea323: you are American and your husband is Mexican? I dont think you would have problems in most places in the US, however, if you married a black--most people do not approve of that and would not be so friendly i dont think. But Mexican?? No, you shouldnt have a problem--people dont like us blacks, they like Asians and hispanics more because they look more white.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:27 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,657,750 times
Andrea, Chattanooga has a growing population of hispanic people. My street has 16 houses and 3 of those house hispanic families and 2 black families. I have seen no issues in our little pocket or anything disturbing in the whole of Chattanooga. Of course there are always "instances" in every town, but nothing alarming as far as racial issues. Just the usual crap you hear in every town. Our hispanic population started in the north of the county where the working farms are in the form of migrant workers and also from the south (Dalton GA). Now we have ppl from Ecuador, Mexico, Guatamala etc. There are many Catholic churches and other organizations that are embracing that culture. This may be a sign of the times here in our town. We also have tons of little "tiendas" if your hubby wants some good food (no offense lol).

Old 12-20-2006, 11:39 AM

2 posts, read 32,440 times
Andrea323, Tennessee is a beautiful state that embraces family values and faith. That is one of the reasons why my husband and I invested in a home in Cookeville, TN. Cookeville is a small college town. This fact made me more comfortable -- I wasn't too keen on the idea of a Mexican (very ethnic looking by the way) moving to the South which has been historically prejudiced against people of color. This said, I have found the people of Cookeville, and Tennessee in general, to be warm and friendly and have yet to experience prejudice or racism in any form. The attitude toward “illegals” in this forum has worried me and continues to worry me. The “immigrants” I’ve met seem to come from South America and some were farm workers from Mexico. The latter group are not illegals by any means. These men are recruited from small towns in Mexico to farm the land through guest worker programs which are costing farmers a lot of money. The problem is that “Americans” are unwilling to work that hard for the pay that these brave man (leaving their towns and families for months at a time) are willing to do. As to assimilation, I think that if we look at our history, all immigrants irregardless of nationality, prefer to live with their “own people.” I would say that this is true even of “Americans” that move across the country! I for one, had to slow down my Speedy Gonzales pace to that of Tennesseans who tend to be mellow and in less of a rush. After all, in Cookeville rush hour means that there are 5 cars in the road rather than 1! It is this mellower pace that I love. All in all, I think that if we treat people with respect, irregardless of their education, nationality or legal status, one will receive back that respect ten fold. One must keep in mind that racism and prejudice has always been fuled by ignorance and generalizations.

Old 12-20-2006, 11:58 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
I too don't think there will be an issue for you and your family in any larger TN town although I can only speak for the East side as that is where we live. My sister-in-law is Mexican and when she visits and we go out and about, no one treats her any different than anyone else. I agree I think the issues are not racist but "illegal" and you can't tell by looking at someone if they are here legally or not, no matter what race, creed, color, religion etc.
My church has a Spanish mass every Sunday and there are many families that attend.
Hope that helps.
Merry Christmas!

Old 12-20-2006, 01:53 PM

2 posts, read 32,440 times
Moderator cut: quoted post cut
Good God! You appear to be an example of the racism I keep reading in this forum. Do you realize that there is only one human race! That genetically speaking, there is more variance within "whites" than there is between "whites and blacks." I am married to a very wonderful "white gentleman" that I adore. If I am understanding you correctly, you would have no respect for either of us -- two well educated, hard working Americans!

Old 12-20-2006, 02:50 PM

1 posts, read 16,224 times
i think here in tn there are a bunch of ignorants, u can tell than illegals are coming every day and gangs or u can only marry with one of ur kind,and u know ,that is ignorant,i know a lot of people born here than don't know even write English their own lenguas. Man that's why Americans can understand about other races.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee